Strength of old elpro close-up filters.

On 4/28/2019 at 9:50 AM, Dave in Wales said:

With the price of the newish Elpro 52 at £300 I thought I'd source some old elpro ones.

But what the heck is the strength in diopters of each one, I cant find it.

Dave, you should consider buying Günter Osterloh book Applied Leica Technique … for Leica R cameras /lenses.  Pages 163-167 document all the Leitz Elpro c/u lenses' specifications including thread sizes and diopter strengths. Leitz Elpro prices can vary tremendously; shop around and attend s/h camera fairs for bargain buys. There are several Elpro threads on the forum including an E52 comparison 

Regards

dunk 

34 minutes ago, dkCambridgeshire said:

Dave, you should consider buying Günter Osterloh book Applied Leica Technique … for Leica R cameras /lenses.  Pages 163-167 document all the Leitz Elpro c/u lenses' specifications including thread sizes and diopter strengths. Leitz Elpro prices can vary tremendously; shop around and attend s/h camera fairs for bargain buys. There are several Elpro threads on the forum including an E52 comparison 

Regards

dunk 

Very many thanks dunk, most helpful.

Dave

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/3/2019 at 9:27 AM, Dave in Wales said:

My 'Mint' Elpro 2 has arrived, considering it could be as early as 1976, it's as new :) It cost me £60 inc P&P.

You'll notice it has two threads, one is a 55mm the other measures 43.7mm, could be for a 44mm....anyone know what it's for :confused:

I'm going to test it and the Raynox 150 side by side, I'll post my findings.

Images borrowed from seller.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Dave, did you manage to find a filter to fit the Elpro 2? 

I have one but can't seem to get it to fit on any lens?

Thanks

Rosie

41 minutes ago, Rosebud55 said:

Thanks

Rosie

Not too sure I understand the question, what 'filter' are you referring to. The Expro 2 has two 55mm threads, one male the other female and a 44mm male thread for attaching it to an 'R' lens, I think....?????

I use a step up ring 52/55 to attach it to my 18-56mm, although I have found it to be of little use. The 18-56 at 56 set to closest focusing distance gives nearly the same magnification as the E2 and when minimally cropped the images are the same size. Port-hole type vignetting is apparent from 18 to about 35mm. I don't regret getting it however, it's as new, cost me £55....AND....has the magic words 'Leitz Wetzler Germany' on the side....and...it's a very good optic :) what's not to like.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, Rosebud55 said:

Thanks

Rosie

8 minutes ago, Dave in Wales said:

Not too sure I understand the question, what 'filter' are you referring to. The Expro 2 has two 55mm threads, one male the other female and a 44mm male thread for attaching it to an 'R' lens, I think....?????

I use a step up ring 52/55 to attach it to my 18-56mm, although I have found it to be of little use. The 18-56 at 56 set to closest focusing distance gives nearly the same magnification as the E2 and when minimally cropped the images are the same size. Port-hole type vignetting is apparent from 18 to about 35mm. I don't regret getting it however, it's as new, cost me £55....AND....has the magic words 'Leitz Wetzler Germany' on the side....and...it's a very good optic :) what's not to like.

The Elpro 2 was originally designed for use with a Leitz R 50mm Summicron but can be used with any FF 50mm lens (subject to, if necessary, use of a suitable stepping ring) … and also usually works with FF 35mm lenses without vignetting. Use with e.g. an 18mm focal length lens on APS format i.e. approx 28mm FF equiv. will likely result in vignetting. This photo shows an Elpro 2 adapted to a Leica X1 camera; the X1's filter adapter tube has a 49mm filter thread - thus required a 49mm to 55mm stepping ring to attach the Elpro 2 … which has a dual 44mm/55mm attachment thread.   The Leica X1's 24mm lens (36mm FF equivalent) is 'hidden' inside the 'third party' filter adapter tube.  

dunk 

• Like 1

Hi guys, apologies, I was in the process of finding filters for a trip and meant to ask about how to fit the elpro 2. Thanks to dunk I now have the answer. I have an old summicron R 50 so I will try that first and then get the appropriate stepping ring as necessary.

dave, do you have any photos yet you’ve taken with the elpro?

thanks

rosie

1 hour ago, Rosebud55 said:

Hi guys, apologies, I was in the process of finding filters for a trip and meant to ask about how to fit the elpro 2. Thanks to dunk I now have the answer. I have an old summicron R 50 so I will try that first and then get the appropriate stepping ring as necessary.

dave, do you have any photos yet you’ve taken with the elpro?

thanks

rosie

I have a few, this is the only one that I have so far, gotten around to processing.

Edited by Dave in Wales
  • Like 2

On 5/3/2019 at 4:27 AM, Dave in Wales said:

My 'Mint' Elpro 2 has arrived, considering it could be as early as 1976, it's as new :) It cost me £60 inc P&P.

You'll notice it has two threads, one is a 55mm the other measures 43.7mm, could be for a 44mm....anyone know what it's for :confused:

I'm going to test it and the Raynox 150 side by side, I'll post my findings.

Images borrowed from seller.

Hello David,

I think that 43.7mm is the size of the thread for either a Series VI (14160) or a Series VII (14161) retaining ring. Does your lens take Series Vi or Series VII filters?

Best Regards,

Michael

Summicron (Canada) 50mm R f2 lens with contemporary Elpro close up adapter.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Michael Geschlecht said:

Hello David,

I think that 43.7mm is the size of the thread for either a Series VI (14160) or a Series VII (14161) retaining ring. Does your lens take Series Vi or Series VII filters?

Best Regards,

Michael

Series VI is 44mm; Series VII is 54mm … all explained / documented in Günter Osterloh's "Excellence in Photography Applied LEICA Technique' book which includes a whole section covering Leica R,  'THE NEAR RANGE' … which includes Leica R Elpro c/u lenses.  Save yourselves a lot of time and head scratching by considering purchasing a s/h copy … as suggested in #22 above.  Shop around for Elpro lenses, buy them for less than £10 each,  https://www.mwclassic.com/?post_type=product&s=Elpro+  … and then wonder how you ever managed without them.

You'll need to use some ingenuity to adapt them to non-Series VI and VII filter threads … but can be done by judicious use of scrap filter mounts and epoxy resin

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/207639-qd-coin-photography-with-x-vario/?do=findComment&comment=2360727

Since posting above thread I've purchased a custom made Series VI adapter from SRB … price varies depending on 'express' or 'regular' manufacture. They also sell Series VII adapters 'from stock'   https://www.srb-photographic.co.uk/55mm-series-7-adaptor-step-ring-10578-p.asp  … other Series VII adapter sizes available 

dunk 

Edited by dkCambridgeshire
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, dkCambridgeshire said:

Series VI is 44mm; Series VII is 54mm … all explained / documented in Günter Osterloh's "Excellence in Photography Applied LEICA Technique' book which includes a whole section covering Leica R,  'THE NEAR RANGE' … which includes Leica R Elpro c/u lenses.  Save yourselves a lot of time and head scratching by considering purchasing a s/h copy … as suggested in #22 above.  Shop around for Elpro lenses, buy them for less than £10 each,  https://www.mwclassic.com/?post_type=product&s=Elpro+  … and then wonder how you ever managed without them.

You'll need to use some ingenuity to adapt them to non-Series VI and VII filter threads … but can be done by judicious use of scrap filter mounts and epoxy resin

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/207639-qd-coin-photography-with-x-vario/?do=findComment&comment=2360727

Since posting above thread I've purchased a custom made Series VI adapter from SRB … price varies depending on 'express' or 'regular' manufacture. They also sell Series VII adapters 'from stock'   https://www.srb-photographic.co.uk/55mm-series-7-adaptor-step-ring-10578-p.asp  … other Series VII adapter sizes available 

dunk 

Hello Dunk,

Thank you for all of that information.

Are you writing that this Elpro with a 43.7mm wide front filter thread (Pitch not noted.) fits a lens that takes Leitz/Leica Series VI filters?

Best Regards,

Michael

^^^ Yes … that's why Elpro R c/u lenses are engraved: 'ELPRO VIa' and 'ELPRO VIb' (Series VI, i.e. M44mm x 0.75 pitch) … and 'Elpro VIIa' and 'Elpro VIIb' (Series VII, i.e. M54 x 0.75 pitch) … as documented in the book.

dunk

Edited by dkCambridgeshire
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, dkCambridgeshire said:

'Series' filters and 'Series' retaining rings

https://camerapedia.fandom.com/wiki/Series_filters

… appear to be different sizes to Leitz Elpro 'Series'

dunk 

Hello Dunk,

Looks good to me.

A Series VII filter has a diameter of exactly 2 inches.

The retaining ring is unscrewed. Then the filter with NO thread is put in place. Then the retaining ring has to be replaced. 

Unless the lens hood keeps the filter in place.

The diameter of the threaded ring has to be larger than the diameter of the filter that is fitting into the space.

Any luck finding the diameter & pitch for a Series VIII filter retaining ring?

Best Regards,

Michael