Strength of old elpro close-up filters.

I use an Elpro 3 I think at the time i did some research and settled on the 3 as this would be the closest focus. The old ones are mostly 55mm thread so you would need a step up ring 55-60.

This is the only one I have ever used or owned so I cannot comment about the others.

I have the ELPRO VIIa and VIIb close up lenses. I found the pair of them available on Ebay for about US$60, and bought a set of step-up/step-down adapter rings so I could use them on all my M and R lenses. (Series VII, btw, is a 54mm thread; a little difficult to find, so in most cases I have x to 52mm, and use a 52mm to Series VII adapter with it). The various adapter rings cost as much if not more than the ELPRO VII pair, but the whole kit remains a bargain compared to a £300 ELPRO 52mm close up lens! 

The ELPRO close-up lenses are superb quality, used singly or stacked. Fitted on the Pentax-L 43mm f/1.9 Limited singly and stacked, they provide the range from minimum native focus (1m) down to about 18cm with virtually no distortion to speak of. I have used the CL with this lens and the ELPRO close up lenses to do negative copy work (with a copy stand and flat-panel light box) and seen no degradation in quality compared to using the Macro-Elmarit-R 60mm. 

I don't know what diopter the VIIa and VIIb are. 

This is my test sequence with the Pentax-L 43mm f/1.9 Limited mounted on the CL body. All full frame, ISO 100 @ f/2.8. Subject distance noted is from the back edge of the hot shoe to the critical focus plane. The height of the dragon's head is about 2.5cm. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dang. I dropped the ELPRO VIIb today and dented the front threaded ring. Can't screw anything into the front of it now. :( 

Luckily, there are several available for sale, and they're not that expensive. I ordered another... sigh. 

2 hours ago, Marac said:

So it was YOU then :) enjoy, they are a fun accessory. 

:D

I've got a Raynox 150 coming as well to do a side-by-side test......IQ, fall-off, vignetting, distance etc.

My heart tells me to keep the Elpro, I wonder just what my head will tell me.

The Raynox is a 2-group/3-element completely different animal.

Watch this space.

Edited by Dave in Wales

I had a Raynox 250 once upon a time ... might still have it in here somewhere. I used to use it with a Sony F707 camera for extreme close up work. It did a good job!

But I have a much better setup now for extreme close up work: I use the CL with a Leica Focusing Bellows-R + Summicron-R 50mm for that. Up to 3:1 magnification and stunning quality. Also have 60 Macro, 100 macro (bellows mount) and 135 mm lenses for bellow use. 

Many options! :D

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, ramarren said:

I had a Raynox 250 once upon a time ... might still have it in here somewhere. I used to use it with a Sony F707 camera for extreme close up work. It did a good job!

But I have a much better setup now for extreme close up work: I use the CL with a Leica Focusing Bellows-R + Summicron-R 50mm for that. Up to 3:1 magnification and stunning quality. Also have 60 Macro, 100 macro (bellows mount) and 135 mm lenses for bellow use. 

I've had dedicated Macro lenses in the past, both Nikon and Olympus, both outstanding IQ. I have also used reversed Canon and Pentax lenses for extreme magnification.

I now consider that splashing out a vast sum on the 60 Macro to be ill spent as it would remain most of the time in my bag.

A supplementary close up filter around +5 diopter will do all I ask of it now.

Olympus E-M1:2, reversed 28mm Pentax lens and Oly ring flash....all since sold.

Edited by Dave in Wales
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ramarren said:

I too have a Summicron R (made in Canada) that my father owned, and recently bought an Elpro that screws straight on. Garden photography results are stunning and beyond comprehension in detail and separation in close ups.I think one of the attributes of the 60 Macro is a very pleasing focal length equivalent of course to 90 mm full frame, but the 55-135 Elmarit is the master of that field, with breathtaking performance.

• Like 1

My 'Mint' Elpro 2 has arrived, considering it could be as early as 1976, it's as new :) It cost me £60 inc P&P.

You'll notice it has two threads, one is a 55mm the other measures 43.7mm, could be for a 44mm....anyone know what it's for :confused:

I'm going to test it and the Raynox 150 side by side, I'll post my findings.

Images borrowed from seller.

Edited by Dave in Wales

Interesting. A bit different from the ELPRO VIIa and VIIb in design. For R 2/ 50 mm means it was designed for the Summicron-R 50mm ... I'll have to measure the front thread on mine, but don't have time until next week. I'm sure it's not 55mm, however, so likely the inner threaded portion is for that lens. 

Threaded Series VII attachments have a 54mm coupling thread, just to make things even more confusing. :)

On 5/1/2019 at 2:12 PM, Petercoll said:

but the 55-135 Elmarit is the master of that field, with breathtaking performance.

thanks for this. What are you using for close-up filter? I've a Marumi Achromat +5 filter that will fit, but still debating whether I'll keep the lens.

Edited by bags27

Sigh!  I sold all myR8, Elpros and R lenses when I bought a Canon 30D - to go digital in 2005.  Still kept my M6 and lenses, at least, so not a complete fool 😯

Edited by rob_w

I didn't buy into Leica R system until 2011-2012 ... when the prices had collapsed. I'd always wanted Leica R (specifically the Leicaflex SL, which I fell in love with in 1968!) but simply couldn't afford the prices before. I have both that and the R6.2 now, in addition to a nice lens kit ... and they're every bit as good as I'd always imagined. 

One of the reasons for buying in when I did was that I felt that these R lenses would be fantastic for the upcoming mirrorless cameras, and a little birdy told me that something really neat was coming out of Leica "soon" ... That was the SL, shipped in 2015. They work just as well with the CL and T/TL too. The R macro gear I have now rocks when used with the CL (and SL). :D

If I buy a Hasselblad X1D body, I'll be buying a Leica R to X mount adapter too. I've seen some work done with these lenses on that camera and the results are outstanding there too. Coverage on the 33x44 mm sensor is remarkably good with minimal vignetting, etc, for most lenses. 

Edited by ramarren
  • Like 1