Advertisement (gone after registration)

18 hours ago, LocalHero1953 said:

I bought a Canon crop sensor kit (550D) a while ago (sold it a while ago as well). Even in the shop I could see it was worth spending more to get a better zoom lens than the one on offer.

Very strange, my 18-55 EF-S IS II which came with 500D was sharp, no flaring. Pictures taking with it were in use for local election and our daughter used it for clip making.

Canon can make very nice lenses, but there are a few lemons as well. For instance, the 300 4.0 L is nearly as good as the Apo-Telyt, but the first version  of the 100-400 L a once-but-never-again experience. The 17-40 L was my most-used lens in my (relatively short) Canon days. However, the 16-55 TL is clearly better.

1 hour ago, Ko.Fe. said:

Very strange, my 18-55 EF-S IS II which came with 500D was sharp, no flaring. Pictures taking with it were in use for local election and our daughter used it for clip making.

You've forced me to check through my catalogue to remind myself what lenses I used then. 
First off, it was the Canon 500D I bought, not the 550D.
The lens on offer with the kit was the 18-55 EF-S, but I can't see which version. It wasn't a USM version anyway.
I upgraded in the shop to the 17-55 IS USM, which was much faster focusing, and, as far as I could judge on the spot, with better detail towards the edges. The f/2.8 was an added attraction.

Sadly the Canon 500D and 17-55 were badly shown up when I borrowed a M9 and fitted my Summicron-M 35 v4. An unfair comparison, but it tipped me over the edge back into Leica land for the first time since moving to digital.

9 hours ago, LocalHero1953 said:

You've forced me to check through my catalogue to remind myself what lenses I used then. 
First off, it was the Canon 500D I bought, not the 550D.
The lens on offer with the kit was the 18-55 EF-S, but I can't see which version. It wasn't a USM version anyway.
I upgraded in the shop to the 17-55 IS USM, which was much faster focusing, and, as far as I could judge on the spot, with better detail towards the edges. The f/2.8 was an added attraction.

Sadly the Canon 500D and 17-55 were badly shown up when I borrowed a M9 and fitted my Summicron-M 35 v4. An unfair comparison, but it tipped me over the edge back into Leica land for the first time since moving to digital.

Maybe yours was without IS. Those 18-55 were awful, but Canon was continue selling them with 1000 Rebel Series.