Fuji Acros 100

james.liam

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Was rummaging through my freezer for hamburger when I stumbled upon 3 rolls I’d bought back in 2013 to try out and never did. It expired back in ‘14. 

- How long can film last in a -5C freezer?

- What distinguishes it from presently  available ISO 100 B&W?

ACROS was Fuji's B&W entry in the "tabloid grain" sweepstakes, along with Ilford Delta 100 and Kodak TMax 100. As with those others, it was extra-fine grain for its ISO, but persnickety about exposure and development compared to old-school cubic grain films (Plus-X (R.I.P.), FP4+, Neopan 100 SS, etc.)

IMHE, it is a bit closer to TMax 100 than to Delta, but depends on which developer and EI are chosen. I used ACROS 100 120 during the TMax 100 120 drought a couple of years ago and the negs fit right in with my TMax negs. I metered for the box ISO (in 120 size, hand-held Sekonic), but many others do like Tmx above, and down-rate to 80.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Until its untimely demise, Acros 100 was my 'default' medium speed b&w film in both 35mm and 120.  Metered at ISO 80 and developed in Rodinal R09 1:50.  Very pleasing results and lovely tonality. An example from my last roll, shot in early March.

M7, 50mm C-Sonnar f1.5.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/27/2019 at 11:13 PM, Tmx said:

No worries. You can use the film as usual. I would recommend 80 ASA which generally applies for the most developer combinations. 

I won't be developing it myself, so should it still be shot @ ISO 80?

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/28/2019 at 3:44 AM, james.liam said:

- What distinguishes it from presently  available ISO 100 B&W?

Acros 100 is has more contrast and more obvious grain structure than any other 'T' grain film I have used.  It also has exceptional reciprocity, up to two minutes before you'll need to compensate.

It was a sad day when Fujifilm discontinued Acros 100.