Green fringing

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello, Everybody, I'm the new owner of a CL with 35mm Summilux. I am disturbed by green fringing around chrome in bright sunlight. See top of windshield and vents on dash. I am unable to get rid of it in Photoshop or Adobe Camera Raw. Is this normal for this lens? How do you get rid of it in post processing, what program do you use? Thanks, Don

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, iShutterbug said:

Hello, Everybody, I'm the new owner of a CL with 35mm Summilux. I am disturbed by green fringing around chrome in bright sunlight. See top of windshield and vents on dash. I am unable to get rid of it in Photoshop or Adobe Camera Raw. Is this normal for this lens? How do you get rid of it in post processing, what program do you use? Thanks, Don

I use the same elements. Never noticed before......Ill go back and check. Nice shot.

4 hours ago, iShutterbug said:

Welcome. Wide lens, big aperture, bright sun. I’d call that as chromatic abberation, you should find a slider to deal with that for that in either programme.

Edited by Dippy

That looks like  simple chromatic aberration.- Although reflection on the chrome is also possible, as noted above.  It can be seen on many  lenses and has been discussed in this forum on a regular basis.  If it is CA nearly all postprocessing programs have a tool to eliminate it.

Lightroom:

• Like 1

Thank you all for your help and advice. She left me for a guy with a ff Sony and no chromatic aberration. Just joking. :);) The shot in question was shot at ISO 100, f/1.4, 1/1250sec, DNG, no post processing, resized in PS (1000px longest side jpg) to upload here. I was able to remove some of the green fringing but not all and that bothers me. Frankly the lens does not show me enough to have to put up with that. I have an RMA to send the lens back this weekend for refund. I have the 18mm, 23mm and 60mm and will sorely miss the 35mm format. I shot Leica film cameras up until ten years ago when I sold everything and went digital. For serious stuff I shoot D850 w Otus 85 and all the rest of it. I'm afraid the Summilux has to go and frankly now I regret getting the CL system. I call it the "dumb camera" the way it's designed with the wheels and errant focus spot and all and crop sensor. Should've waited for the Q2-P. 

Edited by iShutterbug
added sentence
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, iShutterbug said:

Thank you all for your help and advice. She left me for a guy with a ff Sony and no chromatic aberration. Just joking. :);) The shot in question was shot at ISO 100, f/1.4, 1/1250sec, DNG, no post processing, resized in PS (1000px longest side jpg) to upload here. I was able to remove some of the green fringing but not all and that bothers me. Frankly the lens does not show me enough to have to put up with that. I have an RMA to send the lens back this weekend for refund. I have the 18mm, 23mm and 60mm and will sorely miss the 35mm format. I shot Leica film cameras up until ten years ago when I sold everything and went digital. For serious stuff I shoot D850 w Otus 85 and all the rest of it. I'm afraid the Summilux has to go and frankly now I regret getting the CL system. I call it the "dumb camera" the way it's designed with the wheels and errant focus spot and all and crop sensor. Should've waited for the Q2-P. 

Ok so auto iso didn’t bite you, and I wouldn’t have expected it to in such bright light. I set iso myself always. 

I find it all but impossible to take a dng and get a good result without a color profile. Even adobe stock profiles in Lightroom are better than a straight dng. Straight dng is just too bland. 

Dont give up the cL, or the 35mm.. you’re simply not using it to it’s best advantage. It’s a spectacular lens and a great little camera, but you have a little work to do to maximize them both.

Trust me, a Q2 will not magically solve your issue, you’ll find identical results plus the addition of distorted faces from that 28mm lens. 

The wheels are quite smart once you spend some more time with them. Also, I did some wheel swapping to get them the way I work with my fingers.  I’ll link you a Flickr album with my cL shots, and I think you’ll scratch your head a little.  

If if I were to move to any other Leica, it would be an m10.

and bright sun is always a bear.

Edited by justbananas

I know someone with a q, and he comments often how unhappy he is. He shoots wide open, auto iso, auto everything, straight jpg only, with little to zero processing. He showed me a photo with some major color shift, he was disgruntled... a quick look revealed iso 52000!! No wonder! And I blame that process for the lackluster results.

On the cL, I never ever ever go above 6400 iso, and that’s an extreme. 100, 200 or 800... I try to stick to one of those three. Flip back a page or two in the image forum, all my recent photos are with that 35tl 

Edited by justbananas
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, iShutterbug said:

Thank you all for your help and advice. She left me for a guy with a ff Sony and no chromatic aberration. 

Do you think she will leave you for a guy with a 911? If affirmative, I will send you the address.

• Haha 1

Thank you (again), guys. Cooler and more experienced heads have prevailed. I do have the RMA and box and shipping label, etc., right over there, but I really don't want to part with it. I've had a (original) Summarit, a Summaron and a Summicron but never a Summilux--and one with AF! One thing the CL does is focus! What justbananas said about the Q and what lct said about shooting chrome at f/1.4 in direct sunlight swayed me. I shot a Leica since I was thirteen (my dad's camera) had one with me ever since up until ten years ago. My film Leicas were all screwmount and there were the calibration and focus problems and then my eyesight became a problem. To stay in the Leica family I will keep the 35 Summilux-TL and learn to adapt--no, learn to use it. :) 

And, Gobert, if I ever see her again I'll ask her. :) 

Wait. What?

Isn't that just your subjective opinion? That's not green, it's the blue tint of the film in the windshield. 

I'm surprised this thread didn't turn into a discussion of color theory and how it's so totally subjective. Even cultures have different interpretations. . . 

/shrug

Good call on giving the 35 another chance, it is a great lens. I've also experienced the same when shooting an image that contains shiny/reflective items in full sunlight at 1.4 - fringing around the overexposed highlights.  Maybe try adding an ND filter in situations like this with this lens if you want to shoot fully open & need to limit the DoF. Otherwise stop it down a bit to limit the side-effect.

Edited by stustustu