How often do you need rangefinder calibration?

JeTexas

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I was just checking in to see how often you guys wind up needing rangefinder calibration. I had to have my 240 calibrated back in November of last year, and it's already noticeably off again. At this point I believe my M is almost 4 years old, and I don't remember having to have it calibrated in the first two years at all. 

I'm not sure if it's just age and wear or too much travel and getting shaken around in my bag. 

I'm lucky to have a local Leica certified shop that can calibrate it, but I still have to give it up for a few days and it costs $100 each time.

Definitely have to get it serviced before my next big shoot May 10, but I would really expect a calibration to last more than six months. 

I had an M240-P for 4 years and it never needed any work done to it. I can only think that there must be something unusual about your M240, or you are subjecting it to harsh treatment.

As a dealer recalibrated it in November 2018 they really ought to recalibrate it free of charge if it has lasted under 6 months.

• Like 1

It shouldn't need any calibration in a life time... until you bought a bad/good lens.  when that day came, you need to find a way to determine whether the body or the lens is bad.  I've seen bad new lens AND bad new body both out of a sealed box.  The odd of having both bad at the same time is also possible too.  if you send your gear to leica and your leica tech decided to calibrate the good for the bad, you are screwed.  I am not sure why they do that but they are doing it.  It is ridiculous but all I can say is good luck. 

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

25 minutes ago, jaeger said:

It shouldn't need any calibration in a life time... until you bought a bad/good lens.  when that day came, you need to find a way to determine whether the body or the lens is bad.  I've seen bad new lens AND bad new body both out of a sealed box.  The odd of having both bad at the same time is also possible too.  if you send your gear to leica and your leica tech decided to calibrate the good for the bad, you are screwed.  I am not sure why they do that but they are doing it.  It is ridiculous but all I can say is good luck. 

Leica doesn’t calibrate the lens to match the camera, or vice versa.  They calibrate each to an independent standard. The reason they ask customers to send in body and lens(es) is to avoid guesses, ensure all is within tolerance, and minimize wasted back and forth time and effort. 

Jeff

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, JeTexas said:

I was just checking in to see how often you guys wind up needing rangefinder calibration. I had to have my 240 calibrated back in November of last year, and it's already noticeably off again. At this point I believe my M is almost 4 years old, and I don't remember having to have it calibrated in the first two years at all. 

I'm not sure if it's just age and wear or too much travel and getting shaken around in my bag. 

I'm lucky to have a local Leica certified shop that can calibrate it, but I still have to give it up for a few days and it costs $100 each time.

Definitely have to get it serviced before my next big shoot May 10, but I would really expect a calibration to last more than six months. 

Maybe the adjustment loosened up the fasteners that locate the focusing elements? A small movement in those parts could have a big affect.

I used to have to adjust my Epson R-D1 constantly, and it seemed to get worse over time (although I got better at "fixing" it). I bet some of the parts simply weren't as tight as they were when new.

twice for me....both times after I've banged or dropped the cameras.

I was lucky....there's an old service tech in Hong Kong called Mr Panda, and he's adjusted both my old M9 and my M10 both times free-of-charge. It only takes a few minutes.

Have been using two MP bodies since 2005/06. Once, one of them needed factory calibration. That happened after using a DR Summicron and repeatedly switching between close and far focus positions, a process that involved some force, at least on my copy of the DR Summicron.

3 hours ago, Jeff S said:

Leica doesn’t calibrate the lens to match the camera, or vice versa.  They calibrate each to an independent standard. The reason they ask customers to send in body and lens(es) is to avoid guesses, ensure all is within tolerance, and minimize wasted back and forth time and effort. 

Jeff

it is so wrong information.  They did mine and all fed up now. 

It's definitely my rangefinder, not the lenses. I did test shots with the 28, 50 and 90, and they're all backfocusing about the same distance. I carry the camera to and from work daily and on and off the sailboat on the weekends. Currently getting by the last scheduled shoots this week with the digital viewfinder, but waiting on it between shots definitely slows me down some. 

I had to have my M9 done once in the two years I owned that. With my 240, it had to go into Leica once for a bad top plate connection that was fixed under warranty during my second year of use. I'm sure they checked the rangefinder calibration when they did all that. Then it had to go in last November. It was definitely perfect after that because all of my shots from that project were spot on.

This will be trip number 3.

I think I'll switch to a more padded bag. I'm using a Manfrotto backpack, but the camera compartment is in the bottom, so everytime you set it down, it probably gives the camera a bump/shake. 

28 minutes ago, JeTexas said:

It's definitely my rangefinder, not the lenses. I did test shots with the 28, 50 and 90, and they're all backfocusing about the same distance. I carry the camera to and from work daily and on and off the sailboat on the weekends. Currently getting by the last scheduled shoots this week with the digital viewfinder, but waiting on it between shots definitely slows me down some. 

I had to have my M9 done once in the two years I owned that. With my 240, it had to go into Leica once for a bad top plate connection that was fixed under warranty during my second year of use. I'm sure they checked the rangefinder calibration when they did all that. Then it had to go in last November. It was definitely perfect after that because all of my shots from that project were spot on.

I think I'll switch to a more padded bag. I'm using a Manfrotto backpack, but the camera compartment is in the bottom, so everytime you set it down, it probably gives the camera a bump/shake. 

if all lenses are having back focus then it's a easy fix.  The hex key on the roller will get it right. 

IMO, a tiny bit back focus is good for portraits, it is more forgiving. 

3 hours ago, jaeger said:

if all lenses are having back focus then it's a easy fix.  The hex key on the roller will get it right. 

IMO, a tiny bit back focus is good for portraits, it is more forgiving. 

Yes, never leave without a 2mm Hex key.

As motorcycle travellers with my wife, I'm glad to be able to "fix them with Hex key" in the field within couple of minutes.

Never need the fix with M240 though

On 4/25/2019 at 4:40 PM, JeTexas said:

Actually vibrations are worse than bumps. Motor Bike? Motor Boat? Light Aircraft?

35 minutes ago, jaapv said:

Actually vibrations are worse than bumps. Motor Bike? Motor Boat? Light Aircraft?

And.........

once the calibrations on some parts  have been done on various parts and the lacquer has been removed or softened it should be replaced.

Am 24.4.2019 um 17:49 schrieb JeTexas:

Shaking could be. The rangefinder is pure mechanical in a simple way. 

What lens(es) do you use? Have you checked the problem with the EVF or the screen?

Edited by jankap