90 APO Lens Frame Lines in Monochrom CCD

Ken Abrahams

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am having an issue with the 90 APO lens on the Monochrom M. When I fasten the 90 APO lens all I can see is the 135 mm lens frame lines. To view the 90 Frame lines I must pull back the front lever to see the framing and then compose the image.

When the 50 APO lens is on the camera, I see both 50 and 90 frame lines. 

Can anyone suggest whether this is an irregular behaviour for the MM1. Its a bit awkward when shooting but not impossible to frame the picture.

Thanks 

Ken

Hi

The frame lines should appear in 28/90mm, 35/135mm, and 50/75mm pairs.

in other words, when you attach any 50mm M mount lens you should see both 50 and 75 frame lines. When you attach any 90mm M mount lens you should see both 28 and 90 frame lines.

If this. is not happening then 1: your lens is not seated properly. make sure to turn the lens until it clicks in place when its mounted. Or 2: your rangefinder coupling mechanism is faulty.

Hope this helps.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the info about Frame Lines. It does seem to be that there is a problem with the rangefinder coupling mechanism. Even with a different 90 APO attached I only see the 135 frame lines. 

Its the first time I have had a longer lens on the camera so who knows, the issue may have been present from the beginning, otherwise some kind of knock has caused the problem. The other lenses, 50 and 35 all have correct frame lines, with the 21 mm lens obviously I use the 21 view finder attachment. 

Ken 

Are you sure the 28 frame lines don’t appear at the far edges of the VF (hard to see if you wear glasses)?  If they are there, the small box in the center is for the 90, not the 135.  As already noted the lines within the 50 are for 75, not 90. 

Jeff

• 2 weeks later...

It might also be the lens itself. The viewfinder should display the 35/135 even without a lens mounted. This is essentially its default condition. Many who use 40mm lenses on Ms do not like its default 50/75 frame lines as the 50 might be too small for the 40mm lens. Their hack around this is to file down a portion of the 40mm lens’s flange to defeat it from selecting any framelines at all. Since the 35mm framelines are the camera’s default and are also more accurate for the 40, this hack works pretty well, although it damages the lens mount. If your lens mount were similarly damaged it was lid result in the same 35/135 framelines being displayed.