CL, access to 'on' functions'....right wheel/button.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

When I press the Right Wheel Button I get ISO displayed.

Whilst out snapping I noticed that I had inadvertently knocked the ISO from AUTO to 3200....Argh...not good.

I can see how.....I had pressed the RWB

Custom Control>Right Wheel Button.....a number of functions are 'On' including ISO.

If I select another 'on' function and press the RWB....I still get 'ISO' appearing on the LCD and display.

What's the point of having them 'on' if I can't select them.

How do I get it off of displaying 'ISO'

Manual page 19.

This is the most confusing section of the camera I've thus far come across......yes, it's me, I know it is.

Edited by Dave in Wales

As dau said but in other words: You use a long press to select which function assigned to the button to activate, and a short press to use the function. I turned off all functions on the right dial other than ISO and peaking color. I usually have it set to ISO, but when I'm doing copy work I never change the ISO but I often want to turn peaking off or change it to a better color for the subject I'm working on. 

If you find yourself in the habit of accidentally flipping settings with the dials, there are a couple of niceties in the CL firmware. Any time you turn a dial, you'll see two icons appear at the upper right of the LCD or viewfinder. These are touchscreen controls to lock and unlock each dial individually: Press and hold the icon and it will turn into a lock icon, that dial is now locked. To unlock, make the dial 'soft' buttons appear by turning the locked dial, then press and hold it for a second ... the dial will unlock. The other nicety appeared in fw2.0: You can lock ALL controls (FN, Menu, Play, four way controller, and dials) by pressing the left dials button for about three seconds. Only the shutter release remains active. Pressing the left dial button for three seconds again unlocks all controls. 

I find I use this a lot when I'm walking about with the camera in my hand and a wriststrap because in that circumstance I find myself accidentally shifting the EV compensation or magnification frequently. I lock the camera at my expected ISO and EV Compensation settings, and then just point, half press to lock the exposure on a given spot, frame and release the shutter. Unlock happens very fluidly when I need to make adjustments. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, ramarren said:

I turned off all functions on the right dial other than ISO and peaking color

I also have limited its use to two functions, ISO and WB. More functions would just confuse me.

5 hours ago, ramarren said:

As dau said but in other words: You use a long press to select which function assigned to the button to activate, and a short press to use the function. I turned off all functions on the right dial other than ISO and peaking color. I usually have it set to ISO, but when I'm doing copy work I never change the ISO but I often want to turn peaking off or change it to a better color for the subject I'm working on. 

If you find yourself in the habit of accidentally flipping settings with the dials, there are a couple of niceties in the CL firmware. Any time you turn a dial, you'll see two icons appear at the upper right of the LCD or viewfinder. These are touchscreen controls to lock and unlock each dial individually: Press and hold the icon and it will turn into a lock icon, that dial is now locked. To unlock, make the dial 'soft' buttons appear by turning the locked dial, then press and hold it for a second ... the dial will unlock. The other nicety appeared in fw2.0: You can lock ALL controls (FN, Menu, Play, four way controller, and dials) by pressing the left dials button for about three seconds. Only the shutter release remains active. Pressing the left dial button for three seconds again unlocks all controls. 

I find I use this a lot when I'm walking about with the camera in my hand and a wriststrap because in that circumstance I find myself accidentally shifting the EV compensation or magnification frequently. I lock the camera at my expected ISO and EV Compensation settings, and then just point, half press to lock the exposure on a given spot, frame and release the shutter. Unlock happens very fluidly when I need to make adjustments. 

Thanks, I'm gonna have to digest this at length.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm another one who only has one function on a button or dial. I prefer to use either User Profiles or the Favorites menu to access occasional features.

I don't find this functionality (multiple options on a dial/button) helpful or intuitive at all. I wasted a lot of time early on trying to set this up in multiple ways, but found I could never remember how to get at the alternative dial controls in the heat of the moment.

I now keep just User Profiles on the Fn button, and use the dials just for aperture/shutter speed/EC/ISO/zoom mag, depending on the shooting mode. The only other function that I access frequently is AF mode, and I get to this on the Favorites menu.

vor 6 Stunden schrieb ramarren:

Any time you turn a dial, you'll see two icons appear at the upper right of the LCD or viewfinder. These are touchscreen controls to lock and unlock each dial individually: Press and hold the icon and it will turn into a lock icon, that dial is now locked.

Thanks, you made my day. I only knew the "Lock all" function with a long press on the the left button. 

🙏, Thomas

Am I the only user that still has camera set pretty much to defaults, has set no user profiles and actually just finds the menu/controls of this camera so intuitive I can change anything really quickly as is.  Or maybe it's just me being lazy!   Around 15,000 images in and it just gets better to me.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Boojay said:

Am I the only user that still has camera set pretty much to defaults, has set no user profiles and actually just finds the menu/controls of this camera so intuitive I can change anything really quickly as is.  Or maybe it's just me being lazy!   Around 15,000 images in and it just gets better to me.

I'm beginning to think you've got it right.

I've had the camera one week today, I found it easier to navigate then than I do now, there are places to 'hide' stuff, and I'm not sure where I put it.

With just the 'defaults' it was in the main menu, the timer was under the Fn button and the ISO was under the RWB.

Mind you..... 'favourites' is handy. 

• Haha 1

Whatever you get used to, that makes sense to you for your shooting workflow, is the right way to configure the camera. There is no "one right way for all users" ... The exception to this is cameras like the Leica M-D typ 262, which has no configuration settings: With cameras like that, you either adapt to what the camera has or buy something else. :D

Since I never use AF lenses (I don't own any and have little incentive to acquire any), my shooting camera configuration settings are designed to make my use of the camera with R or M lenses fast, fluid, and easy for me to remember. 

Eh? What's a thread without a photograph in it? :D

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Roses - April 2019 :: Leica CL + Macro-Elmarit-R 60mm f/2.8

ISO 3200 @ f/4 @ 1/400 sec, hand held

Edited by ramarren
  • Like 1