https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/296536-q-versus-point-shoot-like-ricoh-gr-iii/Q versus Point & Shoot like Ricoh GR-III

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Planning on only taking my Q for a few weeks in Italy... Hello great food & wine!

Wonderful wife has suggested that Italy is not the place for a Q since Italy appears to be the "Capital of Camera Thieves". She also gets irritated when I wander away from our friends in order to get "a better perspective" -- saying that I should leave ART behind, relax, become just another tourist, spend more time with people, etc.

I definitely want better than my great iPhone 8+ camera.  The Q is my go-to for everything.  Our Canon EOS-R is just out of the question.

Being totally fixated on 28mm perspective and preferring full frame over APS-c, I still want something I can put into a pocket.  The Q is too big.  The Q is too expensive to lose and I can not afford/want to the upgrade to Q2.

The Ricoh GR-III is getting marvelous reviews as a pro photographer's choice for a pocketable camera.  While APS-c, it has a great 28mm lens, 24 Mpixels, and a user interface designed around simplicity -- sort of the same values as the Q. But under $1,000...

Have any of y'all used the Ricoh GR-III for travel?

• Like 1

Right, the GR-III is the obvious choice.

Just want to say that I took my Q to Italy without a hesitation and I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

But if you're worried, spring for a used CL + 18. Like the Rocoh, it fits in your pocket, so you only show it when about to shoot. Sure, a lot more expensive than the Ricoh but then you've got a wide open and flexible system ahead of you.

Edited by bags27
  • Like 1

Usual rules apply when in Italy.

1. If you stand out you are fair game

2. When having refrescas al fresco don’t leave camera on edge of table.

The physical difference between a Q and a Ricoh are not wide enough to not take the Q and miss loads of great shots with the Ricoh.

Sling the Q and keep it under your armpit when wandering, whip it out (the camera) and shoot.

I’ve never had a problem in Italy (apart from the dodgy toll gates) so don’t compromise quality because of fear.

Oh and take out insurance 😂

• Like 2

Guest Nowhereman

I bought the GR3 a few weeks ago and like it a lot. I considered the Q2 but have an M10 and was attracted to the GR3 because of its small size and the ease with which it can be used for one-handed shooting, which is great if you value the fluidity with which you can shoot. What I found was that I like the color rendition of the GR3, although I had thought I would use it mainly for B&W. Since I cannot post GR3 images on LUF,  you can look at my recent images in this thread and on my Instagram feed. I was also surprised to find how good the 35 and 50mm EFOV crop facility is. 

1 hour ago, Nowhereman said:

I bought the GR3 a few weeks ago and like it a lot. I considered the Q2 but have an M10 and was attracted to the GR3 because of its small size and the ease with which it can be used for one-handed shooting, which is great if you value the fluidity with which you can shoot. What I found was that I like the color rendition of the GR3, although I had thought I would use it mainly for B&W. Since I cannot post GR3 images on LUF,  you can look at my recent images in this thread and on my Instagram feed. I was also surprised to find how good the 35 and 50mm EFOV crop facility is. 

Those are indeed great pics you’ve taken with the Ricoh. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vov said:

you can look at my recent images in this thread and on my Instagram feed. I was also surprised to find how good the 35 and 50mm EFOV crop facility is. 

Your images are excellent and are shining examples of what the GR-III can do.  I've decided that "pocketable" is not as important as the quality of a full frame Leica.

So the Q is on its way to Italy and the black gamers take makes the spouse feel safer...

I've been experimenting with adding lo-res JPEG to the DNGs I save.  Its easy to download small JPEGs then throw them up on Instagram and Facebook.

THANK YOU to everyone helping me in this decision.

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 hours ago, SonomaBear said:

Wonderful wife has suggested that Italy is not the place for a Q since Italy appears to be the "Capital of Camera Thieves".

Sorry but I find this statement borderline offensive. Italy is a country not a city.. and there are no more "camera thieves" there than anywhere else.

Basic street smart rules apply when travelling with expensive gear... anywhere. If you are really paranoid, take out insurance.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, MisterMagoo said:

Sorry but I find this statement borderline offensive. Italy is a country not a city.. and there are no more "camera thieves" there than anywhere else.

Basic street smart rules apply when travelling with expensive gear... anywhere. If you are really paranoid, take out insurance.

you're probably right that it was somewhat insensitive. But it is a reputation.

A friend of mine many years was walking down the streets of Rome and 2 guys on a motorcycle drove by and snatched her pocketbook. She went to the police station to report it, and filled out the form, one box to check said: "pocketbook taken by 2 men on a motorcycle."

Stories like this are funny, but do not help. FWIW, there are probably as many posts on this site by us Americans that start out: "I'm visiting New York City; is it safe to take my Leica?" New York is now a very safe city, but a reputation, once earned.....Can we blame Italy's on De Sica's magnificent film, The Bicycle Thief?

10 minutes ago, bags27 said:

you're probably right that it was somewhat insensitive. But it is a reputation.

A friend of mine many years was walking down the streets of Rome and 2 guys on a motorcycle drove by and snatched her pocketbook. She went to the police station to report it, and filled out the form, one box to check said: "pocketbook taken by 2 men on a motorcycle."

Stories like this are funny, but do not help. FWIW, there are probably as many posts on this site by us Americans that start out: "I'm visiting New York City; is it safe to take my Leica?" New York is now a very safe city, but a reputation, once earned.....Can we blame Italy's on De Sica's magnificent film, The Bicycle Thief?

well aware of the "reputation" (ie stereotypes) but at the very least state the city, don't lump an entire nation and its population as the 'capital of camera thieves'.

it's not just insensitive, it's ignorant i'm afraid.

Edited by MisterMagoo

11 minutes ago, MisterMagoo said:

well aware of the "reputation" (ie stereotypes) but at the very least state the city, don't lump an entire nation and its population as the 'capital of camera thieves'.

it's not just insensitive, it's ignorant i'm afraid.

I take your point. If one states a city--such as New York--one is localizing it to an environment. If one says something broadly--America--one is typifying the people themselves (Americans).

Edited by bags27

Exactly. Its a common misconception from Americans that Europe is a country and that actual countries are regions/states. It ain't Kansas over here!

Anyways, Leica's are actually pretty inconspicuous cameras actually, aside from the red dot. Just put some black tape on and everybody will assume you got a $500 point & shoot.

BTW, I've travelled the world with a lot more expensive gear than a Q2 and in places a lot sketchier than Italy.. never had a problem but I'm streetwise. 

Only time I got my gear stolen was at an airport when I let my guard down.. :( 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MisterMagoo said:

Exactly. Its a common misconception from Americans that Europe is a country and that actual countries are regions/states. It ain't Kansas over here!

And thank goodness for that!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, MisterMagoo said:

Basic street smart rules apply when travelling with expensive gear... anywhere.

Well said, Vietnam probably has more snatchers than all of Europe ;) and ive seen them in action on the streets

Edited by frame-it

I feel terrible that my statement was offensive.  Yes, I've had gear stolen in San Francisco -- there are thieves everywhere.

Thank you folks, I'm taking the Q with gaffer's tape applied and insurance purchased.

I'm also taking a tiny steel cable (wrapped in black plastic) that fits into the tripod socket and a belt loop -- as much to protect against dropping as annoying a thief!

• Like 1

Good decision! The Q is such an oddly shaped camera that the only way to recognize it is by its red dot. I had tapped that over, not for fear of theft by strangers, but for fear of ridicule by friends. Recently, I removed it, and glad I did. I have a very vulgar sense of satisfaction looking at my red dots!

3 hours ago, SonomaBear said:

. . .

I'm also taking a tiny steel cable (wrapped in black plastic) that fits into the tripod socket and a belt loop -- as much to protect against dropping as annoying a thief!

where did u get that? 

2 hours ago, bags27 said:

Good decision! The Q is such an oddly shaped camera that the only way to recognize it is by its red dot. I had tapped that over, not for fear of theft by strangers, but for fear of ridicule by friends. Recently, I removed it, and glad I did. I have a very vulgar sense of satisfaction looking at my red dots!

oddly with the introduction of the Q2 i feel less apprehensive about taking my Q out into any "sketchy" area ( i think that is because the resale value has taken a tumble-- i should really re-evaluate the amount of insurance i am carrying on it...)

• Like 1

I love my Q, but I have to admit that the Ricoh GR (II+III) is absolutely amazing, small,  light and cheaper to lose  ;-0)  !!

When I travel on vacation with only a backpack and a single bag, the Q adds just too much extra weight.

So I use the Q when driving to a vacation locale, and the GR III when dealing with security and allowable cabin luggage.

If I had the extra cash, then a CL might be on order!

• stuny changed the title to https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/296536-q-versus-point-shoot-like-ricoh-gr-iii/Q versus Point & Shoot like Ricoh GR-III