55-135mm...What do owners think? -images allowed-

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 5/8/2019 at 6:10 PM, DonnaW said:

If you could only have 1 lens, would you choose the TL 60?  I have a Q (24 mm), but need something to get closer.  Debating going for a CL Tl 60 vs 55-135 .  I avoid changing lenses and prefer to use only one.  Your recommendation if I go for a CL, what should be my 1st lens?

18-56 to start..........If you can add a CU filter as I did, a mint Elpro 2, this would give you a magnification of approx 0.4 times at a working distance of approx 6 inches.........But as you can see above the 55-135 is quite capable of 100% crops giving a CU capability.

On 5/8/2019 at 9:57 PM, bags27 said:

I've posted this house finch elsewhere, but appropriate here, too. Shot through a glass window in manual focus mode--which I increasingly prefer with this lens. Any further noise reduction would result in a loss of essential detail.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

It is quite back-focused, though.

28 minutes ago, bags27 said:

Yes, somewhat, I agree: thanks for noticing. But I don't have full confidence in the autofocus. Perhaps it was because I was shooting through glass, but it just keeps searching.

Then why not try the hybrid system. AF -  Half-pressure -  Manual focusing with focus assist?

• Thanks 1

Thanks. Always helpful to remember. Of course, at the time, this wasn't a bird that was waiting for me to run through my options mentally. But I take your point: it's good method to practice and be prepared.

• Like 1

Just want to throw myself on the mercy of my more learned colleagues.

I realize why I have had such a difficult time autofocusing this lens. I had set the profile to AutoFocus --> Spot instead of to --> Multi Point. Spot is fine for some lenses and times of day, etc., I'm sure, but once I changed to Multi Point I've been nailing it every time.

8 hours ago, bags27 said:

Just want to throw myself on the mercy of my more learned colleagues.

I realize why I have had such a difficult time autofocusing this lens. I had set the profile to AutoFocus --> Spot instead of to --> Multi Point. Spot is fine for some lenses and times of day, etc., I'm sure, but once I changed to Multi Point I've been nailing it every time.

Face detection might suit you even better. It reverts to multifield if it does not detect a face.

• Like 1

high ISO to allow for DOF and high shutterspeed. Red throated hummingbird--the main species in RI. Prefocused.

I'm getting use to the lens, but haven't completely resolved my ambivalence. I think I'm a manual focus guy and don't need the extra weight. But it is sharp--about which I'm also ambivalent! 😀 see my signature below.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by bags27

19 hours ago, gotium said:

Can you get magnification when you do this? I don't. Maybe a menu setting...?

No, it is a pity. It works brilliantly with adapted lenses, using the wheel for magnification. But the wheel is already committed to other functions  when using AF lenses.

21 hours ago, wda said:

Please explain.

An expression of disappointment, at least here in the US - not sure about other anglophones. 

My only CL lens is the 18/2.8, and I have a hard time finessing the focus manually without magnification. I've tried your AF-followed-by-MF-fine-tuning but can't see the subject well without magnification. 

4 hours ago, gotium said:

An expression of disappointment, at least here in the US - not sure about other anglophones. 

My only CL lens is the 18/2.8, and I have a hard time finessing the focus manually without magnification. I've tried your AF-followed-by-MF-fine-tuning but can't see the subject well without magnification. 

Thank you.  I agree that it is more difficult with a prime wide angle lens. It is easier with longer focal-lengths and zoom lenses. I do find focus-peaking a useful aid, but be prepared to change the colour on occasions. 

Briefly,I waited a long time to join the digital arena, from a Leica R3 of my late father's. The focusing performance overall of the Leica 'L' system is everything I could have hoped for, notwithstanding auto focus can have monstrous limitations, and I think too higher expectations are placed on something when by twisting a ring on the lens can reveal exactly what you're after in manual focus or half shutter press. After all, your fingers are probably there on the focusing ring already !!

5 hours ago, jaapv said:

Is fine-tuning really needed with a 28 mm equivalent 2.8 lens (3,5 DOF) ?

Sometimes, yes. Yesterday’s effort was because the subjects were moving behind the bars of a cage, and the camera chose to focus on the bars.