Jump to content
Dave in Wales

55-135mm...What do owners think? -images allowed-

Recommended Posts

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 5/8/2019 at 6:10 PM, DonnaW said:

If you could only have 1 lens, would you choose the TL 60?  I have a Q (24 mm), but need something to get closer.  Debating going for a CL Tl 60 vs 55-135 .  I avoid changing lenses and prefer to use only one.  Your recommendation if I go for a CL, what should be my 1st lens?

 

18-56 to start..........If you can add a CU filter as I did, a mint Elpro 2, this would give you a magnification of approx 0.4 times at a working distance of approx 6 inches.........But as you can see above the 55-135 is quite capable of 100% crops giving a CU capability.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/8/2019 at 9:57 PM, bags27 said:

I've posted this house finch elsewhere, but appropriate here, too. Shot through a glass window in manual focus mode--which I increasingly prefer with this lens. Any further noise reduction would result in a loss of essential detail.

It is quite back-focused, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, somewhat, I agree: thanks for noticing. But I don't have full confidence in the autofocus. Perhaps it was because I was shooting through glass, but it just keeps searching.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, bags27 said:

Yes, somewhat, I agree: thanks for noticing. But I don't have full confidence in the autofocus. Perhaps it was because I was shooting through glass, but it just keeps searching.

Then why not try the hybrid system. AF -  Half-pressure -  Manual focusing with focus assist?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks. Always helpful to remember. Of course, at the time, this wasn't a bird that was waiting for me to run through my options mentally. But I take your point: it's good method to practice and be prepared.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just want to throw myself on the mercy of my more learned colleagues.

I realize why I have had such a difficult time autofocusing this lens. I had set the profile to AutoFocus --> Spot instead of to --> Multi Point. Spot is fine for some lenses and times of day, etc., I'm sure, but once I changed to Multi Point I've been nailing it every time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Advertisement (gone after registration)

13 hours ago, wda said:

Then why not try the hybrid system. AF -  Half-pressure -  Manual focusing with focus assist?

Can you get magnification when you do this? I don't. Maybe a menu setting...?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, wda said:

Then why not try the hybrid system. AF -  Half-pressure -  Manual focusing with focus assist?

Peaking. Don't expect magnification.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, bags27 said:

Just want to throw myself on the mercy of my more learned colleagues.

I realize why I have had such a difficult time autofocusing this lens. I had set the profile to AutoFocus --> Spot instead of to --> Multi Point. Spot is fine for some lenses and times of day, etc., I'm sure, but once I changed to Multi Point I've been nailing it every time.

Face detection might suit you even better. It reverts to multifield if it does not detect a face.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

high ISO to allow for DOF and high shutterspeed. Red throated hummingbird--the main species in RI. Prefocused.

I'm getting use to the lens, but haven't completely resolved my ambivalence. I think I'm a manual focus guy and don't need the extra weight. But it is sharp--about which I'm also ambivalent! 😀 see my signature below.

Edited by bags27

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, gotium said:

Can you get magnification when you do this? I don't. Maybe a menu setting...?

No, it is a pity. It works brilliantly with adapted lenses, using the wheel for magnification. But the wheel is already committed to other functions  when using AF lenses.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, wda said:

No, it is a pity. It works brilliantly with adapted lenses, using the wheel for magnification. But the wheel is already committed to other functions  when using AF lenses.

Rats

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, gotium said:

Rats

Please explain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, wda said:

Please explain.

An expression of disappointment, at least here in the US - not sure about other anglophones. 

My only CL lens is the 18/2.8, and I have a hard time finessing the focus manually without magnification. I've tried your AF-followed-by-MF-fine-tuning but can't see the subject well without magnification. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, gotium said:

An expression of disappointment, at least here in the US - not sure about other anglophones. 

My only CL lens is the 18/2.8, and I have a hard time finessing the focus manually without magnification. I've tried your AF-followed-by-MF-fine-tuning but can't see the subject well without magnification. 

Thank you.  I agree that it is more difficult with a prime wide angle lens. It is easier with longer focal-lengths and zoom lenses. I do find focus-peaking a useful aid, but be prepared to change the colour on occasions. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is fine-tuning really needed with a 28 mm equivalent 2.8 lens (3,5 DOF) ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Briefly,I waited a long time to join the digital arena, from a Leica R3 of my late father's. The focusing performance overall of the Leica 'L' system is everything I could have hoped for, notwithstanding auto focus can have monstrous limitations, and I think too higher expectations are placed on something when by twisting a ring on the lens can reveal exactly what you're after in manual focus or half shutter press. After all, your fingers are probably there on the focusing ring already !!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, jaapv said:

Is fine-tuning really needed with a 28 mm equivalent 2.8 lens (3,5 DOF) ?

Sometimes, yes. Yesterday’s effort was because the subjects were moving behind the bars of a cage, and the camera chose to focus on the bars.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see. I would go to full manual in such a case.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue., Read more about our Privacy Policy