55-135mm...What do owners think? -images allowed-

Buy it. You won't regret it.

Sharp, sharp, sharp. Very compact for the range it gives. Close focusing at 135 is great for detailed shots. A good portrait lens too. The downside for me is no OIS. But not a deal breaker since I can compensate with shutter speed. I do know not to use it when the light is low. For reach in low light, I use my 50Lux or 90Summarit. 

• Like 3

It depends how often you need a longer-reach lens. It could open up new vistas of interest to you . Alternatively it could occupy a space in your store cupboard once the novelty has worn off. Have no doubts about its imaging quality.

I've asked myself the same question, but I've decided that until I get frustrated by continuously trying to turn the zoom ring on the 18-56 beyond 56, then I'm just going to sit tight. But turning it beyond 18 is beginning to crop up more often...

The 55-135mm is a very nice and sharp lens. Small too, for the range it gives you. I like the lens alot. BUT... I don't use it very much. This is probably more due to what I am shooting and not because I don't like the lens. I travel a lot, and find that when I have to decided between the 60mm macro lens and this baby, I usually sacrifice the longer focal length for the 60mm macro. Again, it's more about what I am shooting these days.  I wish I used it more, but I don't want to take too many lenses with me when I travel. 

• Like 1

I haven't had it for long, but I'm extremely satisfied for the reasons listed above. I also got it at 25% or so off, so it feels a lot better. It boils down to what sort of flexibility you want/ need with focal length. YMMV. But it's sharp and compact, and has the quality to match the camera body. 

Leica gives a clever clue, the sensor is exactly at the beginning of the hot shoe raise, behind mic holes.

TL 55-135mm has max magnification of 1:17 at 55 mm and 1:8 only at 135 mm at 1 meter distance from sensor.

Smallest object is 268 mm at 55mm and 125 mm at 135mm

Nothing extraordinary. No macro capabilities at all. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

31 minutes ago, nicci78 said:

Leica gives a clever clue, the sensor is exactly at the beginning of the hot shoe raise, behind mic holes.

TL 55-135mm has max magnification of 1:17 at 55 mm and 1:8 only at 135 mm at 1 meter distance from sensor.

Smallest object is 268 mm at 55mm and 125 mm at 135mm

Nothing extraordinary. No macro capabilities at all. 

Many thanks but I think this should be in the CU thread.

1 hour ago, Dave in Wales said:

Mine is on back order, 1st of May I hope. It took all my Oly gear to get it though.

I cant find any owner who has a bad word to say for it.

I was in the same uncertain position - I’d been asked to take some shots at a conference, and knew I needed AF and length.  So glad I got it - even in low light conference shots the quality is stellar.  Enjoy.

APO-Macro-TL 60 is made for macro and portrait 

APO-TL 55-135 is made for long distance shot and portrait.

Just choose your weapon wisely. But you do not need both. Really, I’ve done it before. Too much overlap. And TL 60 is way more useful : better build, real macro 1:1 and faster aperture. Of course I cannot get the 135mm (200mm) reach  

For more comparison from sensor 

TL 60 has 1:1 magnification at 16 cm distance with smallest object of 16 mm. 

TL 55-135 has 1:8 magnification at 100 cm distance with smallest object of 125 mm

100 cm minimum focusing distance at all focal length can be a real problem indoor. 

Of course TL 55-135mm IQ is stellar. Choose whatever you need. No IS is not a problem, you will need faster shutter speed anyway for far away moving subject.

Macro-TL 60 could benefit of IS, but tripod and/or flash is almost compulsory anyway for serious macro works. 

From TL 55-135mm

Edited by nicci78
  • Like 5

• jaapv changed the title to 55-135mm...What do owners think? -images allowed-