Dave in Wales

55-135mm...What do owners think? -images allowed-

Posted (edited)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This is a heavily cropped low res photo I posted elsewhere from a few weeks ago. Taken through a window and the pouring rain. It's a very sharp lens. I do think it searches a lot in autofocus (others disagree on this); still uncertain whether I'm keeping it (still like my M135 f/4, version 2). For some, such as Louis who does so brilliantly, using it as an extended street/portrait lens, it would be terrific. 

For macro, short of buying the very expensive Leica Elpro, I believe the Marumi Achromat is considered the best filter. I have one that will fit this lens and will post photos when/if it ever stops raining around here.

Edited by bags27

8 hours ago, Dave in Wales said:

Macro, is theoretically 1:1 and above. But if you want to give close-up a try you could do far worse than a Raynox close-up lens. From experience I would recommend the DCR-150, the 250 I find not very user friendly.

https://www.amazon.com/Raynox-DCR-150-Snap-On-Macro-Lens/dp/B0007KS7D0

https://www.closeuphotography.com/raynox/2017/6/3/raynox-close-up-lenses

Thanks for the info. In your estimation, how much vignetting does it produce with both the 18-55 or the 55-135? Found this : 

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3696154#forum-post-53989525

4 hours ago, bags27 said:

... I have one that will fit this lens and will post photos when/if it ever stops raining around here.

I look forward to it.

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Jake said:

Thanks for the info. In your estimation, how much vignetting does it produce with both the 18-55 or the 55-135? Found this : 

Sadly I cannot give you an answer as I'm waiting for delivery of both the Raynox 150 and the 55-135. From experience I cannot recall any vignetting with the DCR-150, the link refers to the DCR-250 which I found very difficult to use, both focusing and framing, because of it's high magnification.

150 gives 4.8x, the 250 gives 8x

Edited by Dave in Wales

11 hours ago, Jake said:

Of course that user has problems with vignetting. Look at the short focal lengths he is using. I'm surprised he has any light on his subjects at all, they must be within millimetres of his lens

I think this thread has convinced me to shift my elmarit-M 90 and telyt 250 to fund one!      you naughty folk !

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, johntobias said:

I think this thread has convinced me to shift my elmarit-M 90 and telyt 250 to fund one!      you naughty folk !

In over 60 years of photography, the 55-135 is the 'only' lens 'I've' come across where 'nobody' has a bad word to say about it, unbelievable.

Or perhaps Leica owners just don't complain about their gear.

I'm sitting here awaiting delivery, this PM.:)

Edited by Dave in Wales

Just sourced a mint one for a grand....happy days !   now, anyone want to buy an elmarit-M 90mm or Telyt-R 250mm or exteder R 2x  ????

(need to appease the Mrs! )

Posted (edited)

well, still crappy weather around here, so I took this very quick photo of a pencil with high frequency design with the Marumi Achromat +5. In whatever mode I tried, it's pretty difficult to close down the aperture to increase depth of field and keep everything else optimal (and yes, I used a flash over the left side reflected in the eraser holder). This is the lowest possible resolution to keep within the size limit; the actual photo on my computer is pretty dazzlingly sharp. At this extraordinary enlargement,, the Marumi does display decided falloff of sharpness away from the center. Using one with the Q, it's not been my experience that this is evident with normal sized enlargements. But maybe it's the curvature of the lens?

Edited by bags27

closer crop. of course the pencil provides north-south curvature of its own.

Posted (edited)

Cant' ask any better than that.

Hand held, 'P'  mode, ISO125, f4.5 @ 1/125.....and there was a breeze blowing.

Whole image, SOOC JPG.

100% crop

Edited by Dave in Wales

On 4/26/2019 at 2:43 AM, nicci78 said:

APO-Macro-TL 60 is made for macro and portrait 

APO-TL 55-135 is made for long distance shot and portrait.

Just choose your weapon wisely. But you do not need both. Really, I’ve done it before. Too much overlap. And TL 60 is way more useful : better build, real macro 1:1 and faster aperture. Of course I cannot get the 135mm (200mm) reach  

For more comparison from sensor 

TL 60 has 1:1 magnification at 16 cm distance with smallest object of 16 mm. 

TL 55-135 has 1:8 magnification at 100 cm distance with smallest object of 125 mm

100 cm minimum focusing distance at all focal length can be a real problem indoor. 

If you could only have 1 lens, would you choose the TL 60?  I have a Q (24 mm), but need something to get closer.  Debating going for a CL Tl 60 vs 55-135 .  I avoid changing lenses and prefer to use only one.  Your recommendation if I go for a CL, what should be my 1st lens?

Posted (edited)

Jono, reviewing the Q2, said he was off to the Continent with only his Q2 and CL + 55-135 and had everything covered. If you did that instead with the Q, and were mechanistic about the generally accepted cropping guidelines, you'd have 28-50 (at least) and 80-200 (cropping to ~ 300) covered.

Having said that, I did that very thing yesterday, carrying both cameras simultaneously, and I don't think I'd want to walk around all day thus. But while the 18-56 is a lot lighter, it doesn't give you much beyond the 50 crop on the Q (again, assuming a somewhat mechanistic interpretation) and creates a lot of redundancy with a much slower lens.

Truthfully, as great as the TL 60 is, I'd go with the R60 f/2.8 Macro-Elmarit. It's one of the very best R lenses, is nearly $2k cheaper than the TL, and if you use it on a FF camera, it will go back to taking full advantage of the larger sensor. You really don't need autofocus for macro or portraiture work.  

If, however, you were thinking of traveling with both cameras but only carrying one at a time, then I agree with jaapv. I'd carry the CL +18-56 during the day, and the Q in low light/night situations.

Edited by bags27

56 = 85 mm approx. That is quite a difference to a 28 mm lens cropped to 50 mm...

I agree with Jono - Q + CL with standard zoom will cover most travel photographer's needs.

If, however, you were thinking of traveling with both cameras but only carrying one at a time, then I agree with jaapv. I'd carry the CL +18-56 during the day, and the Q in low light/night situations.

:)

Posted (edited)

I've posted this house finch elsewhere, but appropriate here, too. Shot through a glass window in manual focus mode--which I increasingly prefer with this lens. Any further noise reduction would result in a loss of essential detail.

Edited by bags27

Posted (edited)
On 5/8/2019 at 7:10 PM, DonnaW said:

If you could only have 1 lens, would you choose the TL 60?  I have a Q (24 mm), but need something to get closer.  Debating going for a CL Tl 60 vs 55-135 .  I avoid changing lenses and prefer to use only one.  Your recommendation if I go for a CL, what should be my 1st lens?

Either one is good. 60mm if you need macro, if not 55-135.

18-56 is not really useful along the Q. Fast 28mm is way nicer than slow transstandard zoom. But your mileage may vary.

Edited by nicci78