S1R autofocus rattle with new Summicron L 35mm

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have a strange one...

I just received my new SL Summicron 35mm today.

Mounted on the SL everything is fine. It works normally.

When I mount it on the S1R, I hear and feel the autofocus mechanism rattling either in the lens or body - its hard to tell.

The lens is working, in that it focuses etc...

As soon as I half press the shutter (or back AF button) to focus, the rattling goes away.

If I am in manual focus, the rattling goes away.

If I am playing back a photo, the rattling goes away.

The rattling only exists when the camera is in autofocus mode, but focusing is not engaged (half pressing the shutter).

None of my other SL lenses (50 1.4, 74 cron) exhibit this behaviour. They are normal, no rattling.

As I mentioned earlier, on the SL body, the lens is fine.

All firmware (1.1 on S1R) is up to date.

Maybe its normal, however it feels unnerving with the this rattle going on.

Any thoughts from anyone?

Cheers

vor 1 Stunde schrieb Nicky Scali:

I have a strange one...

I just received my new SL Summicron 35mm today.

Mounted on the SL everything is fine. It works normally.

When I mount it on the S1R, I hear and feel the autofocus mechanism rattling either in the lens or body - its hard to tell.

The lens is working, in that it focuses etc...

As soon as I half press the shutter (or back AF button) to focus, the rattling goes away.

If I am in manual focus, the rattling goes away.

If I am playing back a photo, the rattling goes away.

The rattling only exists when the camera is in autofocus mode, but focusing is not engaged (half pressing the shutter).

None of my other SL lenses (50 1.4, 74 cron) exhibit this behaviour. They are normal, no rattling.

As I mentioned earlier, on the SL body, the lens is fine.

All firmware (1.1 on S1R) is up to date.

Maybe its normal, however it feels unnerving with the this rattle going on.

Any thoughts from anyone?

Cheers

I can confirm this behavior, same here with my S1R and SL-35mm (SL90, SL75, SL24-90 and 90-280 are fine). 
The lens is rattling when I move the camera and the distance to the object which is in the focus field changes. It seems that the AF is 'triggered' by the movement (but without effect). 
Maybe this is an issue which can be fixed via FW-update of the lens. 

Yes, there is a Pre-Af, it's called 'Quick AF'.

When it is off, the noise/hunting, as described much better than myself by Ingo, is very prevalent.

When you turn the Quick AF on it actually improves it, because the focus motor is working and looking for focus points.

6 minutes ago, Nicky Scali said:

Yes, there is a Pre-Af, it's called 'Quick AF'.

When it is off, the noise/hunting, as described much better than myself by Ingo, is very prevalent.

When you turn the Quick AF on it actually improves it, because the focus motor is working and looking for focus points.

interesting...so if "quick Af" + AF-C + face/animal detect are also off does it still rattle the lens ?

The sound is definitely coming from the lens, and when the camera is set to manual focus, the sound goes away.  As Ingo points out, when set to AF and you point the lens to objects that are varying distances away, that's when you hear the sound.  But I would not describe it as a rattle; it is the sound a lens makes when trying to find focus, but I find it odd that the lens is hunting for a focal point before I half-press the shutter button.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, relms said:

The sound is definitely coming from the lens, and when the camera is set to manual focus, the sound goes away.  As Ingo points out, when set to AF and you point the lens to objects that are varying distances away, that's when you hear the sound.  But I would not describe it as a rattle; it is the sound a lens makes when trying to find focus, but I find it odd that the lens is hunting for a focal point before I half-press the shutter button.

sounds similar to some fuji cameras when face detect AF-c/Pre-AF is on..while walking around the lens keeps trying to focus on something

• Thanks 1

vor 4 Stunden schrieb frame-it:

sounds similar to some fuji cameras when face detect AF-c/Pre-AF is on..while walking around the lens keeps trying to focus on something

The camera notices that something is changing in the AF field and the lens elements are moving. That's the sound you hear. The camera does not focus on the subject.  This does not happen until the shutter release button is pressed halfway. 

Personally I don't fear damaging the AF mechanism but the sound is really unnerving when concentrating on it. 

My personal workaround is to set the S1R to manual modus and focusing with the 'AF-on' button if it's okay to have a bigger AF-field. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This happens on the SL too when I am filming with the 35mm SL lens, its quite loud, afs or afc doesn't matter, have to hold down the shutter button halfway to stop it. 

Shooting photos there is no problem on the SL

weird

Edited by hillavoider