Opening a tricky Focotar

Xícara de Café

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Yes, a good thought, but once again it's as it should be, about 30cm... It's odd that I can't get it to work properly. The enlarger is in excellent shape with hardly a scratch. The only things I can see that are missing are the thumb screw for the cam adjustment (does anyone know the diameter, length and thread type of this?) and the swing-out red filter....

Barrybed and M.Hilo, I feel like a bit of the dill, but I worked out what I was doing wrong. The problem was the height of my easel. It occurred to me to try projecting onto the base board with the arm brace in the lower pin position. With the Focotar it works. So sorry for not trying this earlier! The distance between the two pin positions is 25mm and i gather this is the height of the Leitz easels. My easel is 14mm high so I'll raise it up using various sheets of paper.

If anyone has any idea where I can find the cam adjusting thumb-screw or know its specifications, please let me know. It's part "e" in this diagram:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

While I respect M.Hilo's opinion on the early Focotars, I'll see if my local tech can use brute force to open and clean this one. Perhaps in the future I can upgrade to a newer one.

All the best!

Edited by Xícara de Café

I'm sorry, I thought I had posted something about the easel's thickness. But now I don't find it back, so I must have shut off the forum without sending. Barrybed's thinking was spot on about the extra ring. It is the same principle. So, you're getting there, ha!

That thumb-screw is M3 and the screw thread is almost all the length until the head. That length is 15mm. The diameter of the screw's head is 10mm (not very important, just don't get it much larger) . . . I will have a look if I have one, but I doubt it. Still, you should have no problem finding a replacement.

Barrybed's "You can see there should be two notches inside the doorx tube": Leitz made a tool for the Focomats, to unscrew the column bolts underneath the base-board. What few people know is that this tool also fits those notches, so you can unscrew the extension ring when you can't do this using your fingers. See the two parts that stick out left and right, the whole thing slides into those notches . . .

Btw, the earliest Doorx tubes don't have the notches . . .

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Thanks 1

Very interesting regarding the column wrench! That is a good thing to know!

Xicara. I think you will find the autofocus will be much more efficient with the set screw. I think that without it proper autofocus will not occur. Good luck with your enlarger!

• Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

56 minutes ago, M.Hilo said:

Does your Focomat have the clamping system under the base board? If yes, you could consider finding one of the Leitz easels, the wooden ones in particular.

Yes it does and thanks, I'll be on the look out for one. There's only one wooden one on eBay at the moment that looks like it has the correct slots underneath for clamping, but with postage, it's almost the value of what I paid for my Focomat, with lens, easel (not so good), timer, analyser, paper and chemicals thrown in.

Edited by Xícara de Café

• 1 year later...

Opening up this older post. I have been successful in disassembling and cleaning one of my old 50mm 4.5 Focotars...and then proceeded, with my new-found confidence,  to cleaning a second one. Somehow I have lost the set screw that holds the lens together. It is the tiny screw that tightens into the top of the lens to hold the outer casing to the lens. It is I think 1.5mm x 5.5mm. I am hoping someone may have a totally trashed lens who does not need the screw and would be willing to sell (The screw) it to me. Long shot I know. But please let me know! Thank you all! Robbie