Leica SL with 24 90 or s1r with 50: help

sanadsaad

14 hours ago, su25 said:

I am sure you already know, OIS of SL24-90 will not work with Lumix S1/S1R. You have to depend on IBIS, which should be good enough. While, OIS of Lumix S lenses when combined with  SL, will not have OIS nor IBIS. I hope I am correct 😐

I am sorry, I got this completely wrong 😔As thighslapper mentioned, OIS or IBIS will work with compatible lenses, only Pana lenses will offer OIS+IBIS on S1/S1R. Similarly, OIS of Pana lenses (and future Sigma lenses) should work with SL.

From S1R manual:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by su25

Being an early adopter of the SL & 24-90 when they launched I did use it for approximately a year and then sold it to return to the M10 as the size was an issue I felt at the time.

Now some years on I'm ready to return to this format again most probably for use with my collection of M glass.

With this in mind I went to my local Leica store in Perth to test both the SL and the S1R this week I did take my Summilux-M 35 and Summicron-M 50 APO.

After several hours of walking the streets I returned to take my some 300 images back home to compare.

Loved the EVF on the S1R  however the SL was my choice again as the colour palette was my preference and I felt there was less post processing required with images the current price seems competitive to buy back in again  and the GPS that just works is one thing I really love .

I know you have already made your decision but for me Im going to going to pick up another Leica SL body and then review things when the SL2 arrives.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, rfunnell said:

Loved the EVF on the S1R  however the SL was my choice again as the colour palette was my preference and I felt there was less post processing required with images the current price seems competitive to buy back in again  and the GPS that just works is one thing I really love .

I know you have already made your decision but for me Im going to going to pick up another Leica SL body and then review things when the SL2 arrives.

Having used both extensively I have found the SL and SR1 colour palettes to be indistinguishable and processing (apart from sharpening) much the same..... certainly when using LR with the default Adobe profile. 

Lack of GPS is a shame ..... but I suppose we ought to be grateful that we now have a range of L, M and M mount compatible bodies that suit everyones needs ....

54 minutes ago, thighslapper said:

Having used both extensively I have found the SL and SR1 colour palettes to be indistinguishable and processing (apart from sharpening) much the same..... certainly when using LR with the default Adobe profile. 

Lack of GPS is a shame ..... but I suppose we ought to be grateful that we now have a range of L, M and M mount compatible bodies that suit everyones needs ....

Agree, I like the colour palette of the S1R; it looks very Leica-like for my eyes. This in contrast to the Nikon colours that I definitely have mixed feelings about...

Does anyone know whether the Leica L adaptor for M lenses and the Lumix S1 is able to read metadata from Leica M lenses ?

I just find it handy to document which lens was being used.

Very helpful for me as well. Just bought the adapter. First impressions with 50mm summicron (v4): Gorgeous quality and so simple to manual focus with focus peaking. Very light too. I think I've found my street setup. Maybe a 35mm summilux down the road but for now, I'm very happy. 

• 9 months later...

Update: Loving my S1R and added an M240 and a 35mm f2.8 Zeiss to the mix. Out of the blue, I am being offered an SL with two batteries and grip for 2000. I’m very tempted. Even though I love shooting with the s1r, whenever I hold the SL, I love the shooting experience. So now the options are:

1. Buy the SL and sell the M240. 

2. Buy the SL, use it and sell whichever camera I use less (s1r or SL)

3. Spend money on psychiatric sessions to cure my Leica affliction. 

9 hours ago, sanadsaad said:

Update: Loving my S1R and added an M240 and a 35mm f2.8 Zeiss to the mix. Out of the blue, I am being offered an SL with two batteries and grip for 2000. I’m very tempted. Even though I love shooting with the s1r, whenever I hold the SL, I love the shooting experience. So now the options are:

1. Buy the SL and sell the M240. 

2. Buy the SL, use it and sell whichever camera I use less (s1r or SL)

3. Spend money on psychiatric sessions to cure my Leica affliction. 

If I were in your shoes...

1.  No...use the M and see if you bond with it.  Different tool than the others.

2. Yes

3. No...not curable, if you need to ask.

Jeff

Sanadsaad,  I completely agree with JeffS's recommendations in his post #52 above.  There is no cure for Leica Lunacy...many have tried rehab only to relapse. So best enjoy whatever Leica cameras and lenses you buy and simply submit for life-long addiction like the rest of us.   r/ Mark  

Agreed! Leica feels a class apart. I’ll go with Jeff’s advice. I recently took the m240 with me to a trip to london and the more I’ve shot with it, the more confident I got and started enjoying it a lot more. Also, it was raining and I hung it around my neck under my coat. I could barely notice i had a camera with me. Whenever I carry the s1r, the ease of use isn’t the same. I also checked out the 35mm summicron SL and started getting ideas before my wife recognised the signs and pulled me out of the shop :)