Leica SL with 24 90 or s1r with 50: help

sanadsaad

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi guys, 

I wanted your opinion on something. I am in London and have sold all of my nikon and fuji gear. I am looking to go with one camera and one lens for the money that I've got for it. (5500 pounds). For this price, I am getting:

Panasonic S1r with 50mm S Pro lens (5100 pounds) 

Leica SL with 24-90 zoom or 50mm lens (5500 pounds) 

Which one should I go for? I know its not an easy question to answer but what I'm hoping for is advice from you guys who have used the SL and can share their wisdom about this. Much appreciated. 

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, sanadsaad said:

Hi guys, 

I wanted your opinion on something. I am in London and have sold all of my nikon and fuji gear. I am looking to go with one camera and one lens for the money that I've got for it. (5500 pounds). For this price, I am getting:

Which one should I go for? I know its not an easy question to answer but what I'm hoping for is advice from you guys who have used the SL and can share their wisdom about this. Much appreciated. 

Two years ago, I bought the SL & 24-90.  My goal, was to have a single "do-it-all" package for my family, travel, hobby enthusiast shooting.  BEAUTIFUL photos and wonderful handling.  But it had relatively poor low light performance and was simply too big.  So, I added a Summilux 35/1.4 for low light (a joy with the EVF) and retained my Sony RX1RII for travel.  This was a great set-up, but felt it didn't really make the most of the $5k (auto-focus) body.

I've since had the SL stolen.  I tried the Panasonic S1R in store and decided to pass.  It's just too big.

I'm going to wait for the SL2, hoping for an even better EVF and smaller size. 

I now have both of those bodies as well as the SL 50.   For the past 2 years, I believed the leica SL was was the best camera I’ve ever used and I would never part with it.  Well, I took receipt of an S1R a couple of weeks ago and , after spending that time getting to know it, I would definitely go with the S1.  The ergonomics, ibis, Evf, and yes, the af are just better than the SL. 

I have had the SL since it was released and has been my all time favourite camera. Having said that I just got the S1R and it is amazing, just better in every way than the SL, its just an evolution of that camera. I would recommend the S1/S1R unless you are prepared to wait for the SL2.

The Panasonic 50mm 1.4 is superb, probably 90% of the Summilux with faster autofocus. You won't be disappointed.

I would go with the 24-90 More lenses in one. Also depends on the type of shooting that you are doing and image rendering that you looking for in the end.  Any choice will have its pro's and cons. For me the 50mm will be nice but am not about the "bokeh" nonesess and if i wanna shoot in doors or tight spaces the 50mm won't be my first go to choice at all. Also the 24-90mm will save you money eventually since you already have most focal lenses already. Getting the 50mm will just have you looking at other lenses to buy, i rather focus on shooting than equipment 🤣

Well, jessops reneged on the Panasonic Easter deal in store so now both prices are the same. There's something about the sleek look of the SL. It's absolutely gorgeous. Minimal. On the other hand, Panasonic is the more evolved SL in terms of features. Maybe buy the leica and if I feel I need more, sell the body and buy a panny? The cost of the body works out to be 1600 in that deal. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have both the SL and S1R and in my view the S1R is a much more up to date camera. IBIS is incredible so that much slower shutter speeds can be used and the high ISO performance is at least on par with the SL if not better. 

I use the S1R now with the Leica 24-90 which makes for an incredibly versatile package. Just add a higher speed prime and there are lots of those around for very reasonable prices. 

I don’t find the weight a handicap at all. I find I hang the camera lens down and can take a lot of the weight with my hand to relieve the weight of the strap. 

It looks based on the rumours, but who knows, that the SL2 won’t have IBIS and I wouldn’t buy another camera without it. 

5 hours ago, sanadsaad said:

old tech for 5500 vs latest tech for 5100...sounds quite easy to decide between 2 electronic / non-mechanical cameras

I own an SL, the Vario-E 24-90mm and the S1R.  The S1R and 24-90 combination is so good that I've relegated my SL to a cabinet shelf.  Furthermore, the S1R/24-90 combination, with its excellent sensor and IBIS, allows for the acquisition of low light images that I could never have considered with the SL.  The S1R, IMO, is everything the SL should have been, or perhaps will be in its next iteration.  By today's standards, IMO, the SL is technologically challenged.  Either wait and see what the SL2 brings to the table, or buy the S1R/S1.

I'm with Ron, as much as I loved the SL, it's been relegated to the point of being sold off. The ergonomics of the S1R aren't perfect, but it's a very competent, functional camera. There are a few features on the S1R that make it great for my use, specifically focus bracketing and aperture bracketing. It's also the only EVF that rivals the SL in quality (in terms of actual IQ the EVF is probably better,  but I have a few issues with how certain features are implemented, so it's kind of a wash).

If I were to be using Leica M lenses on one of these bodies as a replacement for an M-mount camera, I would keep the SL. In practice though, I don't do that as much as I figured that I would when I bought the SL.

I'd try to find a way to get a S1R and Vario-Elmar 24-90. That seems like the best all around usage kit.

Edited by JeffWright

1 minute ago, Jeff S said:

Certain EVF features, or other camera features?

Jeff

Sorry, that was a bit of a garbled sentence. I was referring to certain EVF features.  In particular I don't like how the focus magnification and AF area selection function. When active, they are presented as a separate 'mode' and all other VF information is hidden. They're usable as they are, but not immediately intuitive. Also not a fan of the histogram display options, which I find useful sometimes.

I'm thinking of getting the SL with 24 to 90 for 5500 and then if I don't like the SL, or do feel the need for the s1r, I can sell the SL and buy the s1R. The lens itself is 3900. A used SL is going for 3k but realistically will probably sell around 2k. That way I'll get to see what the SL is about. 

@Boojay it's the last one so I'm negotiating. It's in selfridges London. Buy it before me and rid me of this temptation. I think they definitely are clearing the SLs based on deals going up. 

Edited by sanadsaad

1 hour ago, JeffWright said:

I'm with Ron, as much as I loved the SL, it's been relegated to the point of being sold off. The ergonomics of the S1R aren't perfect, but it's a very competent, functional camera. There are a few features on the S1R that make it great for my use, specifically focus bracketing and aperture bracketing. It's also the only EVF that rivals the SL in quality (in terms of actual IQ the EVF is probably better,  but I have a few issues with how certain features are implemented, so it's kind of a wash).

If I were to be using Leica M lenses on one of these bodies as a replacement for an M-mount camera, I would keep the SL. In practice though, I don't do that as much as I figured that I would when I bought the SL.

I'd try to find a way to get a S1R and Vario-Elmar 24-90. That seems like the best all around usage kit.

Just thought that I would add a few positive points.  I must admit that nothing is ever perfect, but at least the S1R's EVF allows the histogram, which I use frequently, to be displayed along with any other framing assistant, such as the level or grid.  With the SL you have to switch back a forth between screens, a real nuisance.  In addition, the S1R's EVF does not exhibit the bright light dimming issue that the SL is prone to.  And like you, I have a collection of M lenses that I never use and would like to sell, along with my pristine, SL body.  I have no idea what the SL2 will bring to the party, but at this point, the S1R does what I need and then some ... and I don't think that there's an SL2 in my future.  

In fact, if the first 3 Panasonic S lenses are representative of what they're planning for their future glass in terms of IQ, I may well be saying good-bye to Leica.  Are the corresponding Leica lenses better than the first 3 Panasonic's?  Probably, but most of us do not do side by side testing of lenses, and the people who are purchasing photos—fine art—do not care which camera or lens was employed.  So from an economic standpoint, and IMO, the Panasonic glass is better than adequate, they're really good.

Time will tell.  Clearly they are not designing / building down to a price.    The Leica SL lenses are superb, particularly the home-grown Summicrons.  But the other manufacturers are also raising their game, figuring out that the results need to be a cut above to compete with phones and computational photography,

The SL is a superb camera, an older technology by todays standards.  I sent my S1R back and am shooting my SL and even older M240 with superb results.  However it depends on what you're shooting, the S1R has many more features than the SL and menus to match, if those features are not necessary the SL is the best interface around.  I don't find 47mp that big a leap from 24mp.   Lenses are my primary, bodies secondary, the 24-90mm is a match for M prime lens IQ, I never thought that would occur, but it has.  When I shot the S1R it was with the kit lens, and comparing it to the SL/24-90 what immediately jumped out were the greens, the Panasonic being more blue and the Leica more yellow.  Things I really liked in the S1R were the ibis feedback in the viewfinder, the button layout and a well thought out camera.  They're both great, I'm happy with my SL and will continue shooting it for many years.  

1 hour ago, jrp said:

Time will tell.  Clearly they are not designing / building down to a price.    The Leica SL lenses are superb, particularly the home-grown Summicrons.  But the other manufacturers are also raising their game, figuring out that the results need to be a cut above to compete with phones and computational photography,

No argument there, the Leica SL lenses are exceptional but, as you've indicated, the non Leica manufacturers are raising their bars and I suspect that the "L" alliance members will be offering stiff competition for Leica, both in body—as already witnessed with the S series—and with lenses.  I'm not clear on the significance of the Leica certification for the Panasonic S Pro lenses, but from what I've seen so far, the IQ is close to if not spot on competitive.  Sure, there are differences in color and contrast, but nothing that cannot be easily compensated for in post, if it is even necessary.  It remains to be seen how well their future offerings will perform, but I am hopeful.