robgo2

New CL owner--looking for a good bag

Advertisement (gone after registration)

4 hours ago, robgo2 said:

As for the noise of the Domke's velcro fastener strips, I plan to get some velcro silencers to cover most, but not all, of the strips. That will give me some security while reducing the ripping sound significantly. Your idea of using magnetic fasteners is a good one also.

I just used an electric shaver on mine and cut the loop section down enough so that it barely grips. The point of the flap is to keep water out ... not to secure the contents. That's the purpose of the zipper. So the flap just flaps over and protects the interior from rain. The reason its up near the top and only useful when the bag is full or overstuff is because that's when it might need to be secured to do its job of keeping the rain out. :D

Mine is untreated heavy cotton. I've treated it with Scotchgard once or twice over the time I've had it. Never seen anything inside get wet. 

The Fogg bags are nice, but hideously expensive in the USA and likely not worth the premium over Billingham bags (which are also premium priced in the USA). On the other hand, over the years I've migrated to using a Peak Design Everyday Sling 5L, a Black Label Bag Oskar's One Day Bag II, and the two Wotancraft bags, Mini Rider and Easy Rider. The latter two have become my favorites for when I'm riding bicycle or motorcycle, the Everyday Sling 5L is perfect for walking about with a light kit, and the Oskar's is what I've used for traveling for years now. 

Frankly, I've got so many bags in the closet now I could open a store. But that set of bags is what actually works, other than for storage. Because I'm cycling so much of the time these days, the Wotancraft Mini Rider has become my most-used bag. 

Posted (edited)
On 4/23/2019 at 12:16 PM, raadoo said:

My Domke F6 Little Bit Smaller fits my: 

• CL,
  • 18mm,
  • 11-23mm,
  • 55-135mm,
  • battery,
  • a Manfrotto EVO 2
  • a Cokin Medium P Series 6 Filter Pouch

with room to add two(!) more lenses as well as other small bits in both the front and back pockets.

It's smaller than my other messengers (Manfrotto Windsor and ThinkTank Retrospective 7) yet somehow fits more inside it and is easier to get in and out of.

I have the F3X Domke, using an old F1 insert, find it nice, holds what I want. My one problem with is is that it looks like a camera bag. An Uber driver in DC said "nice camera bag, but you have a good camera in it" hmmm made me think a little. Maybe a messenger bag might be better, less obvious and it could hold my 13 Asus travel computer. In DC my wife carried the computer in her tote bag. I have an old North face messenger bag and a spare Domke F2 insert may see how that works. With the F3X the camera is always ready and accessible.

Edited by tommonego@gmail.com

I also have my CL and lenses insured. It’s a great way to have peace of mind - and to not hold back on bringing the camera to wherever I venture. 

Leica Miami told me ONA bags were on sale so I bought a cylindrical Beacon lens case that looks like a wine bottle carrier, not a photo bag.

it holds my CL with 18mm, plus 11-23mm and a 55-135mm. The ease of removing the chosen lens has been welcome. I prefer the beacon to rectangular bags that can’t be considered as non-camera bag no matter how small. And when I wish, is a great bag for a small tripod or a wine bottle.

I saw the TL leather bag by Leica at Leica Store LA, and decided to buy it on Amazon.  It's a beautiful grey leather bag, great quality.  It holds the camera with one extra lens, a couple filters, one or two extra batteries.  It's not for hauling all your gear, but it's definitely stylish.  It's light weight, good for walk around.  It's pretty well balanced so it does not get in the way when you walk.   I bought the CL for the light weight, and this bag fit my need perfectly.  I can take it to work and it does not look out of place.  

On 4/26/2019 at 4:33 PM, nicci78 said:

Please avoid ONA : sharp looking bags, but not really sturdy. Material choice is not top notch and weather resistant is nowhere near the excellent english weatherproof Billingham. 

Not sure why you are advising people to avoid the Ona. I find it to be completely sturdy and well made. The hardware is brass, and all the buckles and snaps are solid. I've had the Bowry (dark truffle leather) for almost a year and am perfectly happy with it for what I use it for. Material choice for the ona is also top notch. It's not weather proofed where the flap closes on the sides, but I'm not sure I'd want to be in a blazing downpour either way.  It'll cover it fine in a mist or a light rain. I did also get it around 25% off retail. 

Most other bags are too big. I totally understand wanting to take that other stuff along, despite the weight, but I can't stand carrying around a half filled bag. For day trips in urban settings, the ona does fine for me. I have the CL in it, two filters, compact reading glasses, the 18-56 (and sometimes the 55-135), lens cleaning cloth/ brush, SD card case, small notebook, pen, two extra batteries, wrist strap and the neck strap that came with the CL, and travel tissues. When the longer zoom isn't in it a sunglass case fits in it fine.  It also has a flap on the backside for maps (remember those?) and such - like a plastic bag to make it weather proof if necessary. As I said elsewhere, it's not intended to pack non camera gear into it like you would a day bag. 

I eventually want a slightly larger bag to include a water bottle, additional glasses, and other things, but haven't found the right size. I also don't like it to look like a camera bag and the Billingham Hadley Small Pro looks totally like a camera bag. All I'd need is a gadget vest with 20 pockets, cargo pants, and a safari hat to complete the picture. 

Anyway. My 2 cents. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The Lowepro 150 M- Trek fits in it my CL,  35mm, R-L adapter, 18mm, 55-135mm, 240mm f4 Apo Telyt, 90mm R and 23mm f2. The top compartment takes chargers etc. , and even has easy room for a 13 inch laptop . I think this brand is outstanding for the rigidity with this heavy weight of contents, and above all, the compartments are padded to a much superior degree than others, and choosing this brand over items that collapse when you lift them, why bother......It cost me £89 and the nearest comparison looked flimsier and less protective at £130. I have a Billingham two lens shoulder bag for general pottering about, and an 18mm pancake lens for discrete 'round the houses' purposes .

On 5/4/2019 at 2:01 AM, LeicaS2 said:

Leica Miami told me ONA bags were on sale so I bought a cylindrical Beacon lens case that looks like a wine bottle carrier, not a photo bag.

it holds my CL with 18mm, plus 11-23mm and a 55-135mm. The ease of removing the chosen lens has been welcome. I prefer the beacon to rectangular bags that can’t be considered as non-camera bag no matter how small. And when I wish, is a great bag for a small tripod or a wine bottle.

We have the same setup of 18, 11-23 & 55-135!

I was eyeballing the Beacon as a way to carry my gear while cycling.

How comfortable would you be in the bag's ability to withstand a downpour?

Thanks!

It’s “waterproof” but the zippers might eventually leak. If out in heavy rain for twenty minutes you should be ok,  if you are cycling for hours in heavy rain I’d want an outer cover rain shield like so many other camera bags have. But it doesn’t come with its own rain cover. It does ship with a thin tan cover that you could use if you sprayed it with waterproofing. That would provide extra protection for the zippers.

For cycling, it hangs across your back so much better than any bag, other than a half shoulder pack. And a half shoulder pack is overkill for your small kit.

Jack

I switched bags endlessly but finally this year got a  "Billingham Hadley Pro".  It can hold all my gear easily, is flexible with a removable internal pouch and fairly light weight.  Extremely well made and imported from England.

My peak design 5l finally arrived.  It holds the camera, 35mm, 23mm and 18mm plus charger spare cards and battery just about right.  Not much else I could fit, but it perfectly holds that entire kit.

As suggested many many bags work. I have donated my Billingham for Leica M to my girlfriend. It is obviously tailored for camera and 3 lenses. But with a bit of imagination one or two more of the smaller lenses can be added. Should one wish to.

On 4/26/2019 at 9:33 PM, nicci78 said:

Please avoid ONA : sharp looking bags, but not really sturdy. Material choice is not top notch and weather resistant is nowhere near the excellent english weatherproof Billingham. 

I read the title of this thread with interest and was going to jump straight in and recommend the bag that I bought very soon after purchasing my CL.
I scanned through the posts to see if anybody had already done so and thus saved me a job but I read the quite above and this spurred me on to write a post.

I bought the ONA Bond Street bag and I LOVE it, it is in the cognac finish and hands down the most beautiful camera bag I have ever seen.
When it arrived and my wife stood over me as we got it out of the box, her first comment was "Can I have it?"
I was a bit of a snob and went for the Leica edition (fell for the marketing....) which is red inside and has a little red dot (what else?) in place of one of the brass rivets on the front.

I do not have as much kit as many of the members here, I have a CL, the 23mm prime and the 18-56 mm zoom. I also have an old Zeiss lens of my Dads with a Novoflex filter (which basically combine to give a rough size the same as the 18-56). With one lens attached to the camera the other 2 will comfortably fit in the bag, so everything is neat and tidy. There is also some side pockets which will take small items such as a spare battery. There is also a front section where it would be safe to put passports and airline boarding passes. In practice when I am away from home I would have the camera and 1 other lens which leaves a little more space for the charger and some headphones etc (if I were travelling). I think the thing I like most about this bag is that it doesn't look like a camera bag (more of a smart man bag), so it is not obvious you are carrying a valuable camera.

Regarding the comment about sturdiness, I am not sure how sturdy any non solid camera bag would be. As far as I can tell the leather is quite thick and feels very protective. The buckles are all solid brass and feel like you could open and shut them a million times with no issues. That said I do not throw it about, I treat it carefully as it has close to £5000 worth of kit inside. I can't comment on the waterproof-ness of the bag as I have not exposed it to heavy rain. In a light shower it has been fine as I have ensured it was over my shoulder but under my jacket/coat. (I have only ever had a cheap canvas bag before so cannot compare the quality to some of the makes mentioned here)

It also has a weathered look which I can see will only improve with age.

Have enclosed a couple of pics of mine, I am thrilled with it. It is a pleasure to handle and use - very much like a Leica camera.

Good luck in your research, I am sure you will  be pleased with whatever you end up with.

Best wishes,

Ravi

Posted (edited)

I also own an ONA bowery in cognac non Leica version. Love the style, but not really trustworthy .

It is not brass on ONA bags. All pseudo brass/unknown alloy parts are the weakest link, prone to break first. 

ONA bags are not weather resistant  

Really not as solid and storm proof as Billingham with their genuine brass and butyl bonded fabrics. 

Edited by nicci78

On 5/10/2019 at 3:03 PM, Ravi said:

I read the title of this thread with interest and was going to jump straight in and recommend the bag that I bought very soon after purchasing my CL.
I scanned through the posts to see if anybody had already done so and thus saved me a job but I read the quite above and this spurred me on to write a post.

I bought the ONA Bond Street bag and I LOVE it, it is in the cognac finish and hands down the most beautiful camera bag I have ever seen.
When it arrived and my wife stood over me as we got it out of the box, her first comment was "Can I have it?"
I was a bit of a snob and went for the Leica edition (fell for the marketing....) which is red inside and has a little red dot (what else?) in place of one of the brass rivets on the front.

I do not have as much kit as many of the members here, I have a CL, the 23mm prime and the 18-56 mm zoom. I also have an old Zeiss lens of my Dads with a Novoflex filter (which basically combine to give a rough size the same as the 18-56). With one lens attached to the camera the other 2 will comfortably fit in the bag, so everything is neat and tidy. There is also some side pockets which will take small items such as a spare battery. There is also a front section where it would be safe to put passports and airline boarding passes. In practice when I am away from home I would have the camera and 1 other lens which leaves a little more space for the charger and some headphones etc (if I were travelling). I think the thing I like most about this bag is that it doesn't look like a camera bag (more of a smart man bag), so it is not obvious you are carrying a valuable camera.

Regarding the comment about sturdiness, I am not sure how sturdy any non solid camera bag would be. As far as I can tell the leather is quite thick and feels very protective. The buckles are all solid brass and feel like you could open and shut them a million times with no issues. That said I do not throw it about, I treat it carefully as it has close to £5000 worth of kit inside. I can't comment on the waterproof-ness of the bag as I have not exposed it to heavy rain. In a light shower it has been fine as I have ensured it was over my shoulder but under my jacket/coat. (I have only ever had a cheap canvas bag before so cannot compare the quality to some of the makes mentioned here)

It also has a weathered look which I can see will only improve with age.

Have enclosed a couple of pics of mine, I am thrilled with it. It is a pleasure to handle and use - very much like a Leica camera.

Good luck in your research, I am sure you will  be pleased with whatever you end up with.

Best wishes,

Ravi

I also bought the bigger Ona bag and thoroughly enjoy using it. I’ve had it for two years and see no issue with wear and tear. Maybe they make them to a lower quality standard for the French market.

The metal buckles and clips on mine are strong enough. You'd need to put a few bricks of gold and maybe a couple of cinder blocks to fatigue the metal to the point of breaking, if that. But the stitching would fail first. The space in the bag allows for maybe 3- 4 pounds worth of stuff, max. I would not characterize it as "untrustworthy" at all. From the ona website https://www.onabags.com/about 

OUR MATERIALS

We use premium materials, such as full-grain leather, waxed canvas, and solid brass hardware. We source all of our materials with great care from some of the finest suppliers around the globe, from the United States to Italy.