New CL owner--looking for a good bag

Advertisement (gone after registration)

As requested, here’s a quick pic of my Timbuk2 Small Flight Messenger bag loaded with these in a small Billingham Hadley insert:

- CL w/ 18-56 w/grip & hood (Nikon HB24)

- 35mm TL

- 23mm TL (w HB24 hood)

and these in the pockets of the bag:

- Macbook Air (back sleeve)

- Shoulder strap (right side of insert)

- Rocket blower (left side of insert)

- 3 spare batteries (in pouch on left of insert)

- Nitecore charger (front sleeve)

- Battery charger (front sleeve)

- Lens brush (front sleeve)

- Elpro close focus lens (front pocket)

- Microfiber cloth (front pocket)

- Charging cables (inside zipped pocket not visible)

- SD card adapters (outside small zipped pocket not visible)

- Small notebook & pen (outside front zipped pocket)

The bag probably can fit a larger insert, but this suits my needs.

Its lightweight and inconspicuous. The camera is easily accessed as I carry the bag on my shoulder or as a sling.  It also has a cross-strap that’s great to use for biking.

I also use Velcro silencing strips to make that sound go away...

i couldn't’ reduce the file size on my phone so here’s a link:

https://adobe.ly/2UOOw7I

i hope this is helpful.

Cheers.

Edited by Guest

DGP, thanks for putting that list and the photos together.

Actually, I am seeking a more compact bag for walking the streets. Generally, I follow a minimalist approach involving one camera w/ prime lens attached, a second lens, extra batteries and SD cards. Anything more becomes too much of a burden for my aging neck and shoulders. I just watched some videos about the Peak Design Everyday Sling 5L. It looks very promising for the CL.

24 minutes ago, robgo2 said:

Actually, I am seeking a more compact bag for walking the streets. Generally, I follow a minimalist approach involving one camera w/ prime lens attached, a second lens, extra batteries and SD cards. Anything more becomes too much of a burden for my aging neck and shoulders. I just watched some videos about the Peak Design Everyday Sling 5L. It looks very promising for the CL.

I totally agree and in fact had to get the lenses from the dry box and the rocket blower and laptop to show how it all fit. LOL

Like you, at most I typically bring a battery and a 2nd lens (23 w/o hood if I don’t use a bag) which I can throw in my pocket, i sometimes use the Timbuk2 as a combo bag with the camera, a lens, and a diaper and wipes for my grandchild in the area surrounding the insert.  :)

Well, I decided to go with the Domke F-5XB. It is the right size for my purposes, and I know from past experience that it is not rigid. I'm afraid that my old one is no longer usable, so I will have to replace it. They cost only $60 at B&H.

• Like 1

On 4/24/2019 at 11:12 AM, robgo2 said:

Well, I decided to go with the Domke F-5XB. It is the right size for my purposes, and I know from past experience that it is not rigid. I'm afraid that my old one is no longer usable, so I will have to replace it. They cost only $60 at B&H.

My Domke F-5XB is a mainstay in my vast bag collection; one of the best Domke's ever made for my use. I think I bought it in 1990 or earlier: It's well worn but still completely serviceable, and is still working very nicely for various carry purposes. Currently, mine is the repository for my custom-made 6x6 pinhole camera and its necessary accessories, but I used it to carry a Leica M kit, a Nikon FM kit, and various other cameras over the many years. 

The CL will fit very nicely in it! :D

Edited by ramarren

24 minutes ago, ramarren said:

My Domke F-5XB is a mainstay in my vast bag collection; one of the best Domke's ever made for my use. I think I bought it in 1990 or earlier: It's well worn but still completely serviceable, and is still working very nicely for various carry purposes. Currently, mine is the repository for my custom-made 6x6 pinhole camera and its necessary accessories, but I used it to carry a Leica M kit, a Nikon FM kit, and various other cameras over the many years. 

The CL will fit very nicely in it! :D

My old F-5XB is serviceable except for the gripper strap, whose tiny rubberized particles are falling off like leaves from a tree and making a mess. I suppose that I could simply have replaced the strap, but a new bag in a different color seemed like a better idea.

That domke bag looks a lot like the ONA Bowery. I own it, but got it at a discount. If anyone is interested, I'll post pics of how I have it set up for the CL, 18-56 and 55-135. It would work for film cameras and an extra lens. My D7000 is a bit big for it, but would work if it had to. 

It's a photo bag, and nothing else. Don't expect to shove a sunglasses or reading glasses case into it. 

18 hours ago, robgo2 said:

My old F-5XB is serviceable except for the gripper strap, whose tiny rubberized particles are falling off like leaves from a tree and making a mess. I suppose that I could simply have replaced the strap, but a new bag in a different color seemed like a better idea.

I have two spare, new straps in stock. I use the strap on a variety of bags... :)

What somebody I've never heard of before has to say about the bag that I've been using happily for nearly thirty years is of no interest to me other than for the entertainment value. :D

Edited by ramarren
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ramarren said:

I have two spare, new straps in stock. I use the strap on a variety of bags... :)

What somebody I've never heard of before has to say about the bag that I've been using happily for nearly thirty years is of no interest to me other than for the entertainment value. :D

My Gripper strap is nearly 20 years old. The problem for me is that I live in an arid climate (New Mexico), and the rubberized strips dried out over time. 

Like you, I know from personal experience what a terrific bag the F-5XB is and feel quite comfortable ignoring the gripes of a single individual. He is entitled to his opinion, but so are we. 

When I got back into photography (taking a hiatus because I couldn't initially accept the idea of digital), my brother-in-law told me that what photographers really argue about is their camera bags. I couldn't believe him. It just holds stuff. I have the original Domke and just bought a bigger bag from ebay at 1/4 of retail. It's from one of the best known manufacturers but was deeply discounted because it's "last year's model"!! Are you serious? what is "last year's model"?? Fewer megapixels? Fine by me for $50.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, bags27 said:

When I got back into photography (taking a hiatus because I couldn't initially accept the idea of digital), my brother-in-law told me that what photographers really argue about is their camera bags. I couldn't believe him. It just holds stuff. I have the original Domke and just bought a bigger bag from ebay at 1/4 of retail. It's from one of the best known manufacturers but was deeply discounted because it's "last year's model"!! Are you serious? what is "last year's model"?? Fewer megapixels? Fine by me for $50.

LOL!

Bags are the most highly prized and discussed camera accessories around. They're almost discussed more than the cameras and lenses in some forums, and all of this equipment is discussed far more than the photographs people make with them. You are a rarity amongst photographic enthusiasts. :)

My original gripper strap lost its grip for similar reasons to yours, Robgo2. Never really bothered me, I don't rely upon the gripping qualities. The original on my F5XB was worn out about 10 years after I got it (frayed and beginning to tear up) so I put a new one on. 

For fun and amusement, I watched that video. The guy bought a waxed cotton bag ... why anyone who's going to be handling optical equipment would want a waxed material is beyond me. I also see that the F5XB design has changed a bit since mine was made. Mine has a pair of full depth pockets on the front, not half depth (a thread pick would solve that for him; I seem to recall that on mine one of the pockets had stitching to segregate it into pen/pencil carriers but I took those out ages ago). The front space between the foam and the outer shell isn't "sort of a pocket" ... It's a real pocket and very useful. The lack of foam on the sides is insignificant ... Most of my Domke bags (I have a few) have no padding at all other than on the bottom, and you're not supposed to be dropping and throwing your camera bag around. If you're that clumsy, buy a Pelican case and line it with 2" of shock proof material everywhere surrounding the gear. . 

Well, I think I'm going to take the Hasselblad out for a walk now. Maybe I'll put it into the F5XB ... :D 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ramarren said:

LOL!

Bags are the most highly prized and discussed camera accessories around. They're almost discussed more than the cameras and lenses in some forums, and all of this equipment is discussed far more than the photographs people make with them. You are a rarity amongst photographic enthusiasts. :)

My original gripper strap lost its grip for similar reasons to yours, Robgo2. Never really bothered me, I don't rely upon the gripping qualities. The original on my F5XB was worn out about 10 years after I got it (frayed and beginning to tear up) so I put a new one on. 

For fun and amusement, I watched that video. The guy bought a waxed cotton bag ... why anyone who's going to be handling optical equipment would want a waxed material is beyond me. I also see that the F5XB design has changed a bit since mine was made. Mine has a pair of full depth pockets on the front, not half depth (a thread pick would solve that for him; I seem to recall that on mine one of the pockets had stitching to segregate it into pen/pencil carriers but I took those out ages ago). The front space between the foam and the outer shell isn't "sort of a pocket" ... It's a real pocket and very useful. The lack of foam on the sides is insignificant ... Most of my Domke bags (I have a few) have no padding at all other than on the bottom, and you're not supposed to be dropping and throwing your camera bag around. If you're that clumsy, buy a Pelican case and line it with 2" of shock proof material everywhere surrounding the gear. . 

Well, I think I'm going to take the Hasselblad out for a walk now. Maybe I'll put it into the F5XB ... :D 

For the record, numerous users on the B&H website attest that the waxed outer surface is dry, not oily, and that they have had not experienced transfer of the wax to their gear. However, I can easily imagine how reapplication of the wax by the user might change that equation.

I have the waxed cotton FX5B. I like the material, which I have rewaxed once; I see no sign of contamination of my camera stuff. The wide webbing strap with its rubber grips is great, though I prefer straps that go round the bag as extra protection and secure support, and and would prefer not to have metal clips on the strap. I also like the scruffy looks. The zip, though plastic or plastic coated, can rub against camera and lenses as you take them out in a hurry - I see no sign of damage caused by this.

I have two real gripes with it, one solved, one not. The velcro on the strap is noisy: I ripped it off and replaced it with two magnetic fasteners bought from ebay. Works a charm - and no, I have not had any SD cards or images damaged by magnetism! The bag also lacks padding at the ends (mine is 6-7 years old, so the design may have changed by now), so you have to take care not to bang unprotected lenses against hard objects (cafe chairs & tables etc).

I use a Fogg b-minor instead of the FX5B now. Expensive, but very practical, durable, stylish and well made. Holds a CL plus second lens (third at a pinch), SD cards, batteries and notebook etc. The b-major is big enough for a tablet as well as camera kit; without a tablet I can get the SL and 24-90 and 90-280 zooms in it - well supported by the strap around the base.

I had a leather Ona Brixton once; loved the looks, hated it as a camera bag. Heavy (like most leather), poor/weak strap attachment design, padding so thick that the capacity was not as good as it looks, and too deep to make good use of the capacity, short of piling lenses on top of each other and a camera on top again. I suspect the leather was chosen for its look and feel rather than durability. I sold it as soon as I could.

19 minutes ago, LocalHero1953 said:

I have the waxed cotton FX5B. I like the material, which I have rewaxed once; I see no sign of contamination of my camera stuff. The wide webbing strap with its rubber grips is great, though I prefer straps that go round the bag as extra protection and secure support, and and would prefer not to have metal clips on the strap. I also like the scruffy looks. The zip, though plastic or plastic coated, can rub against camera and lenses as you take them out in a hurry - I see no sign of damage caused by this.

I have two real gripes with it, one solved, one not. The velcro on the strap is noisy: I ripped it off and replaced it with two magnetic fasteners bought from ebay. Works a charm - and no, I have not had any SD cards or images damaged by magnetism! The bag also lacks padding at the ends (mine is 6-7 years old, so the design may have changed by now), so you have to take care not to bang unprotected lenses against hard objects (cafe chairs & tables etc).

I use a Fogg b-minor instead of the FX5B now. Expensive, but very practical, durable, stylish and well made. Holds a CL plus second lens (third at a pinch), SD cards, batteries and notebook etc. The b-major is big enough for a tablet as well as camera kit; without a tablet I can get the SL and 24-90 and 90-280 zooms in it - well supported by the strap around the base.

I had a leather Ona Brixton once; loved the looks, hated it as a camera bag. Heavy (like most leather), poor/weak strap attachment design, padding so thick that the capacity was not as good as it looks, and too deep to make good use of the capacity, short of piling lenses on top of each other and a camera on top again. I suspect the leather was chosen for its look and feel rather than durability. I sold it as soon as I could.

Wow!  That Fogg b-minor is gorgeous, but larger, more rigid and more expensive than what I want.

As for the noise of the Domke's velcro fastener strips, I plan to get some velcro silencers to cover most, but not all, of the strips. That will give me some security while reducing the ripping sound significantly. Your idea of using magnetic fasteners is a good one also.

I never thought of the b minor as larger than the F5XB. I don't doubt the dimensions, but to me they have been interchangeable in capacity. I think the Fogg has thicker/more padding, which probably accounts for it.

Foggs are expensive, yes, but since getting them (and the Fogg flute for single camera/small lens) I can swear I have looked at no other bag with adulterous eyes, and they have seen a lot of heavy use. The makers are happy to customise them, so mine have leather grab handles on the top flap, and no fasteners on the small pockets (just flaps, held in place by the main flap and its fastener).

Edited by LocalHero1953

I used 3 different Billingham bags, for different purpose  

Please avoid ONA : sharp looking bags, but not really sturdy. Material choice is not top notch and weather resistant is nowhere near the excellent english weatherproof Billingham. 

It is something like New York excellent marketing (but produce somewhere unindentified) against real British craftsmanship. 

My bags

- Hadley Pro : T + APO-Macro-Elmarit-TL 60 with hood on (non reverse) & CL with handgrip + Summilux-TL 35 with hood on (non reverse)

- F/2.8 : Q with handgrip & CL with handgrip + Summilux-TL 35 or APO-Macro-Elmarit-TL 60 I can add either lens into AVEA 5 end pocket, a travel Tripod and a thin pull over. 

- Hadley small : T + Elmarit-TL 18 OR Q with handgrip & CL with handgrip + Summarit-M 50

In any of these bags I still have enough room to bring an iPad Pro 10.5”, a Ultravid 8x20, a Nikon 28Ti, a 50cL bottle of water, batteries, blower, handkerchiefs, emergency medecines, pocket umbrella, and more stuff suitable for any man purse. 

Most used bags are Hadley small and F/2.8

Edited by nicci78