roydonian

I need the title of a certain book

Advertisement (gone after registration)

When browsing the internet several days ago, I came across details of a book on photographic history which seemed to be focussed more on how styles of image-making had evolved rather than on how cameras, lenses and film had evolved. For example, it showed how the stiff formalism of early photos had given way to late-19th century pictorialism, then to early and mid 20th century styles.

Just as I was thinking that this was a book I'd like to acquire and read, my computer failed. By the time that the computer was operational once more, I'd forgotten the title of the book, and the 'history' feature of my browser did not contain a reference to what I'd been looking at. A few hours of google searching have not been successful in locating it.

Can anyone suggest what it might have been? My memory is that the book was published some time in the 1970s and is now out of print. The dust jacket was mostly white with a single a single dark subject - perhaps a human figure or a tree.

I had a look on my bookshelves (far too many photography books) but to no avail. All I can suggest is trying searches through abebooks.com using relevant key words - at least that will be a highly targeted search.

Posted (edited)

Can I mention 'Photography The Whole Story', edited by Juliet Hacking and published by Thames and Hudson in 2012?  I have the 2014 'softback' version. While the book is not complete in its coverage of photographers, it does include an analysis of style and content points from some significant photographs from 1840 up to the present. This seems to be what is being sought here. Review here: http://www.crowleyphoto.com/blog_files/45a43ec4ed970ad1b277c9ab7a73a634-18.html

The website mentioned by Dunk is also very useful and I may join the forum there. Like my good friends Paul and Dunk, my interest in early photography extends well beyond Leica and Leitz.

William

Edited by willeica

I can second William's recommendation of "Photography The Whole Story" - I recently read this myself (I picked up a secondhand hard back copy very reasonably). Its a good time to buy books - just picked up two mountain photography books, by Poucher and by Smythe, in a local auction - £6.50 inc. commission - crazy!