Which lens to trade for a TL2?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello Everyone. Been reading a lot of discussions in this forum and love the varied opinions of the group. While at the end of the day, I understand the choice comes down to what would suit my requirements best, I'd be glad to hear what others think based on their own experience if they were in my shoes. 

Essentially, I'd like to get a TL2 but thinking of which one or two lenses to part with. These 3 are all superb lenses: TL 18-56, TL 18, Zeiss 21f4.5 ZM. The TL2 will be a second body to complement my CL with TL35 and TL55-135. 

A lot of my use is recreational but very varied - a lot of indoor events, occasional street photography, some portrait, a little action (children's school activities, business events, etc), vacation trips.

I'm inclined to keep only the TL18 for maximum compactness and pocketability but the TL 18-56 flexibility is superb and the Zeiss 21f4.5 sharpness and physical robustness is the best of the three (at least on the one I own, though it's the slowest lens of the bunch). I use manual lenses as much as autofocus lenses. 

Another choice is to forego the TL2 but instead trade the TL18 for a Ricoh GR III (I've read all the good and bad of the new camera and still think that it can be worth getting. I owned the GRII in the past). 

For a sampling of what I like to shoot, my instagram is: https://www.instagram.com/sparklesinmymind/

Thanks in advance for the thoughts. 

I have CL, TL2 combo

I like to use the TL2 as a "pocketable' camera and so I think the 18 is absolutely a keeper

I've just been on a cycling break and the pictures from my pocket camera are quite a lot better than my mate's GR3

and of course you can pop on an 11-23 when you hit town for cathedrals, etc

The CL is my 'proper camera' and gets the 18-56 tourist lens and 35 for low light etc as well as for manual 40, 50, 75 m-mounts as I find focusing easier with the EVF

The 40 summicron produced for the original CL is a gem and tiny too

The 23 goes on either

In your situation I feel the Zeiss goes

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies @huwm and @wda. I did consider a second CL body and after testing a T, I liked the form factor to complement the CL as there is no viewfinder hump to snag when going in and out of pockets and bags. Having the CL when I need it, I feel comfortable not having a viewfinder on the TL2 for the more casual shots. Good to know that the 18mm image quality is still better than the GRIII. I thought so, but interesting to hear from someone who’s seen the performance of both in a similar scenario.  

• Like 1

Tiny Elmarit-TL 18mm makes my T pocketable. Having no viewfinder makes it easier to store and to use. 

Even T + TL 2,8/18 has faster AF than GR III. 

T, TL or TL2 are the only ones to offer a very nice digital distance scale, which turn any TL lenses into nice manual lenses. It is also very handy for macro shots with TL 2,8/60mm. CL needs an M with engraved distance scale to do the tricks. 

So a T or TL2 paired with TL 18mm in hyperfocal mode, is lightning fast to use. 

Edited by nicci78
  • Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

@nicci78 the distance scale is definitely a plus for the T-TL-TL2. Heard good things about it from this forum. The GR III is now out of the option for me.

I saw how good the T is now after many firmware updates over the years and that it is still relevant in 2019. 

Now, I found a used T for 60% less (!) vs. the TL2 brand new price and found a 15% discount on a brand new TL2. This make me wonder now which one to get. Given that I will use the camera as more of a pocket camera.

Anyone else have upgraded from the T to a TL2? Is the above price for the T worth getting or just jump to a TL2? 

I have seen original Ts sell for around $500. I did not see a difference in IQ but it might come in handy to have the extra MP for cropping.  The TL2 menu system was simpler, and it perhaps shot a tad faster (but not very sure about that with all of the software updates for the T).

My thoughts: buy the T (at the right price) and then sell it (for little or no loss) if you are disappointed.  Rob

• Like 2

I ended up getting the GR3 and trading my 18-56. Mainly because the 18-56 was from the same store I got the GR3 and they were willing to buy back the lens with little cost penalty. 

Was already planning to get the TL2 and I even bought my 18 with me. However, during testing, the TL2+18 combo didn't produce sharp photos as the GR3. I know it wasn't the lens since I use it on my CL and SL with great results. There must have been something wrong with the particular model they had. So it put me off. 

I must say that the GR3 is a pleasant surprise. The lens by itself is sharper than the TL18 and the full camera as a unit is truly pocketable. The user interface and usability is outstanding. I dare say similar to better than the Leicas in many ways. And I've owned the Q and Fuji X100F too. The downside I see is that focusing in low light or low contrast subjects is not that great. But not a dealbreaker for me. 

For an upcoming trip, I plan on bringing the GR3 and CL + TL35 + TL55-135. 

Thanks for the responses everyone. 

• Thanks 1