Novoflex R adapter and lens recognition

DigitalHeMan

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This morning I was playing around with my Novoflex LET/LER and the Macro-Elmarit-R 60mm, my only R lens. The SL recognized that an R adapter was connected, and I could manually select the 60mm lens from the camera menu. However, when using the lens it was showing as 0mm in the viewfinder, and also there was no lens data saved when reviewing the images in the Leica FOTOS app. I haven’t looked in LR yet, but I assume it will be the same there as well. Is this normal, or have I done something wrong?

Edited by DigitalHeMan

Yes, but even with the Leica active adapter it wouldn’t be able to identify a lens automatically unless it is one of the later ROM models, which it isn’t.

The question is regarding to the capability to manually set the lens in the SL menus, and having this data saved in the EXIF

A lot hinges on which version of the SL firmware you are using.  

v3.4 was flaky when it came to the Leica R-to-L adapter.  Luckily v3.5 fixed it. If you are using v3.4 with your Novoflex adapter then it might be the v3.4 R bug.

Oddly, using the stacked adapter solution (M-to-L then R-to-M adapters) worked fine in v3.4.

Edited by AZN

4 hours ago, AZN said:

A lot hinges on which version of the SL firmware you are using.  

v3.4 was flaky when it came to the Leica R-to-L adapter.  Luckily v3.5 fixed it. If you are using v3.4 with your Novoflex adapter then it might be the v3.4 R bug.

Oddly, using the stacked adapter solution (M-to-L then R-to-M adapters) worked fine in v3.4.

OK thanks.... I’m using v3.5 already. It’s odd - I can set the lens type manually in the menu when the adapter is connected, and even when I reconnect the R adapter after using M lenses it shows the 60mm again in the menu. Just not storing anything in the EXIF...

vor einer Stunde schrieb DigitalHeMan:

OK thanks.... I’m using v3.5 already. It’s odd - I can set the lens type manually in the menu when the adapter is connected, and even when I reconnect the R adapter after using M lenses it shows the 60mm again in the menu. Just not storing anything in the EXIF...

It's a shame, but Leica will force us to buy the expensive original adapter. I've the same problem and discussed this with a Leica representative. Tenor: if someone buys this already expensive camera, he can also spend a bit more and buy the original adapter. (BTW I bought the adapter when no Leica adapter was available, except for combination M and R adapter!) It's just bad marketing policy :(

I still use the novoflex adapter, it's fine to me. But for APSC I switched to another company and for the L-system: now I can switch easily to another company because no EXIF data, and probably no lens correction, this is what you get with a Panasonic or Sigma as well. You are the customer!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Am 21.4.2019 um 11:34 schrieb jaapv:

Novoflex is a passive adapter. To get full functionality you need to use the Leica active adapter.

Sorry, but it is not the passive/active question as long as you have no ROM lens, it's just marketing policy!

On 4/21/2019 at 11:49 AM, DigitalHeMan said:

Yes, but even with the Leica active adapter it wouldn’t be able to identify a lens automatically unless it is one of the later ROM models, which it isn’t.

The question is regarding to the capability to manually set the lens in the SL menus, and having this data saved in the EXIF

I see. In that case it makes no difference then. 

1 hour ago, saxo said:

It's a shame, but Leica will force us to buy the expensive original adapter.

They are hardly forcing you. R lenses don't benefit much from software correction, so the only thing you lose is EXIF data with ROM lenses.

2 hours ago, BernardC said:

They are hardly forcing you. R lenses don't benefit much from software correction, so the only thing you lose is EXIF data with ROM lenses.

Since I use Auto ISO some of the time, the thing I will miss most by not being able to set the focal length for the lens I am using is the ability to associate the focal length with a minimum shutter speed. Still, I'll let Leica know - maybe the more people that do this, the more likely they are to make the fairly simple change in the software.

• Like 3