danielfrimley

Generic bits and bobs - lens caps

Advertisement (gone after registration)

After using my CL for a year it finally happened - I lost the little plastic insert for the hotshoe. My great UK dealer is getting a replacement one in for me but it made me think. Leica original parts can be expensive - a lens rightly so (that quality doesn't come cheap), a hand or thumb grip to some acceptably so (for fit and finish), a battery maybe so (the argument around OEM vs good equivalents will never end) but plastic odds and sods? Surely there are equivalents that could be used day to day, with very little impact on system performance, image quality, ease of use, brand ambassadorship and so on without:

1) breaking the bank,

2) causing grief at their loss.

I will always advocate OEM replacement products, not least for keeping the original set intact. But that won't stop me chucking my replacement Leica branded hotshoe cover in a box when it arrives until I want to sell the camera and using these everyday instead.

I now own 3 TL prime lenses, all protected with B+W 007 XS-PRO clear filters (let's not turn this into a debate about the rights and wrongs of that please!). The lens caps still fit fine, though they're not as snug and I WILL lose at least one I'm sure.

Would anyone recommend a particular lens cap brand/ reseller that would be suitable for everyday use, such that I can safely put ~£100 of plastic in the same box as the hotshoe cover and not have to listen to the shreaks of "How much!!" from the significant other when the inevitable occurs?

I have a variety from eBay, some labelled Canon, some Nikon some blank

I go for whatever is good quality and not Leica priced, some Leica sizes are a pain and I've use kood step up/down rings to get sensible price filter and cap combo (the 35 and 18 were particularly awkward)

Don't use lens cap at all. They come in the way to your greatest shots.

The filter is good enough for protection. Even in the bag. Even better with the hood on.

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, nicci78 said:

Don't use lens cap at all. They come in the way to your greatest shots.

The filter is good enough for protection. Even in the bag. Even better with the hood on.

Pay an absolute fortune for a lens.....then.....go and stick a bottle-bottom, relatively, on the front of it......:confused:

Edited by Dave in Wales

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The cap that came with 18-56, like all OEM caps I've found, is terrible.

OK, it's a centre-pinch cap, that's good.....but the depth of the 'pinch' is nowhere deep enough to be able to grip the cap.

To improve the situation I usually add a thin piece of self adhesive 'hook' velcro inside the pinch to increase the grip.

Either that or resort to aftermarket caps. 

Posted (edited)

Please high quality filter such as B+W or Heliopan do not induced any quality loss. 

No debate really. I tried with or without. Happy with. Save me several times. 

Sorry hoods will never protect your front element. Because they are designed with a huge hole in their center ! 😅 There is no magical spell to avoid projections inside. 

By the way Leica repair price and turnaround time are way to high/long. Therefore filters use. 

Almost all lenses are made for filter use. The hint ? The filter thread is present. So use it : protection, ND, polarising, etc

Edited by nicci78

I agree. Completely. I have the OEM lens cap in the case that the B&W X-PRO clear came in, which is in the bag in case I lose the one I bought from amazon for about $5. It doesn't have a center pinch, but I can grab it and take it off with the palm of my hand. It's also flat. Any one of these will do. 

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=49mm+Lens+Cap+with+Strap&i=electronics&ref=nb_sb_noss

And if i'm shooting, the cap is off and the camera is always in my hand with a wrist strap. I took off the hot shoe plastic thingie and it's in the box of the lim thumb support I bought for about $70  - and it works like a charm. OEM is $195.

https://www.amazon.com/Lims-Metal-Thumb-Support-Leica/dp/B07BXP3BBM

keep your search on eBay for used accessories ...I got the Leica thumb grip for under £60!

and yes, I use Leica filters and no lens caps...never affects the iq imho

On 4/21/2019 at 10:03 AM, Mute-on said:

I got three of these, two "Small" for the 35mm and 60mm TL and one "Mini" for the 23mm TL (there's a size guide on their website) - what a good idea, fit great whether the hood is in the stowed or ready position, scrunch up to take up no space, weigh nothing and afford a little extra bump, scrape and splash protection, which can never be a bad thing. Especially with my clumsiness.

14 hours ago, danielfrimley said:

I got three of these, two "Small" for the 35mm and 60mm TL and one "Mini" for the 23mm TL (there's a size guide on their website) - what a good idea, fit great whether the hood is in the stowed or ready position, scrunch up to take up no space, weigh nothing and afford a little extra bump, scrape and splash protection, which can never be a bad thing. Especially with my clumsiness.

That’s fantastic, Daniel. Glad I could help!

I’ve seen these at my local camera shop and thought they were actually a very good idea. I haven’t yet bought any, but on the strength of your feedback, I will definitely be purchasing a few. 

I imagine they would fit nicely over a mounted 12585 hood.  I’ll check the size guide. 

Cheers

J  :)