roma

Leica M adapter L 18771 with Panasonic S1 anyone?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm surprised that a 50 mm lens would show this effect, but basically yes, the presence of an AA filter and a thick filter stack, combined with less compatible microlenses will affect the corner/edge performance of some M lenses, mainly wideangle ones. Leica SL/CL cameras are designed to be compatible for M lenses. You cannot expect that from other-brand cameras.

See https://kolarivision.com/the-panasonic-s1r-disassembly-and-teardown/

Please go to the end of the article, saying:

These layers of sensor cover glass have a combined thickness of roughly 1.45 millimeters. This is thinner than the EOS R, but a decent sight thicker than the Z7’s 1.1mm, the thinnest we’ve come across yet. This makes the S1R a poor candidate for legacy Leica lens performance despite the partnership with Leica, meaning this camera is another excellent candidate for our Ultra-Thin filter modification service.

Edited by jankap

On 1/14/2020 at 12:35 PM, bill33 said:

Is this cover glass thickness layer the same for S1 ?

I believe so Bill though I have to say I have seen no such "corner smearing" with any of my M 50's.  Having said that I didn't buy the S1 for using my M lenses, mine is more likely to have a Canon telephoto with the MC-21 adaptor.  Biggest disappointment for me was that the MC-21 and CL weren't compatible, and probably the biggest selling point for me and a possible SL2 somewhere in the future is that the SL2 is.  Although I wait in hope of Sigma telephoto zooms in L mount.  A CL2 with IBIS and compatible with the MC-21, I would join the waiting list and pay a hefty deposit for now happily!

I do find the M to L adaptor useful for my longer M primes 75/90/135, for which I have no L or (EF) equivalents, and enjoy the ability to use IBIS and focus magnification.  

Edited by Boojay

I see the problem on my S1 with the 50mm 1.4 ASPH. I do not have the summicron to try. It is highly lens dependent...my 35mm 1.4 FLE is better than the 50mm. I consider it usable. I did not consider the 50mm very usable...at least not before stopped down a lot. So in that case, I bought the 50mm SL summicron, my only native L lens, as I use that focal length a lot. If you intend to focus primarily on the L mount system, the SL summicrons are worth the investment...the size and weight do not bother me, as I am used to bigger cameras, but their performance is incredible.