Leica M adapter L 18771 with Panasonic S1 anyone?

roma

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I think many, including me, set the expectations of SL2 with M lenses too high.

If I got it right there are “only” two things you get with SL2 compared to mounting M lenses on some other camera, but M itself.

1. SL2 will cook the DNG file per lens profile. Probably not as good as the M camera, but I would assume quite well. No other camera will do this.

2. Sensor design “should” help with wide angle M lenses. I have tried 24mm M Elmar with S1H and the corners were horrible, dark and blurry.

40 minutes ago, jdlaing said:

Number two is probably correct bit number one is dead wrong. ALL camera raw files are a processed file.

I think he was talking about corrections that are tailored to a specific M lens. Other brands do that for their own lenses, but not for M lenses.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, jdlaing said:

I wouldn’t expect a third party camera would correct for a lens that is not a native mount.

Neither would I, I only stated that SL2 compared to any other none M camera in fact “only” has two boxes that check, and Panasonic  S cameras don’t even have these two.
Never mind, maybe I am going off topic.

Edited by mirekti

Advertisement (gone after registration)

10 hours ago, Leicaiste said:

No it will not.

And it also will not when the adapter is mounted on the Leica SL or SL2.

Because there is no cam in the adapter that can detect the focusing movement on the M lens and transmit it to the camera. 

Thank you for the info and sorry, I have not used the SL (just heard someone said it will do that)

But I am sure the adapter did that (focus magnification) with Leica T which I used a few years back.

Regards

SN

Edited by just4fun

1 hour ago, just4fun said:

Thank you for the info and sorry, I have not used the SL (just heard someone said it will do that)

But I am sure the adapter did that (focus magnification) with Leica T which I used a few years back.

Regards

SN

I doubt it worked with Leica T, at least my Leica TL2 does not do that. Auto magnification works only with native (L-mount) lenses where there is communication between the lens and camera. L-mount cameras know what kind of M-lens has been mounted (using Leica's adapter), but do not know neither the aperture nor the focus information.

5 hours ago, jdlaing said:

I wouldn’t expect a third party camera would correct for a lens that is not a native mount.

Serious question, given I am trying to figure out my first lenses (on a budget) to use with a Panasonic S1R body  ..... would a Panasonic 24-105mm “kit lens” at 75mm likely perform better across the frame than (say) my M 75mm Summarit? I’d assume my M lens is “sharper” in some circumstances, mainly with an M body (being a prime lens and being pretty decent within the Leica range when you look at the MTFs), but will a Panny zoom likely perform better simply due to corrections and due to being native to the S1R system?

2 hours ago, Jon Warwick said:

Serious question, given I am trying to figure out my first lenses (on a budget) to use with a Panasonic S1R body  ..... would a Panasonic 24-105mm “kit lens” at 75mm likely perform better across the frame than (say) my M 75mm Summarit? I’d assume my M lens is “sharper” in some circumstances, mainly with an M body (being a prime lens and being pretty decent within the Leica range when you look at the MTFs), but will a Panny zoom likely perform better simply due to corrections and due to being native to the S1R system?

I have no idea but I suspect that would be correct.

6 hours ago, just4fun said:

Regards

SN

And it also do it with M Lenses with Panasonic S1 camera.

So magnificiant box appears on S1 EVF like Q or Q2 do it in manual focus

Just have a try by yourself. Peaple saying it doesn't work never tried.

I use a lot of M lenses on my S1 camera

Edited by bill33
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, bill33 said:

Thank you very much! That's what I was counting on! I think I will have to cancel order the Novolex Adapter and buy back the Leica M to L...

Cheers!

As there is - as I believe - no connection of the distance ring of an M lens to the adapter, it means, that the change of the picture switches the magnifier box on.

That means, that if one moves the switched on camera somewhat, it switches magnifier box on? 

I try to understand what happens.:) 

15 hours ago, Jon Warwick said:

It depends what you mean by "perform better." The 75 is long enough that it doesn't need software correction. It is faster and sharper, and provides better control over your focus point. It also has much better tactile feedback, which is critical to some (ask any musician).

The kit zoom gives you AF and more auto-exposure options.

Here are some general rules to help with your decision.

• M lenses that longer than 50mm don't need "software correction."
  • Any zoom lens will be less sharp than a good prime lens.
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, bill33 said:

I have just tried APO Summicron-M 1:2/75 with 18771 adapter on S1R. The magnification box does not appear automatically when moving focus ring. You have to trigger the magnification box manually.

3 minutes ago, SrMi said:

I have just tried APO Summicron-M 1:2/75 with 18771 adapter on S1R. The magnification box does not appear automatically when moving focus ring. You have to trigger the magnification box manually.

That's how the SL works too. I find that I rarely need the extra magnification on the SL, but it's a cool feature to have, if only to occasionally double-check what you saw at regular magnification.

1 hour ago, BernardC said:

That's how the SL works too. I find that I rarely need the extra magnification on the SL, but it's a cool feature to have, if only to occasionally double-check what you saw at regular magnification.

Yes. I was surprised to read that bill33's S1 has auto-magnification with M lenses and adapter.

Edited by SrMi
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I own a Panasonic S1R and Leica M to L adapter. I put a 50mm Summicrom lens on it and it looks terrible!! very soft edges! 

I saw a youtube video that says that because the Panasonic has 3 layes of glass over the sensor it can not perform well with M mounted lenses as with the Leica SL2 which has only 2 layes of glass on the sensor and works perfect on the SL

So they both have the same exact sensor but one can adapt to the M lenses and one not ! Its a fact ! I tried it .

• Like 1