? upgrade T35 to M35

Advertisement (gone after registration)

don't get me wrong, the 35 T 'lux is great (but massive)....I'm thinking long-term about moving to full frame , not for more pixels but for better isolation/depth of field....ultimately moving the CL for an M either 240 or 10. ....best way (for pocket) is to do it in stages, and am thinking this might be a safe first step....especially as I love using the Elmarit M 90 on the CL....opinions????........I guess next move would be to move the 11-23  for a decent 50 'from then do the body upgrade

as always, your sage advice /opinions are most welcome

The CL works fine with both my Summilux-M 35/1.4 v2 and FLE. I prefer the former for its size and character on the CL but it is significantly softer at fast apertures with more flare and less acutance than the FLE generally.

3 hours ago, wda said:

Don't rule out the 35mm Summicron,  one of the most popular and successful of lenses in that focal length. 

This is an intriguing option I’m considering too. A halfway house that keeps things small and simple.

Actually you can get more separation with the CL than with an M : with M lens you can never get close. You are limited to 0.7m only, which is very annoying. TL 35mm provides you 0.4m minimum focusing distance. 

• Like 3

Just add the tiny but mighty Elmarit-TL 18mm.

It makes the CL as small as X2, but you get lightning fast AF, an integrated EVF, a bigger LCD, etc. And you can always crop to 35mm with more pixel count (13.5MP) than X1. 

Edited by nicci78

15 hours ago, nicci78 said:

Just add the tiny but mighty Elmarit-TL 18mm.

Had one and sold it.....didnt like the way it rendered at all. (perhaps I got a dud).  the 11-23 at 18 is way better!.....also, it isn't moving me towards M lenses that I want to end up at!    thanks anyway nicci  

On 4/20/2019 at 1:30 AM, johntobias said:

don't get me wrong, the 35 T 'lux is great (but massive)....I'm thinking long-term about moving to full frame , not for more pixels but for better isolation/depth of field....ultimately moving the CL for an M either 240 or 10. ....best way (for pocket) is to do it in stages, and am thinking this might be a safe first step....especially as I love using the Elmarit M 90 on the CL....opinions????........I guess next move would be to move the 11-23  for a decent 50 'from then do the body upgrade

as always, your sage advice /opinions are most welcome

I don't know that I could call the T35 "massive" but it's a large lens for an APS-C camera. That saying, on the CL it's a normal lens, not a wide like it is on FF format. :)

Better (more) isolation, aka: DoF control ... yeah, you need a larger format because there aren't (m)any lenses for Leica L mount (or M mount) that are any faster. How much more DoF control you can get is directly related to both the format size and aperture... How close you can get is mostly uninteresting because you don't make people pictures from .4m away if you don't want funny-house distorted faces and bodies.

Moving to an M your 90 will become 'shorter' than it is with the CL, you'll need a 135 to get the same FoV. 90mm is a better FoV for rangefinder use, however; it is easier to use a 135 with an EVF IMO. 

Used as a normal on the CL, an M 35mm works fine. I have a lovely old Summilux 35mm v2 from 1972ish that produces beautiful results. Of course, you get manual focus, M and A exposure modes only, and you will have to learn how to focus with it. I recommend buying only the Leica M Adapter L to get the most out of whatever M 35mm (or other) lens you buy. If they're six-bit coded, the lens assignment is automatic; if they're not, you can choose to assign whatever profile you might want to use. And you get the use of the right dial for focus magnification assist, which is more convenient than using the buttons on the back for me. 

I'm kinda going the other way ... I find I'm using the CL more than my M-D nowadays. Although I have to say that that old 'Lux 35 on the M-D is just about magical, and I'm loathe to part with the M-D or that lens because of that. The Summicron-M 50mm is also a lovely lens on the CL, although I find it is a tad longer than I prefer a good bit of the time; I like my old Pentax-L 43mm f/1.9 Limited more for that reason. But that gets into splitting hairs and personal preferences...

Buy whatever makes you happy and gets the results you want ... it's the only truly sound advice I can offer. Only you can tell on either count what that is, and usually through trial and error.  :D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1