bags27

R 50 mm f/1.4 . Version 1 or 2?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 hours ago, alan.y said:

If you search for "sold" listings, you'll see that nobody is actually buying at those prices ($3500+).

Videographers got their hands on R lenses many years ago already. It's hardly a new thing.

I agree but the Summilux sellers don't seem open to reasonable offers - I tried with a number of sellers, gave up and bought a near mint, very late, ROM 50/2 Summicron-R instead for just over £300. 

Wilson

10 hours ago, wlaidlaw said:

I agree but the Summilux sellers don't seem open to reasonable offers - I tried with a number of sellers, gave up and bought a near mint, very late, ROM 50/2 Summicron-R instead for just over £300. 

Wilson

That's right. Those eBay sellers as a whole racket are holding out for the occasional buyer who desperately needs a copy and/or doesn't care about cost (or is simply fooled by the racket to believe those are reasonable prices), or perhaps one of the cine conversion companies who can make a profit above them.

Essentially there's another "reasonable" market for people who can wait for the increasingly rare copies to come up for auction or forum sales by actual users as opposed to cine-adapters and speculators. In this (shrinking) market the E60's prices have been pretty stable since 4 or 5 years ago, when I bought my first copy. Between $2200 and $3000 depending on condition.

Same with the R 35/1.4, which has a beautiful character and which I often miss, but whose eBay asking prices are likewise unreasonable.

So the idea that cine conversions have driven prices up is not untrue, but it's not the only factor and the effect is mediated.

Edited by alan.y