Does High Resolution mode work with manual FOCUS lens

TMKM

13 hours ago, TMKM said:

Have any one try HRM with manual focus lens.

According to manual the Sensor Shift and not Focus Shift in the HIGH RESOLUTION MODE. 

Thanks

Should work with any lens.

If I get time I'll try it tomorrow with my 50/2 apo. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I would love to find out if an image in high-res mode on S1 would be at least as detailed as a straight 47-megapixel image on S1R. 

I prefer to have a 24-megapixel camera for general use, but need to occasionally digitize a 35mm film frame on Leica Beoon copy stand using a 50mm M lens in higher than 24-megapixel resolution.

Any thoughts or experiences with this particular setup are appreciated.

On 4/20/2019 at 12:32 AM, Stuart Richardson said:

High resolution mode works fine. I have tried it with my 90mm APO Summicron and it made a big difference. Great technology!

Maybe a tough question to answer, but what’s your gut feel in terms of how much extra resolution is truly produced? ie, do you think the S1 in high res mode really approximates 96mp (versus its native 24mp)? Thanks for any thoughts.

Edited by Jon Warwick

Yes Jon, that's exactly what I'm trying to find out. I'm not saying that I need 96mp, but curious if 24mp high-res mode of S1 looks at least as good as 47mp of S1R in my very controlled environment of a camera on a copy stand.

I have not had a chance to test it compared to anything else, but in my very simple test, it looked great. I think that the resolution will depend most on the quality of the lens and the stability of the platform. I do not see any reason to doubt their claim that it is 96 megapixels, since it is literally shifting the sensor into 8 different positions (which would mean 192 possible megapixels of data) and then rendering that into one large 96mp file.

• Thanks 1

Stuart, a specific lens is key in my case. My copy stand only accepts Leica M lenses and is designed to work with 50mm focal length. I'll be using a Summilux-M at around F8.0

Sony A7R III gave me pretty bad corners on this copy stand (Beoon). I'm not really sure why at such a closed-down aperture. Just hoping high-res mode works well with non-native L-mount lenses.

Ok, I can check. I checked the 90mm APO Summicron at 5.6 vs the 120mm APO Macro on the S, and the S1 outrsesolved the S, but the S drew certain details better. I would post them, but I do not know how to get large files up here, and I do not have my own hosting anymore. I could try to put them on dropbox I guess. In the meantime, I can try my 50mm Summilux ASPH for you. What distance and subject are you thinking of photographing?

That's good enough. I just wanted to get an idea.

I'll be digitizing negative film frames (Kodak Tri-X 35mm), using a Leica Beoon copy stand that comes with extension tubes that convert my 50mm M lens into a macro, so your first findings are all I need. Thank you

Hi Peter,

I made a very basic test, really just for me...they are not comprehensive. I took two photos out of my studio window at some ships in the distance. The cameras were on the same studio stand. I used the 90mm APO Summicron on the S1 in high resolution mode, and used the Leica S006 with the 120mm APO Macro. I shot both at 5.6. They are approximately the same angle of view, but the S is a bit longer. I used self timer for the S and the regular 2s delay for the S1.

In processing the files, I adjusted the exposures and white balances slightly between the cameras to get them to be closer together. I am using the embedded profile for the S and the Camera Standard profile for the S1. I set sharping to 0 on both, and no noise reduction other than 5 for Color Noise for both, no lens corrections on either camera. I am not sure if you can see these, but here you go.

Leica S006

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ccpwci9nufqc865/L1000087-Enhanced.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vuzoosmvpf4bsqu/L1000087-Enhanced-100crop.jpg?dl=0

Panasonic S1

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yavwtsgvunlw09q/P1000237-Enhanced.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fbdswf190jm0mhh/P1000237-Enhanced-100crop.jpg?dl=0

In looking at it carefully, the S006 has greater per pixel sharpness, and would likely match the S1 very well if (and perhaps exceed it) if sized up to the same size, but I am not sure how much of that is the lens, and how much the body. What is clear, however, is that the S1 will generate a very good file. As always, the S006 amazes me with what it can do with a now 10 year old sensor. I am not sure if it is CCD's in general, or something specific to the S, but I have not seen a sensor with per pixel sharpness that high...that translates into exceptional enlargeability.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Best to download these files and look at them, as the dropbox web interface resizes them, even when it says 100%...

I should also say that in both cases I focused on the ship that says Slysavarnafélagið Landsbjörg, and the softness of the picture could be from the M lens...who knows, perhaps the 90mm summicron is softer on the S1, but I think it is probably more from the interpolation or movement in the sensor etc.

Edited by Stuart Richardson

8 minutes ago, Stuart Richardson said:

...As always, the S006 amazes me with what it can do with a now 10 year old sensor. I am not sure if it is CCD's in general, or something specific to the S, but I have not seen a sensor with per pixel sharpness that high...that translates into exceptional enlargeability.

+1. I don't have the S007, but I love the S006 at low ISO. There is something special with the combination of of the S006 sensor, the S-optics and 16 bit files...

Edited by helged
  • Like 2

Many thanks for sharing these, Stuart. To my eyes both files look very nice. I am actually amazed by how good the high resolution Panasonic shot is, of course the S file is quite familiar and like you and Helge, I love my CCD. But I'm actually quite astonished as far as the Panasonic is concerned because of the high acuity and nice contrast without producing any discernible artefacts. Looks like the Panasonic S series is going to be a really nice escape route for when my S2-P ever gives up and I won't be able to afford an S3 👏👏👏

• Like 1

Yes, I was quite impressed too. There are certain artifacts in the waves if you look closely, and of course if people are moving or birds are in the frame etc, things can go a bit awry, but overall the image quality is very good. I did use the enhance details command in lightroom, so that may have helped both images as well. So far I have been extremely impressed by the camera. It is still not like shooting the S, but as a complement it is quite convincing.

• Like 1

Many thanks for posting. It was very helpful.

From my personal perspective .... I downloaded the files first, then resized to identical large print sizes, then judged on screen what i preferred, and then looked to see if it was S006 or S1 .... and i preferred the S1.

I agree that pixel sharpness on the S has always been highly impressive, but i also think that SL Summicron primes can give oodles of acuity too, typically beyond an M lens.

If the above shot was done again with an S1R in high res mode and with a 90mm SL Summicron prime, I'd expect that it might do extraordinarily well vs. the existing S cameras.

Edited by Jon Warwick