Summicron-SL 35mm, Q2 or CL street kit?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have been waiting a long time for the Summicron SL 35mm to be available, but now it is here I am not sure it is such a good buy. For almost the same amount of money I could get the Q2, switch it to 35mm frame lines, get 30mp and have a second state-of-the-art camera attached to the lens, wi a couple of additional focal length options. It would allow keeping the zoom or my SL75mm on the SL and being able to swap easily between them on the fly (for travel and street photography mostly). Or, I could save some weight and $1000 and get the CL with 23mm street kit, still have 24mp and 35mm equivalent focal length, and have even greater flexibility of second camera & lens combo.

Anyone made a similar decision? Thoughts?

Gary

I had exactly the same thought process as you. I was on the list for the 35, then the Q2 came out (I do not have the original) and I thought I would go that way.

So I got off the wait list for the 35 and got the Q2. No regrets from my side! The Q2 is wonderful and it brings something different to the table in terms of usability.

For the SL I will wait for wider lenses which I tend to prefer. I currrently use the 16-35, which I find excellent, but I dont think that the SL is a street camera with either the 16-35 or 35 SL anyways ..

My recent thoughts about the Q2 versus L 35/2.

I don’t consider the CL to be in the same league. 

The SL is not to big for street photography, but the L lenses certainly are. Not to mention the lens hoods.

An SL with a M 35/2 or 1,4 is not much bigger than a M with the same lens.

I am saving for the SL2 😉.

I decided to pick up a second M10 rather than add the 35 APO to my 16-35 and 75 SL lenses.....I use the SL mainly for landscape and urbanscapes.  Having said this, I've had no problem using the SL with either the zoom or 75 for general street photography. The SL with 75SL is a fantastic combo for street portraits, I don't shoot the M's with lenses greater than 50mm. Too slow to focus.....also, I'm more a 28mm shooter for street, and the 28 APO SL I'm certain will be a reference standard lens....so I passed on the 35 APO for now

Edited by jplomley

Just went thru same debate trying to decide between Q2 or the 35 f2. Ultimately chose the SL Summicron as I already have the M10 and CL bodies...did not need a 3rd body that has a fixed lens. The CL is a great camera and allows me to shoot my older R lenses, M lenses and TL/SL lenses...the best choice if you have a lot of lenses to choose from. I use the CL + 60mm R Macro all the time, and the CL + 23mm is an amazing camera. Adding the 35mm SL lens made the most sense for my use as I plan on adding the SL2 when it becomes available. The Q2 is a great camera (I owned the original Q and loved it)...but a fixed lens body that's roughly the same size if not bigger than my CL just made no sense for me. The CL is so versatile, that you forget about the smaller sensor.

Per request, CL + SL 35mm f2.0

/applications/core/interface/js/spacer.png">

/applications/core/interface/js/spacer.png">
11 hours ago, Craggs 101 said:

Why don’t you consider the CL to be in the same league? Still 24mp. Still Leica. Does the APS-C sensor make it significantly poorer IQ?

I didn’t like the viewfinder compared to the Q and SL.

Neither is perfect, but imo the CL should be better being the latest released. 

39 minutes ago, Leicaiste said:

I didn’t like the viewfinder compared to the Q and SL.

Neither is perfect, but imo the CL should be better being the latest released. 

Ive never had any problems with the EVF in the CL...and dont get the "not in the same league" argument. Ive owned the Q, and have the CL...the versatility of the CL way more than makes up for the very slight edge the Q has in IQ. The CL is outstanding + you add the ability to use multiple lenses (M, TL, SL and R) and you have a killer system. The CL + 23mm is a beautiful combo for street photography. Very high IQ and small and fast...there is absolutely nothing not to like about the CL. Ive owned all of the above (SL, Q, CL and M) and currently shooting with the CL and M10.

12 hours ago, digitalfx said:

Per request, CL + SL 35mm f2.0

That does like a sweet combo. But it doesn’t help my ‘either/or’ quandary, or my credit card, when you show me a ‘both’ answer... 😂

But thanks; good to read your ringing endorsement of the CL after enjoying it in the store but reading mixed reviews online.

5 hours ago, Craggs 101 said:

good to read your ringing endorsement of the CL after enjoying it in the store but reading mixed reviews online.

which mixed reviews are you referring to?

You have to put Leica reviews into perspective by looking at the writers history of reviewing Leica products. Many of the reviewers think a $5000 camera should be 5X better than a $1000 camera, so their reviews reflect this viewpoint. Ultimately the only reviewer that matters is you.

I think to make a decision here is not only based on IQ but also on user interface. I own and like a CL, I did however have a lot of fun when testing a Q2. The f-stop ring, the simplcity of one ( relativly fast) focla length but with resolution to crop, the size and handling was like using a M with AF.

The CL for sure the more flexible camera and also very good IQ, but the user interface is a bit different.

The SL with a 35SL lens for sure will deliver the best image quality.

So you want a relativly compact camera with interchnagable lenses, do you want a fix focal length camera with analog user interface or do you want a 35mm lens for your mirrorless-SL-system.