Looking for a Flash...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Sorry my first post here is a bit of a moan!  So let me start by saying I got my Q2 on Monday having been a long-time Olympus user and overall I am delighted with it.

But I also got the SF40 today, which knowing it's a Nissin with slightly different firmware and a red dot on it, does stick in the craw somewhat. I own the Nissin i40 (Olympus version) already, but of course that won't do TTL on the Q2.

But here's my gripe:  Not only is the SF40 ludicrously overpriced, they have actually made it worse than a standard i40! The exposure adjustment dial is very, very loose - i.e. too easily turned by mistake - and nothing like it is on the i40.  Moreover, something really disappointing: if you change the Q2 zoom (i.e. crop) it doesn't change the zoom on the SF40.  And worse, you cannot change the zoom on the SF40 either, unless you put it in manual mode... which means I might as well have just stuck with the i40.  I mean what is the point of having a zoom button at all if you are not going to implement it properly.  It should pass the focal length info to the flash and adjust the flash.  (And also should show the zoomed image in the EVF, imo - this is NOT a rangefinder!)

I love the build quality of the Q2 and optically its excellent. It's a beautiful thing. But the firmware generally - and not just in terms of the flash control - is frankly pretty poor. The Olympus E-M1 and E-M1 II are just so much more "sorted" than this. I know we are on firmware 1.1, but even so, there's much which is missing or just not well implemented.

Edited by Chippy_boy