Looking for a Flash...

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here is an image I shot of my daughter recently.    Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!  

The needs of the Q2 are no different than for the Q.  If you want fool proof TTL flash, don't stint. I almost did, but folks on this site saved me. Spend the dough and buy the overpriced but excellent and idiot-proof (at least to my level of idiocy) SF 40. 

If you need TTL, you have to buy a Leica flash. But the results with TTL are no better than with an old automatic flash. I bought a Metz 36 C-2 on ebay for 15 Euro. Works perfectly. The TTL solution at Leica is not well implemented, but that's nothing new. I like to photograph with Aperture Control and Auto ISO. As soon as a Leica TTL flash is mounted, Auto-ISO no longer works and the Q(2) automatically selects only ISO 100. This is very unfortunate, because less of the ambient light influe

13 hours ago, iQ2 said:

What RF transmitter do you use? I have the Canon RF transmitter. It does not work on the Leica. I assume you are also using receivers of the same brand as your transmitter under each flash. 

I have both Cactus V2 and Cactus V5 triggers. Simple, manual things. Work great with every camera I've used them with. 

11 hours ago, maxtor said:

Nikon SB 300 works well with LQ2 (only manual whether TTL) ? What transmitter ? 

What's LQ2? My Nikon flash is an SB-30. 

2 hours ago, ramarren said:

I have both Cactus V2 and Cactus V5 triggers. Simple, manual things. Work great with every camera I've used them with. 

What's LQ2? My Nikon flash is an SB-30. 

OK, thanks, Nikon SB-30 (I didn't know this flash earlier, I've Nikon SB-300). LQ2 this is my abbreviation of Leica Q2 :) 

Ah. :) 

The SB-30 has both manual and built-in auto flash modes, and Nikon TTL capabilities. It works well with all my cameras using the remote triggers in both manual and built-in auto modes; TTL only works for compatible Nikon cameras. It cannot be fitted directly to the CL because of a mechanical clearance problem with the hot shoe and the viewfinder bulge. I don't have a Q2 so I cannot say whether it is compatible, but since the Q2 top is flat there should not be any problems. 

I suspect the same would be true of the SB-300, but of course I've never seen one of those or tried to fit one to a camera. 

The SB-30 is particularly useful to me because it has a built in IR flash cover shield which blocks the flash in visible light but allows it to trigger other flashes with slave flash sensors (like my Paterson Flash Panel units). It also has a small diffuser built in which allows it to cover a 28mm lens on FF field of view pretty nicely for casual shooting.

Edited by ramarren
1 hour ago, ramarren said:

Ah. :) 

The SB-30 has both manual and built-in auto flash modes, and Nikon TTL capabilities. It works well with all my cameras using the remote triggers in both manual and built-in auto modes; TTL only works for compatible Nikon cameras. It cannot be fitted directly to the CL because of a mechanical clearance problem with the hot shoe and the viewfinder bulge. I don't have a Q2 so I cannot say whether it is compatible, but since the Q2 top is flat there should not be any problems. 

I suspect the same would be true of the SB-300, but of course I've never seen one of those or tried to fit one to a camera. 

The SB-30 is particularly useful to me because it has a built in IR flash cover shield which blocks the flash in visible light but allows it to trigger other flashes with slave flash sensors (like my Paterson Flash Panel units). It also has a small diffuser built in which allows it to cover a 28mm lens on FF field of view pretty nicely for casual shooting.

Hi,

Thank you for help and excellent explanation. I've SF-40 for Q2 then I probably will not try Q2 with SB-300 or my SB-910.

For my Q2 I use a re-branded Godox flash, just in manual mode though. - I like that it has a li-ION battery which lasts

PIXAPRO® Li-ION350II Speedlite with Rechargeable Battery, Built-In 2.4GHz Receiver & High-Speed Sync

• 4 months later...

I bought a Bargain condition Sf-40 from KEH that works really well.  But like everyone said, the TTL is clunky at best, so I find myself using the manual setting on the SF40 and dialing it way back.  In situations that I would usually use a flash in an SLR, I find myself using the SF40 and Leica Q about 50% of the time.  The other 50% I just forego the flash and just use the Q . with a high ISO. I like the way the Q renders "in the dark" more than I like the way the Q+SF40 will render the scene.

• 4 weeks later...

Godox TT350 N flash, is a small 2xAA battery unit more similar in size to a Leica flash. (SF 40) . I had  a trigger on my camera hotshoe. It is small and very usefull. It suits for everday usage

I doesn't support TTL on leica. Adjust manuel

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/28/2019 at 7:25 PM, T.J. said:

Has anyone tried a flash unit with their Q2?  If using one, any recommendations?  Or simply, who needs a flash?

I have used my (long-time) Nikon SB-800 Speedlight with my Q2 in A or M mode (but not TTL) either on camera or off camera with a Pro|Master transmitter/receiver pair. Works great!

On 11/2/2019 at 1:17 PM, gdclarkMiami said:

Don't laugh, but I am using the FlashQ Q20II which is USD $70. I have been happy with the results so far as I mainly use for fill purposes. But having a cheap remote triggering flash that is small and easy to pack with my kit has been great. 

Here is an image I shot of my daughter recently. 

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, elopezso said:

What are your settings on the flash, Leica Guy?

I pretty much use it on TTL unless I’m just doing everything manual. I shot a party a few days ago on TTL and it worked very well. Camera was 1/125, f/1.7, ISO Auto as I remember. I’m traveling right now and cannot get to LR to see exactly. TTL on the SF-40 for sure. 

I do get it, but I have to ask why are we spending $5000 for a camera and then trying to get the best and consistent TTL results from a non-Leica on camera flash unit?  Maybe because we all say that light is light and why pay anymore for the same light; I don't know.

I must admit that my reluctance in purchasing the SF-40 has always been knowing that it was just a rewrapped Nissin flash unit with a jacked up price due solely to the significance of the red dot association.  I have the corresponding Nissin unit that is designed for Fuji and I have used it in the manual mode on my Q and M262.  The Fuji EF-20 affords a low profile, is good for very minor fill,  and will work through the shutter speed range but lacks any directional capabilities.  Of course any unit works fine after I dial it in and remember not to change my distance.  

I was wondering if anyone has used a Panasonic or Olympus designed flash unit in TTL mode with the Q?

Edited by ADrake0506
corrections and additional explanations
On 5/1/2019 at 7:28 AM, Kaiden said:

I use Wireless Profoto Lighting (B10's, B1X's, and A1 Off Camera Of Course) with the Standard Air Remote.  Works Amazing! 

I have a profoto A1X for Sony. Are you saying that the A1 will work in auto mode on camera?  Also, will the A1 work off camera with the Profoto hot shoe remote even if it’s not for a Leica??

On 5/1/2019 at 8:28 AM, Kaiden said:

I use Wireless Profoto Lighting (B10's, B1X's, and A1 Off Camera Of Course) with the Standard Air Remote.  Works Amazing! 

Does it support HSS on the B10?

Regards,
Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography or on Instagram at www.instagram.com/budjamesphoto.