A second CL body, or wait for a "CL-2"?

yst

Advertisement (gone after registration)

To minimize the changing of lenses, thinking of a "second CL body"... although from reading many other reviews and user comments, the CL could have some improvements...    Thinking how long before Leica may come out with a new "CL-2" ... (somewhat like the "Q2" now replaced the "Q") ?   

I bought a TL2 body as backup/alternative body to my CL for trip to India. I'm not a big fan of buying a second identical body 'just in case' but a compatible but different body assuage any residual fears of gear failure and provides a different shooting experience. I found I used the CL in the daytime and the TL2 after dark in the street - somehow I found it more discreet and easier to frame quickly (on the rear screen). 

Of course there will be a CL2, in a couple of years time - there is always a better camera coming along. But the CL and TL2 are here now, if you want a second body now. 

Edited by LocalHero1953

I got two CL from the very beginning. Identical configuration, so I can pick one or the other without having to think. Indeed, it helps a lot while traveling. Last trip, I had the 23mm on one and the 60mm on the other. It covered 95% of my pictures during that trip (India).

When the CL2 will come, I’ll probably upgrade both bodies.

Alain

Edited by alainD

12 minutes ago, LocalHero1953 said:

I bought a TL2 body as backup/alternative body to my CL for trip to India. I'm not a big fan of buying a second identical body 'just in case' but a compatible but different body assuage any residual fears of gear failure and provides a different shooting experience. I found I used the CL in the daytime and the TL2 after dark in the street - somehow I found it more discreet and easier to frame quickly (on the rear screen). 

Of course there will be a CL2, in a couple of years time - there is always a better camera coming along. But the CL and TL2 are here now, if you want a second body now. 

Same here though I find I use the CL at night and TL2 in the day

Also TL2 and 18 fits in a pocket for when I don't have my 'man bag' and don't want 'jewellery' on show

Currently use 18-56, 23 and 35 on CL and 11-23 and 18 on TL2 predominantly 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

24 minutes ago, FrozenInTime said:

The TL2 is such an elegant camera and should be in line for an refresh before the CL.

The question remains - can the sympathetically enclose an EVF or will they kill the line.

An EVF version would be near direct competitor to the CL line. I cannot see that being economic or happening.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wda said:

An EVF version would be near direct competitor to the CL line. I cannot see that being economic or happening.

I don’t know - the TL3 with EVF should be at a premium  for the style and build quality vs CL ... as well as USB-C charging and internal memory.

Ergonomics of the CL are almost perfect (to me) so i don't expect significant improvements there. The sensor will be less noisy though and perhaps the EVF will be less jerky in low light. I could well keep the CL and get a CL2 for low light then. Just a guess.

Can the  "Leica Visoflex (Typ 020) Electronic Viewfinder"

be easily used on the Leica CL body as well ?  (for low angle viewing purpose...)

Edited by yst

9 minutes ago, yst said:

Can the  "Leica Visoflex (Typ 020) Electronic Viewfinder"

be easily used on the Leica CL body as well ?  (for low angle viewing purpose...)

The digital CL has a built-in EVF and cannot use accessory ones contrary to T/TL/TL2 cameras. 

5 hours ago, lct said:

The sensor will be less noisy though and perhaps the EVF will be less jerky in low light.

Yes, nothing else is required. I hope it stays with 24MP.

Regarding a 2nd body, I used two MP in analog times for different film types (Scala/Velvia). Happy, I don't need to carry around two cameras anymore. But if I had to, I would choose two identical bodies as well.