IBIS S1 M lens

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Newbie question!

I enjoyed using the SL with 35/1.4 Summilux for available light portraits.  I stopped using the 24-90 because of poor low light performance and it’s sheer weight.  So it became a manual focus camera.

Since having the the SL body stolen, I’m reluctant to replace it with the imminent SL2 release.  But the S1 has caught my attention.  The LUMIX would probably work even better for the purposes I used the SL body.  It’s considerably cheaper than the SL, has improved low light, IBIS and an even better EVF.

My question, is whether this assumption about the S1 utility for manual m-lenses is correct.  And, also whether the S1’s IBIS will work with adapted m-lenses.

I’m sure that it varies by lens, but I assume that M lenses lose 5-10% at each edge (on the S1R). Whether that matters, depends on what you are photographing and whether you are prepared to carry a bigger lens. 

I also thought first that it is no problem, by chance my own lenses behave quite well. But even Jono has described that some M lenses have weak corners and smearing on Lumix S (probably because of the thick sensor cover glass). I take that more serious than diglloyd.

Edited by caissa

The M lens performance seems to follow the pattern seen with other non-Leica sensors not specifically designed for M lenses.

Wide lenses suffer from edge smearing which is worst at distance and large apertures, with the older designs being the worst offenders and the newest the least problematic. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 4/19/2019 at 5:21 PM, thighslapper said:

The M lens performance seems to follow the pattern seen with other non-Leica sensors not specifically designed for M lenses.

Wide lenses suffer from edge smearing which is worst at distance and large apertures, with the older designs being the worst offenders and the newest the least problematic. 

This is my early experience as well. Without extensive tests the 35, 50, 75, 90 all look fine. The 18 Super-Elmar-M looks like it will be pretty much useless for my work (primarily landscape). 24 less so.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 5 months later...
Am 21.4.2019 um 10:52 schrieb JeffWright:

This is my early experience as well. Without extensive tests the 35, 50, 75, 90 all look fine. The 18 Super-Elmar-M looks like it will be pretty much useless for my work (primarily landscape). 24 less so.

Old post I know, but I saw it today.

I see no differenct with the Super Elmar 18 on the S1 compared to M9 or M240. This lens has no stellar edge performance. When I compare current images of the S1+18mm with my older Leica images + 18mm then there is no difference that matters to me.  (primarily landscape).

• 4 weeks later...

Am 19.10.2019 um 12:31 schrieb Chaemono:

What I meant is, if one mounts the 55 Otus, for example, it doesn’t prompt one to set the focal length. It must recognize it automatically via the Novoflex adapter.

My S1R always asks for the focal length if I attach a Novoflex adapter for M lenses (Leica, Zeiss ZM) or for Nikon F lenses  (the Otus 28, 55, 85mm). I have then set the camera to MF and M mode.

For those not familiar with the S1/S1R: The last focal length used is preset. You have have to confirm or change the value. The latter is done by pressing the arrow buttons. You can also move forward and select a common value (28, 35, 50). So really no big deal.

Am 20.4.2019 um 00:21 schrieb thighslapper:

I made the same experience. The thicker filter stack of most other brands definitely have a detrimental effect on IQ. Therefore M lenses seem to perform better on Leica M and maybe Nikon Z.

Closing the apperture eliminates the periphal rays (with steep angles on the sensor). This will also diminish many of the aberrations (especially CA) btw. At infinity the rear element is closest to the sensor, producing steep angles. Newer designs avoid steep angles and rear elements very close to the sensor (Sigma lenses have a built-in adapter/spacer tube and a gerneric lens design for all types of cameras 🙂 ).

It seems to be better to use new desing lenses anyway: Less aberrations, better sharpness and higher contrast. Bokeh is not always nicer though, e.g. spherical aberrations of old lenses produce a smooth, soft bokeh, whereas aspherical elements of modern designs add onion rings. So, some of the old  Leica wide angle primes are actually not really better on an M than on any other camera: Corners and edges are  just soft wide open, the differences in the bodies do not really matter.  Leica M lenses have to make compromises for small size and low weight. In addition, new designs profit from modern ray tracing calculations, which makes a real difference. If you are looking for the highest optical performance, buy SL lenses. If you are in for high performance in a small package, better take (newer) M lenses.