The general theory of relativity and a good bicycle

stuny

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3d Avenue at 47th Street

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 10

Hello Pico,

I don't think that he is so happy because he is riding his bicycle in New York City. Most likely this is a photo of him riding in Princeton, N.J. His adopted village. Where riding bicycles without headlights or/& reflectors is common.

By the way Stuart: Nice photo.

Best Regards,

Michael

Edited by Michael Geschlecht

1 hour ago, Michael Geschlecht said:

Hello Steve,

Aren't there 3 New York's in England?

Best Regards,

Michael

The "New" are in the US, since they were naming  new cities with European names or areas based also on who's land it was (Penn's forest for Pennsylvania") -- when New York was Dutch it was "New Amsterdam".  Then we have "New" Jersey and "New" Hampshire, etc. Sometimes they kept the same name, Boston and Richmond for example, but I doubt there is a "new" york elsewhere in Britain. And in New England if the name doesn't fit that model, it is typically the name of an Indian tribe in the area.The English settlers also liked to think of the New World as the New Promised land, so we get Canaan and New Canaan, and Goshen, and plenty of places like that.

1 hour ago, sblitz said:

The "New" are in the US, since they were naming  new cities with European names or areas based also on who's land it was (Penn's forest for Pennsylvania") -- when New York was Dutch it was "New Amsterdam".  Then we have "New" Jersey and "New" Hampshire, etc. Sometimes they kept the same name, Boston and Richmond for example, but I doubt there is a "new" york elsewhere in Britain. And in New England if the name doesn't fit that model, it is typically the name of an Indian tribe in the area.The English settlers also liked to think of the New World as the New Promised land, so we get Canaan and New Canaan, and Goshen, and plenty of places like that.

Hello Steve,

But what about the "New York" in Lincolnshire  England? And the "New York" in North Yorkshire England?  And, of course, the "New York" in Tyne and Wear England?

Best Regards,

Michael

• Thanks 1

I sit corrected, I thought there was only one York in England and that was it .... What I wrote about naming in the US still stands, why the Duke of York needed all these new towns named after his family is something I will for the English historians to explain.

9 hours ago, Michael Geschlecht said:

Hello Steve,

But what about the "New York" in Lincolnshire  England? And the "New York" in North Yorkshire England?  And, of course, the "New York" in Tyne and Wear England?

Best Regards,

Michael

Hi Michael,

According to my (very detailed) road atlas there are two York in UK, and three New York.

All the New York appear to be small villages :)

Edited by Graham (G4FUJ)
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, sblitz said:

I sit corrected, I thought there was only one York in England and that was it .... What I wrote about naming in the US still stands, why the Duke of York needed all these new towns named after his family is something I will for the English historians to explain.

Hello Steve,

I think that naming all of these places after his family might have had something to do with "Brand Recognition". There are even some people today who still name things associated with them with their family name.

Best Regards,

Michael

Edited by Michael Geschlecht