Tripod and a Q do ever use one ?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

So over the years I have made it a point to use a tripod for many of my landscape projects.  Using a Pentax k1 and prime lens I could see the difference in image quality.  Having  this  nice large sensor on the Q2 I wonder if any of you have or would consider using a tripod. 

Cheers

If you want to maximize the detail from the 47MP sensor, then a tripod is required. If not, you will still get great results while handholding, but do use image stabilization. BTW, it is usually recommended that IS be disabled for tripod shooting. 

6 hours ago, sturkel said:

I agree turn off the  IS  with the tripod.  Just wondering how many are actually using a tripod vs hand held 

I seldom use a tripod with my Q for my range of subjects. Possibly for interiors of large buildings. 

I have used my Q on a tripod for any long exposures and always turn off OIS. I don't see anything unusual about it. I do the same with a Canon 5D.

Also, to minimise camera shake I usually turn on the Self Timer to 2 secs delay and after a recent firmware update that now stays on. You used to have to switch it for every shot!

I've not found the Leica Q phone app reliable. Here's an example of a tripod shot (20 secs):

• Like 12

One of my user profiles is named "tripod".   It turns off IS, sets the ISO to a fixed value, end sets the viewfinder to auto mode instead of my normal EVF-EXT mode.  A setting that is not saved, but often used when the camera is on the tripod, is 2-second self timer mode.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just did this past weekend...evidence below.  I dont feel the need in most situations, but if I want a longish exposure and a 28mm, on the tripod it goes. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, marchyman said:

One of my user profiles is named "tripod".   It turns off IS, sets the ISO to a fixed value, end sets the viewfinder to auto mode instead of my normal EVF-EXT mode.  A setting that is not saved, but often used when the camera is on the tripod, is 2-second self timer mode.

That is so keen, like the idea.  Very useful.

I rarely use my tripods with the Q.  OIS is very effective in its auto function.  It only is on when needed.

BUT -- I love to shoot with a very slow shutter and a deep ND (Neutral Density) filter to give me creamy motion effect for movement.

On 4/17/2019 at 7:13 AM, malbooth said:

I have used my Q on a tripod for any long exposures and always turn off OIS. I don't see anything unusual about it. I do the same with a Canon 5D.

Also, to minimise camera shake I usually turn on the Self Timer to 2 secs delay and after a recent firmware update that now stays on. You used to have to switch it for every shot!

I've not found the Leica Q phone app reliable. Here's an example of a tripod shot (20 secs):

Nice Bergen late evening shot. Been there and loved it. I use tripod a lot for such photos. 

• Like 1