Leica Q2 or rx1r2?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Has anyone tried both and decided one over the other?

ive owned leica q1 and rx1r at different times, and from memory, the leica q was much more convenient to use hence i pre ordered it. i think i like 35mm more usually, but the leica q2 crop should cover that minus the 28mm bokeh compression. The small size, fast af-c, and great sensor of the rx1rii is what makes me ponder.

Just wondering if anyone has though about these 2 and went with which.

1. I am a proud  owner of both. At the moment i am not able to fairly  compare behause Leica does not deliver the Handgrip and the Thumbsup. The Sony is a small computer and you have to learn how to use. The Q2 is a Leica camera where  you can easily change what a photographer hast to change at the Camera. Very easy to get manual focus instead af. Aperture, time, iso all very easy and fast to change. The only advantage of the Sony imho is the tilt screen. 
  2. At the Moment i can Not Tell which one i keep and which one mitwill sale, but i am a Leica Fan.😇😇😇😇

I've owned an RX1r and an RX1r Mk II and I have a Q2 on order.  The Sony's are capable of fantastic image quality.  The RX1r II has improved AF and the pop-up EVF, which isn't ideal but certainly better than no viewfinder.  However, the deal breaker for me had more to do with the Sony menu system. The appeal of the Q/Q2 and Leica in general is the menu simplicity and responsiveness. The Q2 will be my first Q but I am a long-time M shooter (film and digital) and have owned an X1, which was more a work in progress for Leica but I appreciated the image quality. The Q2 seems quite refined.

If you are really wedded to a 35mm perspective then the choice is probably easy.  The only thing I expect to miss with the Q2 is the non-articulating LCD screen.  My aging back finds it a lot easier to get down to ground level with the Sony.

• Like 1

I use both.

The Leica Q2 edges it for good light photography with its dreamy Leica quality images and far superior handling (proper EVF and battery life).

But, the Sony can do pretty much everything in a FAR smaller package.

I got the Q2 thinking it would replace my RX1RII, with a useful upgrade for my available light photography.  But, I’m finding a need to hang on to the Sony.

The low light performance of the Q2 is a disappointment (I’m now considering the S1)...and I particularly miss the ability to drop the RX1RII in my Barbour coat pocket.

I don’t notice a huge benefit to the Q2 AF.  In fact, I miss the Eye AF on the Sony.  Yes, the menu system is cumbersome.  But, once learned it’s not an issue.

if I hadn’t had my SL stolen, I would still be a happy SL and RX1RII owner (and £4K to the good).

• Like 3

I had a Q, bought the rx1r2, sold the Q. then bought the Q2 recently and thinking it will replace the sony, sadly i couldnt let the sony go, just love how small the sony is. After all of that, I sold the Q2 then replaced it with the QP. And live happy with the sony and QP lol

I have the Q2 and have owned the RX1R2.

AF speed can not even be compared. The RX1R2 hunts, whereas the Q2 locks on instantaneously.  Manually focusing is a joke on the Sony and a joy on the Leica.

Some reviewers have complained about the buffer speed of the Q2, but clearly they haven't tested the RX1R2 because that camera is very slow operationally. Even reviewing the images on the LCD is slow and frustrating.

I think the RX1R2 is geared towards a more deliberate style of photography like landscapes or architecture. The Q2 is a lot more snappier making it a much better camera for street and documentary.

Lastly, don't forget the usefulness of OIS which can negate the slim advantage of the Sony sensor in dark situations.

I agree on all Mr. Q has just said, maybe except I can say that I have often used the Q (and will use the Q2) for landscape photography (even more so with those additional pixels) when hiking.

The decisive things for me when I compared the Sony and the Q in the store at that time was that I didn't like the slower AF of the Sony and that I covered half of those 37 buttons (too many, too complicated) with my hand when taking a picture. And then there was this lens with a maximum aperture of "only" 2.0... And I am not a fan of breakable, shattery mechanism like the pop-up-viewfinder or the tiltable screen whose mechanics are very likely to wear out sooner or later.

I first had the Sony in my hands and played around a bit in the store. As soon as I had the Leica in my hands seconds later, I was so pleased by its simplicitiy and the quality that you could feel just by grabbing it, that even with the higher price I knew I would have always regretted not having bought the Leica if I stayed with the RX1II.

The last thing for me was that I had a few bad experiences with the Sony customer service (long waiting times in automatized phone supports, no reactions or not very helpful reactions to e-mails I have written about products that were not in their assortment any more - which happens quite fast with Sony).
With Leica that experience is - at least for me who lives in a city with a Leica store - a completely different story. You always deal with real persons who have always given their best to help me. I once brought a Summilix 50mm to the store and they had to send it in to take care of it. The shop assistant offered me an M9 with 3 batteries and a 50mm Lens (I think it was a Summicron) as a replacement for the time I had to wait for my Summilux to come back - for free.

Edited by Macberg
  • Thanks 1

Owned both, I think the RX1RII wins on image quality (although rendering is a personal choice) and size. Everything else favours the Q2 - AF, MF, handling/feel, battery life, EVF.

If you need/prefer the smaller size or 35mm length (more like 33mm in reality) then go for the RX1RII otherwise go for the Q2 assuming you can find one.

I've just returned from Japan and the Q2 was a delight to use.

I can’t wait to get the Q2 and move on from the Sony RX1RII.  While I agree the image quality is great, the reasons to go Leica Q2 are clear for me.

Sony Cons

- Super slow start up... I have missed some many awesome shots waiting on my Sony to boot up or turn on.

- Sony menu... way too many pages and unexpected  system behavior... ie set lowest shutter speed and it still attempts a shot below the desired speed.

- Not one firmware update from Sony for RX1RII 

Leica Pros

- DNG file format

- simple layout - feels like camera and not PC

- manual focusing usability 

- MP difference no longer a factor

- B&W renderings from Q/Q2 are awesome

Had Q for 3wks before going to Sony and I really miss the overall handling and colors on the Leica.

Edited by DexL
Missing point

18 hours ago, Macberg said:

I agree on all Mr. Q has just said, maybe except I can say that I have often used the Q (and will use the Q2) for landscape photography (even more so with those additional pixels) when hiking.

I agree with all of your points as well.  Just to clear things up... I meant to say that the Q/Q2 is capable of shooting both slow (landscapes) or fast (street).

• Like 1

On 4/21/2019 at 7:39 AM, markgc said:

Asharfi, curious why you sold the q2 in favor of qp. I go back and forth between these two myself, primarily out of concern for the ,rage file sizes. 

Mainly because of the file size (since i'm keeping the rx1r2), and i like the jpeg of the original Q more, not that the Q2 is worse or anything, but i shoot jpeg most of the time.

I sold my RX1R II - quickly - after I got my Q. The Sony isn't a camera that I would ever use again. The battery life was comically terrible, and using the camera didn't inspire me to make images in the slightest bit. I would never consider it again now that I shoot a QP and an M10. That's just my two cents. 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

IMHO, it all depends on whether you can live at 28mm or at 35mm. (And please don't get me started with cropping.)

I owned the Q twice and loved everything about the camera ... except the FoV. The Q2 sounds better than the Q in many regards, though I am not fan of big files. If the Q were 35mm, I'd still own it (or the new Q2). Instead, I remain with an M (where I can live at 35mm or at 50mm), but may have interest someday in an RX1r III (but see prior comment about big files). That said, I like the haptics and function of a Leica much more than a Sony ... 

Edited by Jérôme

Just dug out the old RX1RII.  In quick tests, the Q2 edges it...but only just.  The Q2 shots are more natural and have better definition.  I'm astonished that the Sony delivers this in a package almost half the size.

Where the Q2 images particularly fall short, for me, is the OOC skin tones.  In fact, the Sony RAWs handle much better in Lightroom.  For whatever reason, the skin tones in the Q2 RAWs import over-blown & red, which I find impossible to properly correct in post.  Does anyone have a Q2 LR profile, I wonder? Would this make a difference?

Edited by paul.bridges.3388
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Travelling with the RX1RII today and I’m reminded of some faults.  The camera gives an intermittent System Error (resolved by banging the lens!!) and the WiFi no longer works.  The former fault (and fix) is common and a real PIA.

I’m fond of the RX1RII but it’s a little glitchy No firmware was ever released for it.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
27 minutes ago, nariza7 said:

Anyone with a leica q2 for awhile will consider switching to rx1rii OR rx1r iii if it comes out? 

if the RX1R III had A9 eye c-af autofocus speeds, rear tilt screen, improved battery life, and at least the same lovely image quality as the previous models - then I'd at least want it :)

Edited by dancook
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, nariza7 said:

Anyone with a leica q2 for awhile will consider switching to rx1rii OR rx1r iii if it comes out? 

And as for the current RX1R models - the first one had slow autofocus, and the second did not improve on it sufficiently for my needs. manual focus/zone focus was highly troublesome and resets to infinity when the camera comes out of stand by, stand by being needed because battery life is poor.

Edited by dancook
  • Like 2