Mine won't connect

The phone and camera recognise each other and they start handshaking and then it won't connect.

iPhone XS Max

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, dancook said:

Mine won't connect

The phone and camera recognise each other and they start handshaking and then it won't connect.

iPhone XS Max

Mine will connect only intermittently.  Then drops, etc.  Very very poor, all things considered.  iPhone XS.

Edited by paul.bridges.3388

My Q2 is somewhat slow connecting to my ancient iPhone 6, but works well.

Q2 w/ XS Max here. Agree, not worth trying to use at the moment considering slow connection and transfer speeds. The remote control option was interesting and seemed to be ok but not something I personally need to take advantage of. 

All it really did was push me to shoot DNG only and save the space taken up by JPG. I’m also skeptical updates can make up for the slow WiFi/Bluetooth chips.

I have. A stable connection established quickly and find the app very worthwhile. Use it to transfer DNGs to Lightroom from my Q2 to my iPhone XS Max when I’m in the go. Love that. 

Three big problems though:

1. It bricks the camera after every connection. Only solution is to remove battery.

2. The remote doesn’t allow the most simple manual controls making a capable camera very bad. On average the iPhone will take better pics than the Q2 with the remote due to better IQ. The whole idea of a Leica for me is manual control and ergonomics 

3. No video  and no video with the remote. This is a tragedy. Is so useful. Fuji does it great and I have one but wish I could do it with the Q2. Preferably with control over focus (auto/manual) aperture shutter speed and iso. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Agree to all of the above.  All I wanted was for the GPS to work.  On a trip now using trails and GPX files that seems to be working thanks to great information on this forum.

I picked up my Q2, and left the next day for vacation. . . . .however I cannot get the bluetooth to turn "ON" it stays red on "OFF"  then when I try to connect w Leica Fotos it tells me to dismiss the Pairing.  I called Leica US customer support and he was clueless, stated that Leica wants all problems to go through the customer support on the app.  I started to do that and I noticed that when it brings up the automated form it lists the firmware as 1.04, my camera only shows 1.0.  Does anyone know about an upgrade yet?  I just registered my camera so I might not be in the system for the Q2.  I will reply with any news I receive.  Sigh.  I do like the photos I have "snapped" so far, as this is to be my grandma camera, vs my M10 or MM.

kaethe

I have an Android Device (Firmware of my Q2 is 1.0) and everything works perfectly, it connects within seconds and it automatically "wakes up" the WLAN via Bluetooth when I start to connect starting from the FOTOS App. Transferring pictures + remote control works fine. My camera has never bricked so far.

Every once in a while I have an issue with connecting my M10 with the FOTOS App - then I delete the M10 camera profile form the FOTOS App and re-establish the connection via QR-Code. After that it works again. Maybe you could try that with your Q2?

3 hours ago, kaethe said:

Does anyone know about an upgrade yet? 

There is nothing currently showing on the Leica Q2 downloads page. My firmware is also 1.03 and I had my Q2 within a couple of weeks of the launch date so I suspect that was the version with which they shipped. I posted in April about the problems with the Fotos app and there is quite a thread about it where I posted.

Stephen

1 hour ago, Macberg said:

I have an Android Device (Firmware of my Q2 is 1.0) and everything works perfectly, it connects within seconds and it automatically "wakes up" the WLAN via Bluetooth when I start to connect starting from the FOTOS App. Transferring pictures + remote control works fine. My camera has never bricked so far.

That's good to hear but I think a number of us were at one time led to believe that it would be possible to use Bluetooth only as a connection (i.e., without the Wi-Fi connection), thus saving a lot of battery power. The idea of that, of course, was to tansfer geotagging data from the phone to the camera when taking photos (which would be very useful). The relevant Leica Fotos page once implied that was possible but that reference was subsequently removed and there are at least rumours that Leica will issue some firmware upgrade which we hope will make it possible to do that.

Stephen

Posted (edited)
vor einer Stunde schrieb Stephen_C:

That's good to hear but I think a number of us were at one time led to believe that it would be possible to use Bluetooth only as a connection (i.e., without the Wi-Fi connection), thus saving a lot of battery power.

I think, bluetooth is only used to "wake up" the camera's WIFI and to establish the Wifi connection faster (I don't know about the exact process but I remember reading about that somewhere else in this forum). At least, when I establish a connection with my Android Phone, it ends the Wifi) connection to my router at home and establishes a Wifi connection to my Q2 instead. That makes sense because a Wifi connection has a longer range than bluetooth, doesn't it?

Edited by Macberg

vor einer Stunde schrieb Stephen_C:

There is nothing currently showing on the Leica Q2 downloads page. My firmware is also 1.03 and I had my Q2 within a couple of weeks of the launch date so I suspect that was the version with which they shipped.

Does it really show "1.03" on your Q2's display? Mine only says "1.0". Strange...

44 minutes ago, Macberg said:

Does it really show "1.03" on your Q2's display?

The camera shows 1.0 but the EXIF metadata in the DNGs from the camera shows 1.03.

Stephen

Here is their reply, quite prompt compliments of the time zone difference!  I will tackle this when we have WiFi again since we are on a road trip.

Kaethe 

Dear Leica Customer,

Many thanks for your request.

The Leica Q2 is connected via Bluetooth, in the background the WLAN is active for data transmission

because a Bluetooth connection would be too slow.

At the first setup, the Bluetooth is paired first and then the wifi is activated and a profile is created in the iPhone.

Since I can not understand from here where the error is, I suggest you to make the setup again completely new.

Delete your Leica Q2 from the FOTOS app by swiping the entry to the left and tapping the trashcan icon.

Reset your Leica Q2 completely (Main Menu / reset camera).

Restart your iPhone and start the pairing process again.

In the app, select the Leica Q2 and tap Continue.

Activate paring in your Leica Q2.

Main Menu / Leica FOTOS / Pairing

Now Bluetooth is paired with both devices and then the necessary WiFi profile is created,

This may take some time during the initial setup.

If you still have any issues do not hesitate to contact me again.

Peter Brieger

I “played” with the FOTOS app for about 30 minutes this morning. While not perfect, it actually works pretty well for me. I’ve got Remote Wakeup to ON. I previously had paired it with the iPhone (7). It quickly connects and almost is rock solid. I had one time it disconnected. Otherwise, I let the app go into sleep mode (after 4 mins) then it came right out of it when I pressed the shutter button on the app. I find the lag time for the shutter acceptable and MUCH better than the Q app in the past. I took about a 100 photos. No glitches. I downloaded a photo which does take a long time (~ 1 minute). I uploaded a photo to my phone and saw a lot of options for sharing or saving. I tried changing to Continuous shooting. It changed in the app, but the camera still appears to be taking singles. I have no need for video so not disappointed there. In conclusion, it looks very useful to me as is. Hopefully more improvements and code stability will come. 

I have a Q2 that I also can't get to connect to the FOTOS app. I tried the procedure from Peter Brieger outlined in "kaethe's" post above but to no avail. The app works fine with my M10-P but I can't add my Q2. What can I do?