How does an image make it to the "Favorite Images" page?

robgo2

It is a mystery. I have had images with five or six "likes" in the favourites for ages, and images with far over twenty never shown. Somehow there seems to be a frequency over time algorithm that determines the outcome (just guessing)

Another factor is that threads like the "film" thread have a fixed group of "likers" who tend to dominate the favourites.

I don't think that the software allows Admin to influence this opaque process.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/14/2019 at 9:50 PM, robgo2 said:

What is the selection process?

The process runs 3 times per day.

It takes image from a defined time slot and looks for likes from a defined time slot.

If you have questions why your images wasn't included please send me the exact location of your image and I'll try to take a look (if I find the time)

Regarding „block voting“ from the „I like film“ thread:

I'm aware that images from long running threads with a lot of subscribers get much more views and thus likes.

Therefore we have a second category in which only images from the image forums with dedicated threads are shown.

Andreas

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, LUF Admin said:

I'm aware that images from long running threads with a lot of subscribers get much more views and thus likes.

Therefore we have a second category in which only images from the image forums with dedicated threads are shown.

Thank you for explaining, Andreas.  

Unfortunately something isn't working because currently in the top 'Favourite Images' panel (Beliebteste Bilder (ohne Filter)) there are still 18 out of 20 pictures from the "I like film" thread and many of them are different pictures from when I posted previously.🤔

Pete.

Oh I see, I read the "second category" that Andreas mentioned as a second selection category (where long running threads are excluded) after looking at the images from a particular time slot and counting the 'likes'.  My mistake.

I suppose the thing that confuses me slightly is that the 'I like film' thread is the only thread on the forum where any equipment can be used so having such prominence in the top panel where the equipment is often not Leica on a Leica user forum seems odd to me.

Pete.

• Like 2

It may be just a perception of mine but it does seem like it gets stuck and some images are there for days on end. Perhaps that's how it's supposed to work though and I might be spending too much time here 😂

17 hours ago, LUF Admin said:

The process runs 3 times per day.

It takes image from a defined time slot and looks for likes from a defined time slot.

If you have questions why your images wasn't included please send me the exact location of your image and I'll try to take a look (if I find the time)

Andreas

It seems to me that the time slot is the cause: the popularity of the photo is thus not a reflection of the artistic content, but of the fact that heavy LUF-users are liking it. The opinion of ‘slow users’ is thus neglected. I don’t understand why a time slot is necessary, it measures ‘virality’ more than content, I’m inclined to conclude. 

• Like 1

To find the „right“ popular images is an impossible task …

28 minutes ago, otto.f said:

I don’t understand why a time slot is necessary,

If you don't have a time slot you'll have the same images not for days and weeks but for months and years: Those which had the time to collect most likes over the years.

I have tried out many different approaches over the time, getting more and more complicated. And everytime somebody found good and valid reasons why this approach wasn't right.

Please let's agree that there is no perfect way to find the best images by any measures – but that the current solution is one (1) way to identify current images which a lot of forum members  like. 

OK?

Andreas

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1