Does the OIS on new Panasonic Pro lenses work with the Leica SL?

Robert E

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi Guys,

I'm thinking of getting one of the new Panasonic Pro telephoto zoom lenses here in the USA. So far, none of the dealers can tell me for sure, if the OIS will work with my Leica SL.

Is there a thread on this maybe I missed, or have any of you had hands on experience with the new Panasonic lenses on your SL?

Would appreciate your input before I make the purchase. Many thanks.

Best regards,

Robert E

OIS means optical image stabilization, and it is independent of the body, although it is powered by it.

IBIS means in body image stabilization.

As for the Panasonic OIS working on an SL ... good question, but I would guess not, since the SL 24-90mm OIS does not work on the S1 or S1R.

Well Leica lens OIS works fine on the Lumix S1R ....... and it would be daft if the L Alliance didn't allow Panasonic lens OIS to function on the SL. 

With the S & S1R you have the menu option of IBIS, OIS or off. With Panasonic lenses you also have the option of IBIS+OIS ..... although this only adds another stop. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ron777 said:

As for the Panasonic OIS working on an SL ... good question, but I would guess not, since the SL 24-90mm OIS does not work on the S1 or S1R.

Are you sure about that? The camera menus seem to indicate otherwise. I can choose between OIS and IBIS in the S1R menu with my SL lenses that have OIS.

Gordon

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, thighslapper said:

Well Leica lens OIS works fine on the Lumix S1R ....... and it would be daft if the L Alliance didn't allow Panasonic lens OIS to function on the SL. 

With the S & S1R you have the menu option of IBIS, OIS or off. With Panasonic lenses you also have the option of IBIS+OIS ..... although this only adds another stop. 

Are you saying Leica OIS works on the S in isolation from the camera ‘s IBIS? That makes no sense. Why would you do that when the IBIS is more effective? However, I was only making a guesstimate in re Panasonic on SL based upon the inability to incorporate the Vario Elmar’s OIS with the S1R IBIS

btw, since the S1R has IBIS, how would you know if the SL len’s OIS is working?.

Edited by ron777

If you attach a Leica lens with OIS to a Panasonic camera you have the choice of Lens OIS, body IBIS or off

If you attach a Panasonic lens with OIS to a Panasonic camera you have a choice of Lens OIS, Body OIS or both

If you attach a non OIS Leica (or other)  lens you have a choice of IBIS on or off. 

As IBIS is 5 stops and Leica OIS 3 stops or so I set IBIS as the default, whatever lens I use. 

Combined IBIS + OIS only functions with Panasonic lenses. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

The combined feature was my point. The OP had questioned about a Panasonic lens’ OIS on an SL. I don’t yet own such a lens and only ventured a guess in response, based upon the lack of the combined OIS/IBIS feature with an SL lens on an S camera.

I appreciate all the comments so far. To clarify my question: I understand the IBIS capabilities of the S1 & S1R,  that's not my concern.

The Panasonic Pro lenses have a switch on the side for OIS on/off. So the lens itself does have OIS.

The Leica Sl does not have IBIS as we all know. The Leica 24-90L lens does have OIS, which we know works with the SL.

So, the question is: does a Panasonic Pro lens with OIS work with the Leica SL to give the shooter extra stops of image stability? This is important to some of us older guys with unsteady hands. I've asked several dealers already, and one even told me they have received so little information from Panasonic, that they actually don't know the answer.

Again, thanks to all who take the time to comment, maybe someone out there has tried the lens on an SL and can actually confirm or deny the OIS works with it?

Guys, I just received this email back from Leica:

Technical Info via leicacamerausa.onmicrosoft.com 

11:48 AM (4 minutes ago)

cleardot.gif
cleardot.gif
to me

Robert,

With the recent firmware update posted for the Leica SL (version 3.5), L-mount lenses from other manufacturers provide AF and OIS functionality.

Best regards,
Mark Brady

Technical Advisor

Leica Camera Inc
1 Pearl Court, Unit A / Allendale, NJ 07401 / USA 

• Thanks 2

18 hours ago, thighslapper said:

If you attach a Leica lens with OIS to a Panasonic camera you have the choice of Lens OIS, body IBIS or off

If you attach a Panasonic lens with OIS to a Panasonic camera you have a choice of Lens OIS, Body OIS or both

If you attach a non OIS Leica (or other)  lens you have a choice of IBIS on or off. 

As IBIS is 5 stops and Leica OIS 3 stops or so I set IBIS as the default, whatever lens I use. 

Combined IBIS + OIS only functions with Panasonic lenses. 

Maybe I would be worth a test, if for long lenses (SL 90-280) the OIS is better/worse than the IBIS ?  On paper it is 5 stops for IBIS and only 3 stops for OIS, but in practical use ?

Edited by caissa

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/15/2019 at 6:05 AM, FlashGordonPhotography said:

Are you sure about that? The camera menus seem to indicate otherwise. I can choose between OIS and IBIS in the S1R menu with my SL lenses that have OIS.

Gordon

Does your Godox off camera lights work in full compatibility with your S1R? Inclusive of HSS & TTL control?