jpattison

f2.8 28mm PC Super Angulon 67mm filter thread pitch

Hi all,

I'd like to use a filter on my f2.8 PC Super Angulon, but I can't find out the pitch, my regular 67mm filter doesn't thread on.

Any Ideas ? Schneider don't say...

Thanks, John

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, jpattison said:

I'd like to use a filter on my f2.8 PC Super Angulon, but I can't find out the pitch, my regular 67mm filter doesn't thread on.Any Ideas ? Schneider don't say...

Does this page help?

It should take EW 67 filters. EW stands for extra-wide and the filter thread is larger.

Edited by pico

Using filter with this lens is difficult, I don't use none of EW67 (no thread, just plain glass):

Quote from wiki Pico linked to:

[ ...

PC-Super-Angulon 2.8/28mm

Filter mount/Lens hood - Internal thread for screw-in type filters EW 67, unset glass filters 74 mm (for special wide-angle filter mounting in lens hood, as well as special polarizing filter 67 EW ) / Separate, screw-in type 12540, also serves as holder for special 67 EW filters

]

First of all, a regular 67mm filter is not at all suitable, because of the extreme light ray angles involved when the lens is shifted, and consequent vignetting. There are two possibilities:

(1) A 67EW filter from B+W (Schneider) which actually comprises the glass in a screw-in mount which looks like a vestigial oversize hood and which screws on to the lens without hood. This is not the same as the oversize hood (12540) which comes with the lens.

(2) The proper 12540 hood has a retaining ring which will unscrew to take an unmounted glass filter disc available from B+W (74mm). This is a less unsatisfactory solution.

My own view is that with such extreme ray angles involved when the lens is shifted, any filter degrades performance more than usual, because of the lateral shift of the light rays through the parallel sided glass disc. Hence I avoid using any filter at all in all but very hostile environments. Having to insert or remove an unmounted glass disc is a pain, and I actually have two of the official 12540 hoods, one with a glass disc, and one with nothing.

I wouldn't even consider attempting to use a polariser, again because, with the extremely wide angle of the incident rays, inconsistent results would be obtained.

Posted (edited)

Thanks Pico (I forgot to look there!), and John.

I forgot to mention I'm using a Lee 100mm system, so I would need them to make an adapter with the correct thread.

I used a regular filter just to try the thread. I suppose I was thinking of using an ND grad on my Lee holder, but thank you, John, for the info.

I do have the 12540 hood, and didn't realise that there was a filter available, so thanks again John for that.

I use it on my SL2 as well as my SL, and it is the only lens I haven't got covered with the Lee holder for film, as I can use a grad in Lightroom.

Thanks,

John

Edited by jpattison

As a side note for this particular good lens, the "front thread is very special", I don't know why.

Some years ago, the front cover was lost, so I said to myself why not use a clip on regular E67 cap to preserve the front lens.

Reality is not so simple, because the lens thread is not standard, I could not cap the lens.

To cap, I must turn focus ring to closest so the E67 cap can stay put 😵.

3 hours ago, a.noctilux said:

To cap, I must turn focus ring to closest so the E67 cap can stay put 😵.

Aha ! 

I hadn't noticed that as the lens focusses it covers the internal thread. The 12540 hood has a very thin thread, so will allow the lens section to move inside the hood. Is that what the 'EW 67' indicates? A normal 67mm filter will fit, as you say, only at 0.4m and below. 

But I am after a ring to fit a Lee holder on, so maybe it will be possible to make a thinner threaded ring. I'll ask Lee Filters.

Thanks,

John

Indeed, with regard to a lens cap, the Leica one that comes with the lens is a push-on cap. It's actually a bit of a nuisance as it is easily dislodged when taking the camera/lens out of a bag.

To the OP,

now I remember that when I newly bought the PC S-A 28mm lens, I wanted to use filter (pol filter I think that I used on most lanscape/building photos).

Searching for adapter like E67 to E72 or bigger E77, I could not screw the many adapters I purchased inside the lens as their thickness are all too much.

So I  gave up for filter use.

Hi everyone,

Lee Filters Tech Support have said they will build a wide angle adapter with the correct thickness of 67mm thread to fit, so I am sending them my hood's base plate for them to copy. (after Easter). I'll keep you informed!

John