1.4x APO extender performance questions

james.liam

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Wondering what experiential commentary on the unit is around here.

I found a used one listed at a US Leica dealer in Exc ++ condition for $325 (a steal? ) and want to use it on my 280 APO Telyt. 

Pretty inexpensive way into a Leica 400/5.6, methinks.

How much does it degrade the image, if at all?

I have used the APO extenders extensively. I have never seen any image degradation. Even the 1.4 APO and 2xAPO stacked will give excellent results. Disclaimer - Leica advised to stop down one stop. I never found out why ;) .

Here are a few samples that I made with the 2x Apo Extender and the 3.4/180mm APO:

Ponte Vecchio by Dirk R., auf Flickr

Zürich by Dirk R., auf Flickr

Zürich by Dirk R., auf Flickr

• Like 1

The Apo-Extender-R x1.4 was launched with the Apo-Telyt-R 2.8/280mm to transform it to 4/400 equivalent.

If I remember well, it was "offered" as a kit x1.4 + 2.8/280 with the aluminium case and cut outs in the foam to carry around the heavy setup.

I had used the combo and results are excellent, even wide open, but weighty combo.

Now I prefer the 4/280 ( about one kg less weight) and results are better (maybe less shaky than the former combo even used on tripod), when used with x1.4 or x2 Apo-Extender-R,

this 4/280 handholdable ( well as 5.6/400, less as 8/560 😉).

Edited by a.noctilux

36 minutes ago, jaapv said:

I found the 5.6/560 best on a bean bag.

I used monopod, but carrying around 2.8/280 + x2, x1.4 was a pain (even without the heavy case).

Telyt 6.8/560 was light for handheld (+ monopod) and good enough for my use.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

APO-Extender 2x with Elmar 135mm f/4 on APS. Exposure 1/60, ISO 12800 ( inside the room). Noise reduced with Dfine, no sharpening.

Focal length 135 x 2 x 1.5 -> 400mm

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by jankap
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 4/14/2019 at 12:44 PM, a.noctilux said:

I used monopod, but carrying around 2.8/280 + x2, x1.4 was a pain (even without the heavy case).

What is wrong with a bit of exercise? :lol:

I used to carry a 280/4.0 on 1.4x  around in the African bush on long hikes for years... The light is good enough for handheld use. A few years younger then, mind you. ;)

The main problem was that the Leica R bayonet was not robust enough on the Minolta frame for the beating it got with such use. I had to have my bodies adjusted after most trips, which meant physically bending the bayonet back to 90º to the optical axis. Leica used to have a little telescope-mirror checking tool. They were able to do so three or four times on a body before compromising metal strength.
This problem was rectified on the R8/R9

Moral: Be careful when using heavy lenses on R/Minolta bodies. Carry the combo by the lens and do not drop it. Use the lens tripod bush and strap lugs, not those on the camera.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I use 2X APO on 180APO3.4 regularly with no problems. It is very good. Depends on pixel peeping, it may have shortcoming compared to best 400mm but in practice it is very very good. 

As for 1.4APO, I don’t have experience and I am not sure. However, I still believe, digital wizardry (sharpening algorithm) makes up for 1.4X. 

Edited by jmahto