23mm advice

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've just returned from my first shooting trip with the new CL+23.  In general I am very pleased with the lens -- compact, fast and good quality output.  However, processing the raw files on my desktop machine I have noticed some mild barrel distortion - visible with straight lines (such as balconies) near the top edge of the frame.  LR says the inbuilt lens correction has been applied but there is some distortion still visible.

I also notice some colour fringing on bright edges with extreme contrast.  LR seems to remove it okay, but again I would have expected the lens profile to do its job.

I wondered if anyone else noticed this with their own copies of the 23mm and whether it is normal?  I don't recall seeing similar problems with any of my M lenses.

Thanks

Edited by rob_w

Just curious, how much magnification do you have to apply to see the color fringing. I went up to 1200% looking at tree limbs in the corner of the frame and didn't see any with my 23, so I figure I am safe. With my 11-16 Tokina, a lens noted for color fringing, I had to go to 800% to see any, then the Tokina 11-20 Adobe RAW profile took care of it, so in a way I am not going to worry about it. 

11 hours ago, tommonego@gmail.com said:

how much magnification do you have to apply to see the color fringing

Hi Tom, I am not a pixel-peeper.  I noticed something not quite right when assessing the full picture.  It is visible at 1:1 magnification.

In this example, straight from raw conversion, the central boy has a red tinge around the back of his head (not  sure it will show in the size limited upload):

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I am more concerned about barrel distortion.  Here is the full picture from which the above 1:1 crop is taken.  The distortion is clear, across the top of the picture, where the tops of the canopies appear to bend in an arc.

(Well, for some reason the forum wont allow me to upload a second picture.  Not sure why.  It has been re-sized to 335k, i.e. below the max .49Kb.  I'll try again later)

Update: I was able to post the full pic in the "Leica CL-the image thread" https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/279062-leica-cl-the-image-thread/page/258/

Edited by rob_w

Advertisement (gone after registration)

16 hours ago, wda said:

Yes, I have noticed colour fringing and wondered why the profile hadn't addressed this issue.

AFAIK LR lens profiles do not address fringing (CA) as it depends on contrast, so it cannot be quantified.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rob_w said:

Hi Tom, I am not a pixel-peeper.  I noticed something not quite right when assessing the full picture.  It is visible at 1:1 magnification.

In this example, straight from raw conversion, the central boy has a red tinge around the back of his head (not  sure it will show in the size limited upload):

Robert,

Really obvious, would return the lens, which you did. I bought mine second hand so I am glad it is fine. Personally I never look at images at 800%, but was just curious. 

Tom 

Very interesting.  I just re-visited Sean Reid's review of the TL23 (on his subscription site).  Comparing his examples to my own photos, it is clear that my version of LR (perpetual 6.14) and Luminar 3.0 are NOT applying software distortion correction (SDC).  Somewhat mystifying, as Sean says that SDC is automatically applied in Lightroom unless the relevant op codes are removed from the DNG.  In my case, LR reports that distortion correction has been applied (when I try to change it) yet the finished results look the same as Sean's photos without SDC.  The SDC affects both barrel distortion (perfectly corrected) and chromatic aberration (completely removed).

If any other forum members can shed light on this mystery I would gratefully appreciate it.

TL2 11-23

• Like 5