IIIg digital?

Right, they did...

When Leica presented the then new digital CL, it was affiliated with IIIg and Oskar Barnack (with his signature 👻),

full IIIg _CL

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

There are more than enough LTM cameras and lenses around to be used with film for anyone who wants to do this. I can never, therefore, understand the market for 'replicas', except perhaps for the Ur and the 0 Series. Even then there is much more pleasure to be had from using an actual 90 year old I Model A than using a replica of any kind. As for making a digital replica of an LTM camera, I cannot see the point of this. It would be like putting a vintage Bentley body on a modern Bentley 'chassis' (if it can be described as such). For what it is worth Minox produced a miniature digital replica of the M3 (sometimes called a Sharan) some years ago. They also produced a miniature version of the IIIf, but that took miniature film.

I am not sure that there would be a market for a digital IIIg. Besides, there is a thrill waiting for anyone who uses a IIIg for its intended use; taking photos with film.

William

• Like 1

Remember folks there were the special edition LTM lenses made by Leica in 1999. For some odd reason, they were only actively marketed in Japan, although some did escape. Some of the Japanese collectors who bought them in 1999 are now deceased and a few of these lenses are now coming on the market. There were three lenses in the series: Summicrons 35 ASPH 35/2 & 50/2 series V and a 50/1.4 Summilux III (pre-ASPH e46). Apparently they were not good sellers, so I would doubt that Leica would repeat the exercise. I have the two 50mm lenses the Summicron and Summilux. They are both beautifully made with brass bodies and in silver satin chrome finish. Unlike the 2 previous series V 50 Summicrons I have owned, this one is first class. My absolute favourite however is the S.III Summilux. It is very small for its aperture and performance and to my eyes at least, renders far more pleasantly than the rather clinical and sometimes harsh ASPH 50 Summilux. It also is far smoother focusing, certainly compared with my ASPH 50/1.4, which had horrible "stiction" on its focusing. I would have bought the third lens in the series but a month before the 2 Summicrons came up in an estate auction in Japan, I had bought an ex-display 35/2 ASPH in M mount. 

Wilson

Edited by wlaidlaw
  • Like 1

Sometimes I use "big lens" on my LTM Leica, VF is near to not usable (so I use SBOOI for 50mm or "big SBLOO" for 35mm).

Even when I use the 1999 Summicron LTM, with sliding hood, the lens hides too much internal VF, so I prefer the collapsible Elmar or Summicron for that reason.

It looks cool on IIIg this 1999 Summicron 50mm viewing from front :

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

This is just for fun, in real life, I don't use the "never ready case".

• Like 2

I'm not saying they shouldn't produce modern lenses in screw mount, but let's face it; how many would be sold and used?  To me, the pleasure is in using an 86 year old screw mount camera and lens; I don't think I would buy modern asph lenses for my Leica 11.  If I wanted the look of a modern lens but used on an old camera, why not just use the current bayonet version on a 65 year old M3 - which would still be older than any IIIg?

On the other hand, they would be beautifully made and a joy to own!  I suppose in the harsh reality of commerce, the lenses are made to be bought, not necessarily to be used.  I am sure we all own mint lenses, many decades old, that have been hardly used.

Susie

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, a.noctilux said:

Sometimes I use "big lens" on my LTM Leica, VF is near to not usable (so I use SBOOI for 50mm or "big SBLOO" for 35mm).

Even when I use the 1999 Summicron LTM, with sliding hood, the lens hides too much internal VF, so I prefer the collapsible Elmar or Summicron for that reason.

I agree.  I have three E39 lenses that came as a set with my IIIg. Using the 50mm f/2.8 Elmar with the correct hood is just about okay on the IIIg, but any other screw mount camera needs a Viooh or other finder because so much is hidden in the built in finder. A36 lenses are much better for the earlier cameras.

Susie

3 hours ago, Susie said:

I agree.  I have three E39 lenses that came as a set with my IIIg. Using the 50mm f/2.8 Elmar with the correct hood is just about okay on the IIIg, but any other screw mount camera needs a Viooh or other finder because so much is hidden in the built in finder. A36 lenses are much better for the earlier cameras.

Susie

Using the huge and heavy 85mm/f1.5 Summarex on my IIIg certainly presents a bit of a challenge. I tried at first using the 90mm frame in the VF but quickly gave up and used an external 85mm finder. I have progressed from a KMZ 85mm finder, kindly given to me by a forum member to a TEWE zoom finder and finally the ultimate, the Leica bright line SGOOD. 

Wilson

On 4/12/2019 at 8:53 AM, Symeon said:

I was wondering. Why doesn't Leica produce a IIIg digital camera with either a screw-mount or bayonet-mount? Didn't we have enough of all these improvisations on the main M theme? What is your opinion?

DIY

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, 250swb said:

DIY

Steve, 

That must have been a real labour of love. Getting the original controls to function with the digital insert is brilliant. I suspect that if the builder costed his work time at a realistic rate, that camera would have been more expensive to build than an M10-P. 

Wilson

I agree, Wilson. The cost of doing this would be very high unless someone produced a cheapo lookalike LTM body with the gubbins of a cheap compact inside. The pleasure of using LTM Leicas greatly involves the use of film and, to my mind, that is lost in the conceit of having digital works inside an older film body. I am sure that Leica would charge an arm and a leg for such bodies. 

While we are on this subject, I note that, of late, Leica have slowed down in the rate and scope of issue of 'special editions' and the release of  'faux vintage' lenses has also slowed down. A re-assessment of priorities in the light of a difficult marketplace? The Huawei deal must be helping to offset this and now looks like a very wise decision. 

William

• Like 1