Leica M10 to M10-P upgrade?

budjames

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On the Leica Rumors, I saw a mention of the price for upgrading your M10 to M10-P. Here is the post: https://leicarumors.com/2019/04/10/leica-m10-to-m10-p-upgrade-program.aspx/

I was curious if anyone is considering this upgrade when it becomes available in the USA?

Personally, I think that trading in an M10 towards to purchase of an M10-P might be a better value with the end result not being a "Frankestein" M10.

Regards,
Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography or on Instagram at www.instagram.com/budjamesphoto.

If you are happy with the guts of your M10 and your warranty just ran out, there is no better deal, especially if you do not care about the quiet shutter. I did the Frankenlab visit years back with my M9 and was happy with the result.

Way cheaper, easier and better to sell M10 and buy M10-P or M10-D instead. 

Three huge benefits :

- no über long turn around time at Wetzlar. 

- save several hundreds of €/$/£ 

- get brand new body with full 2 years warranty. 

Extra bonus : you can choose another colour. 

It it is way more expensive than M8.U and M9 upgrade time. And you did not even get a beautiful sapphire screen. Touch screen is totally useless with an M 

Did the upgrade bring the level sensor back to M10 ? If not, trading in M10 for an M10-P is way better. 

Edited by nicci78
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Last year this was something that I reckoned I'd have been interested in having done to my regular M10, and in the meantime I went a bought the M10-D and that re-shaped my thinking on whether to upgrade the M10 or not and here's where I am now on this.....it's not worth it.

The quieter shutter that now I experience with the M10-D is something I thought I would have liked to have on my M10, but for the rest? There's very little there that would make it worth laying out another 3000 Euros. Changing the exterior engraving and removing the red dot, touch screen, spirit level, nothing there that would enhance the operation of the M10 for me and to be honest for my day to day usage I find little to complain about now regarding the difference in the shutter sounds between my M10 and the M10-D.

Although I played with an M10-P and loved the quieter shutter, I am going to pass on the conversion and instead save my money for the M11, or whatever it will be called. The next version of the M10 should include the "P" features and a higher-res sensor like the one used in the new Q2.

Regards,
Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography or on Instagram at www.instagram.com/budjamesphoto.

• Like 1

vor 2 Stunden schrieb budjames:

Although I played with an M10-P and loved the quieter shutter, I am going to pass on the conversion...

+1. Unless one needs the spirit level. I upgraded, love the shutter sound, but it's not a must, of course. There's been exactly one shot since I got the M10-P where it was absolutely critical to have a level horizon out-of-camera.

I can’t disclose why but I don’t think those prices are correct. I paid $6500 for my M10 which already has a lot of miles on it and now they want $8,000 for one that has among what I need, a giant screw in the front and filigree font on top, neither of which I really care for. 

So I figure I could get at best $4500 for my M10 and that means I am better off doing the upgrade. I need a much quieter shutter than what the vanilla M10 affords, I am willing to pay for it so I will.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1