Thinking of bailing on the Q2...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I put an order in for the Q2 the morning of the 7th and all of this waiting has be rethinking my options. Thinking of bailing on the Q2 and going with a Fuji X100F. I won’t be printing photos and mainly will be using the camera for personal shots and Instagram. The stills I have seen coming out of the Q2 just don’t seem to have that same pizzaz that the Q1 had. Maybe I should go over to Samys Camera and test out some options first but for $1,300, the X100F seems like the perfect walk around camera. 

The Fuji is not, as you know, full frame. But it is a wonderful camera and for your purposes would certainly serve you very well. The Q2 seems like expensive overkill in this case. And yes, the inevitable wait for new Leica models can be quite frustrating. I personally believe that Leica does this intentionally.

All I can say is that I have been shooting with the Q for 2 years now after switching from a full-on Nikon DSLR kit on multiple fast primes and big zooms. And I am thrilled with the change. The Q is a dream as a travel camera and has re-ignited my passion around photography. I love the design of it, the feel of it in my hands and the outstanding image quality through the full frame 1.7 Summi. My brother shoots a Fuji X100F - a terrific camera that he loves but I think he would admit he covets my Q. With Q's still available new in the market at a significantly reduced price, I would heartily recommend the Q to you.   

I had the Fuji X100 and enjoyed it, but never got comfortable with the 35mm equivalent lens. Build quality was just "ok" as well. Personally, I feel the Q or Q2 is just in a whole other league on all fronts. The original Q might be a better option for you. I've seen some used Qs pop up in "like new "condition at very reasonable prices.

I had the original X100.   My three mostly minor complaints:

1) EVF --- good thing I could use the viewfinder in optical mode

2) Aperture ring location.  I prefer it at the end of the lens a la the Q, not close to the body

3) APS-C

The Q feels better in my hands.   Others most likely disagree.  Both cameras are limited by my photo taking abilities more than any camera specific technical criteria.

I'm happy enough with my Q that the Q2 doesn't interest me at this time.

• Like 1