grahamhoey

Questions and Answers re S1 or S1R

I thought it might be worth starting a topic for Q and A re features or other matters concerning the Lumix S model cameras. I will start with a question re using T lenses on the S1R. The T lens crops to 1.5X so the Leica 35mm 1.4 T lens is effectively a 50mm focal length lens (let's not get into the DOF discussion as it has been beaten to death elsewhere) on the S cameras just as it is on the SL. On the SL you end up with a 10mp image, I'm not sure why. I would have thought it would be a 16mp image (24mp divided by 1.5) 

My question is if the ratio is 10mp vs 24mp on the SL does this mean you will end up with a 20mp (47mp times 10/24) image using a T lens on the S1R and presumably a 10mp image using the S1?

vor 23 Stunden schrieb grahamhoey:

On the SL you end up with a 10mp image, I'm not sure why. I would have thought it would be a 16mp image (24mp divided by 1.5). 

You are assuming same pixel density between SL and TL/CL which is not the case. The SL has fewer and, understandably, larger pixels for the same given sensor area. You have to calculate the number of pixels in the S1R sensor after you apply the TL crop factor to its area (the area that the TL lenses will cover on it), obviously. The solution was given abut 2,500 years ago. 🤣

Posted (edited)

This is the size on the S1R ...... just over 20mpx 

...... so you can basically get similar resolution images to the CL and SL using TL lenses :D

So ..... if you want a lightweight travel option just ditch the heavy SL lenses and take the TL ones. :)

My CL is now beginning to look nervous and worried .......

Edited by thighslapper

Posted (edited)

I am on a trip now, and found an S1. I decided to pick it up, to see if it can replace my Sonys, mostly for video. So far I am impressed. It is certainly more pleasurable to use with MF Leica lenses. I did not buy a lens, so right now I only have my M lenses, and I will by an S adapter L. One question I have at the moment, however, is whether it is possible to do focus stacking with MF lenses. I hope it is, but so far it appears like it might not be possible. I could not figure it out at least. It would be nice if it could be done in camera with non-AF lenses, given that none of my lenses support AF! AF is not all that important to me, but reading the manual, the amount given over to all the different permutations and settings for autofocus is pretty amazing...apart from sports, I am not sure what is so difficult about it, haha. 

Edited by Stuart Richardson

1 hour ago, Stuart Richardson said:

I am on a trip now, and found an S1. I decided to pick it up, to see if it can replace my Sonys, mostly for video. So far I am impressed. It is certainly more pleasurable to use with MF Leica lenses. I did not buy a lens, so right now I only have my M lenses, and I will by an S adapter L. One question I have at the moment, however, is whether it is possible to do focus stacking with MF lenses. I hope it is, but so far it appears like it might not be possible. I could not figure it out at least. It would be nice if it could be done in camera with non-AF lenses, given that none of my lenses support AF! AF is not all that important to me, but reading the manual, the amount given over to all the different permutations and settings for autofocus is pretty amazing...apart from sports, I am not sure what is so difficult about it, haha. 

The "automatic" focus stacking option on S1 (at least on my S1R) requires AF lenses and only outputs jpgs (unless I have overlooked something, which is certainly possible). Not at all like current Nikon focus stacking (focus "shifting") on the Zs and 850 which requires 3rd party software and AF lenses, but takes the images for you from your close focus to infinity. However, I do focus stacking frequently with my SL manually by simply moving the focus point from the bottom to the top of the frame and magnify and use manual focus at several locations and then blend with 3rd party software (Zerene Stacker).

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, rpittal said:

The "automatic" focus stacking option on S1 (at least on my S1R) requires AF lenses and only outputs jpgs (unless I have overlooked something, which is certainly possible). Not at all like current Nikon focus stacking (focus "shifting") on the Zs and 850 which requires 3rd party software and AF lenses, but takes the images for you from your close focus to infinity. However, I do focus stacking frequently with my SL manually by simply moving the focus point from the bottom to the top of the frame and magnify and use manual focus at several locations and then blend with 3rd party software (Zerene Stacker).

Are you sure about the jpg thing? With my S1R, the focus stacking works as one would expect (as per my onw experience Fujifilm and Nikon) on the S1R, at least in RAW mode, generating a series of RAW images with the (hard to predict) expected focusing interval. AF is required, of course. Automatic focus stacking modes won't work with MF lenses (on any camera manufacturer that I know of, for that matter).

Edited by JeffWright

37 minutes ago, JeffWright said:

Are you sure about the jpg thing? With my S1R, the focus stacking works as one would expect (as per my onw experience Fujifilm and Nikon) on the S1R, at least in RAW mode, generating a series of RAW images with the (hard to predict) expected focusing interval. AF is required, of course. Automatic focus stacking modes won't work with MF lenses (on any camera manufacturer that I know of, for that matter).

Jeff: Sorry for the confusion. That was my impression when I read the manual. Glad it can output raw. I have been using the high res mode and it outputs the high res raw and a standard res raw plus jpg (when I set for raw + fine and request both res versions). I was disappointed when I say jpg as output for the stack, so glad I misread that.

6 hours ago, thighslapper said:

This is the size on the S1R ...... just over 20mpx 

...... so you can basically get similar resolution images to the CL and SL using TL lenses :D

...... and of course you can use Hi-Res mode and bump them up to native S1R resolution :P

So ..... if you want a lightweight travel option just ditch the heavy SL lenses and take the TL ones. :)

My CL is now beginning to look nervous and worried .......

I tried the TL lenses I have, being the 18-56 and the 35mm and also got 20mp images. However mine seemed soft so wondering if the IBIS reads the focal length right or might have just been user error. Also although I didn’t try the High Res mode I thought it was greyed out. Will have to try again. 

4 hours ago, grahamhoey said:

I tried the TL lenses I have, being the 18-56 and the 35mm and also got 20mp images. However mine seemed soft so wondering if the IBIS reads the focal length right or might have just been user error. Also although I didn’t try the High Res mode I thought it was greyed out. Will have to try again. 

On reflection I think Hi-Res is unavailable with TL lenses ...... I should stop posting late at night after a few glasses of wine .... :rolleyes:

Another thing I was wondering about was that when I zoom in (8x) to check focus, the images seem soft. However, when imported into Lightroom, they are fine. Is anyone else seeing this behaviour? It feels like the camera is zooming in on a small jpeg, rather than a full resolution one. Picture quality is set to RAW only. I am using M lenses. 

6 hours ago, rpittal said:

Jeff: Sorry for the confusion. That was my impression when I read the manual. Glad it can output raw. I have been using the high res mode and it outputs the high res raw and a standard res raw plus jpg (when I set for raw + fine and request both res versions). I was disappointed when I say jpg as output for the stack, so glad I misread that.

LOL and I just read the manual, and can totally understand how you came to your conclusion. The manual does describe this Post-Focus Recording mode, which I haven't had a chance to use, that lets you fine tune the focus point range and thus generate a merged jpg image. Unfortunately, my only battery is charging, so can't play with it at the moment. I'm still trying to get my head around all these different buttons 🤬

'Conventional' stacking can be done by using the focus bracket option. Like the other manufacturers focus bracketing, it is very much a "black box" kind of setting, where you have no idea focus step is for each interval. One thing that is really cool is that the camera playback automatically groups all the images from one bracket set. This is true for all the different bracketing options. Nice feature, I think.

1 hour ago, Stuart Richardson said:

Another thing I was wondering about was that when I zoom in (8x) to check focus, the images seem soft. However, when imported into Lightroom, they are fine. Is anyone else seeing this behaviour? It feels like the camera is zooming in on a small jpeg, rather than a full resolution one. Picture quality is set to RAW only. I am using M lenses. 

Correct ..... and it actually says in the manual (:rolleyes:) that if you want an accurate representation of the image use RAW+JPG ...... and then the review image is based on whatever resolution JPG you have set. 

This also happens to some extent with TL lenses .... but in this case it is due the magnification levels being proportionately higher as the recorded image is cropped. 

The S 24-105 mm F4 Macro OIS shows on the Panasonic Lumix DC-S1 minor visual errors such as distortion, edge dimming and color fringing. The resolution is moderately high, which is mainly due to the very restrained image processing with a lower artifact rate. At the edge resolution, the lens weakens significantly. Up to ISO 400, the signal-to-noise ratio of S1 is good and acceptable up to ISO 6,400. Above ISO 6,400, the brightness noise increases sharply. Up to ISO 400, the detail rate is very good, up to ISO 6,400 acceptable. The input dynamics are good to very good, the colors even very good and accurate.Particularly fast - especially for a full-frame mirrorless - is the autofocus.

(with the S1)

https://www.digitalkamera.de%2FTestbericht%2FTestbericht_Panasonic_Lumix_DC-S1%2F11246.aspx%3Fpage%3D2

New question:

I‘ve just got my S1r and use it with M lenses. I can‘t select the electronic first curtain shutter mode (EFC). It is greyed out.

Has anybody an idea on this?

Correct.

It is only functional with L alliance native lenses.

As its main use is to reduce shutter shock etc. with long lenses ...... most of which currently are adapted manual lenses ....... this doesn't make much sense. :rolleyes:

I can't logically see any reason why it should not be available ...... maybe worth contacting Panasonic about it ....

2 hours ago, thighslapper said:

Correct.

It is only functional with L alliance native lenses.

As its main use is to reduce shutter shock etc. with long lenses ...... most of which currently are adapted manual lenses ....... this doesn't make much sense. :rolleyes:

I can't logically see any reason why it should not be available ...... maybe worth contacting Panasonic about it ....

Thanks, thighslapper!

I agree, it makes no sense and I will definetly contact Panasonic. I will also request M lens recognition when using the Leica M adapter (which is another investment). On the other hand, I understand that there are some „issues“ in this early stage ...

Let‘s see how it develops.

1 hour ago, BeuBu said:

Thanks, thighslapper!

I agree, it makes no sense and I will definetly contact Panasonic. I will also request M lens recognition when using the Leica M adapter (which is another investment). On the other hand, I understand that there are some „issues“ in this early stage ...

Let‘s see how it develops.

My S1R recognises M lenses when using the M to L adaptor already. Focal length is shown correctly in the EXIF with coded lenses and the IBIS operates properly without intervention. I have no idea if any profiles are applied but the lens is definitely recognised.

Gordon

7 hours ago, FlashGordonPhotography said:

My S1R recognises M lenses when using the M to L adaptor already. Focal length is shown correctly in the EXIF with coded lenses and the IBIS operates properly without intervention. I have no idea if any profiles are applied but the lens is definitely recognised.

Gordon

Thanks Gordon. 

My FW version is 1.0 and I‘m using the M adapter T. But for my understanding it should be 100% identical with the M adapter L? Same Leica number, only another name?

After power-on I get the startup screen, which is asking for the focal length. But the attached M lens is not correctly recognized/proposed.

I didn‘t checked the Exif data by now. I will do it later, because I‘m travelling today. 

Uwe