Does anyone know of a tripod support/mount ring for the 500mm MR-Telyt-R?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 8 Stunden schrieb wlaidlaw:

I have been told that the front cover glass is easily scratched, so I think I will continue with the protective filter. Given it is a good quality MRC Hoya (who it is thought may make some of the Leica branded filters) and is only protective not optical, it should have minimal effect on the imaging. Wilson

Hello Wilson

I have bought my mirror lens around 15 years ago, second hand. In the field I had the sunshade mounted permanently. The lens was not used very often, but it has seen the solar eclipses in Australia, USA and Bavaria at least. Also a visit to Wil van Manen in the Netherlands was necessary. I had bought it with a Canon mount. There are no scratches! But I am very careful in respect of dust cleaning on glass surfaces. 

I would not put a front filter on the lens, because of possible reflections between the 2 filters (frontend and backend).

Mentioning this minor ring a sunshade is a joke (of Leica) for me.

The support ring you have found, is great. I have used the Novoflex one on the adapter up till now.

Jan

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jankap said:

Hello Wilson

I have bought my mirror lens around 15 years ago, second hand. In the field I had the sunshade mounted permanently. The lens was not used very often, but it has seen the solar eclipses in Australia, USA and Bavaria at least. Also a visit to Wil van Manen in the Netherlands was necessary. I had bought it with a Canon mount. There are no scratches! But I am very careful in respect of dust cleaning on glass surfaces. 

I would not put a front filter on the lens, because of possible reflections between the 2 filters (frontend and backend).

Mentioning this minor ring a sunshade is a joke (of Leica) for me.

The support ring you have found, is great. I have used the Novoflex one on the adapter up till now.

Jan

Hello Jankap,

It might be that the sunshade is there as a protector to absorb the impact from inadvertent contact with a hard object. Or inadvertent touching of the lens surface. In a number of situations a lens shade is more important as a protector than it is as a light suppressor.

Best Regards,

Michael

• Like 1

There is an interesting article in the Lens Rentals blog on the effect of a "dust" particle. 

It tells the effect of a (dead) fly in a lens on the image quality (very little!). Also of course the removal of it with estimated costs of 350$.

2 hours ago, jankap said:

There is an interesting article in the Lens Rentals blog on the effect of a "dust" particle. 

It tells the effect of a (dead) fly in a lens on the image quality (very little!). Also of course the removal of it with estimated costs of 350$.

Sadly the fly was dead, so could not explain exactly how on earth it got into the middle of the lens.

My "kit" 18-56TL had a piece of fluff or possibly machining debris (it looked silvery) inside the front group, just behind the front element. It could only have got there during manufacture as the front group is sealed. As my CL was also faulty (lens release button had dropped off and the retaining screw dropped into the innards), I requested a new replacement for both. After a fair bit of argy/bargy with Leica and with the robust support of my dealer, I received a new replacement kit. 

Wilson

• Like 1

On 4/15/2019 at 10:37 AM, wlaidlaw said:

I have received the iShoot tripod support ring to use on my 500mm MR-Telyt-R. It fits very snugly, just as if it was an original Leica item and is very well made, like other iShoot items I have bought. The only thing to be careful of is to align the raised red dot on the lens, with the gap in the ring when mounting the ring on the lens. You will then have to rotate the lens in the ring before tightening down. There is even a vertical alignment mark on the ring to help with the alignment. Someone has really had their thinking cap on for this accessory. The Arca compatible foot can be reversed, which I will probably do. They even supply the correct hex key to do this.

Here is a photo of my CL with R to L adapter, 2X APO Extender-R and the 500 MR Telyt on the iShoot support ring, giving the equivalent of a 1500mm lens. This works better than I expected but would have to be used on a very clear day. It picks up atmospheric haze and dust, which your eyes-brain edit out. 

Wilson

Pressure can distort the primary mirror so best not to tighten too much. Astronomers do not fully tighten their reflector telescopes 'tube rings' and thus avoid mirror distortion.  

dunk

• Thanks 2