wlaidlaw

Does anyone know of a tripod support/mount ring for the 500mm MR-Telyt-R?

Although the 500mm MR-Telyt-R lens is not too heavy and you can use the camera support mount, as both my R cameras (4-MOT and 9) use Motor-Winders, the tripod support socket on the motors, is a bit off-centre and too high. It is therefore, quite difficult to make fine alignment adjustments by swivelling and tilting the camera. This is much easier if you are using a support ring on the lens. If this has a quick release like the Canon ring I use on my 80-200/4 Vario-Elmar-R, you can also make quick changes from landscape to portrait. Did Leica make a ring mount to fit (maybe the 100mm Macro lens ring) or if not, does anyone know of any other support ring, which might fit? The barrel diameter of the MR Telyt is 87mm. 

Wilson

I was looking for something similar recently and noticed that Novoflex make a number of ring mounts. I'm sure they do one that's around 94 or 95 mm which I suppose you could adapt with some foam or similar to make up the difference.

48 minutes ago, wlaidlaw said:

Although the 500mm MR-Telyt-R lens is not too heavy and you can use the camera support mount, as both my R cameras (4-MOT and 9) use Motor-Winders, the tripod support socket on the motors, is a bit off-centre and too high. It is therefore, quite difficult to make fine alignment adjustments by swivelling and tilting the camera. This is much easier if you are using a support ring on the lens. If this has a quick release like the Canon ring I use on my 80-200/4 Vario-Elmar-R, you can also make quick changes from landscape to portrait. Did Leica make a ring mount to fit (maybe the 100mm Macro lens ring) or if not, does anyone know of any other support ring, which might fit? The barrel diameter of the MR Telyt is 87mm. 

Wilson

you mean like this ?

https://www.mengsphoto.com/portfolio_page/mengs-tripod-mount-ring-for-leica-mr-telyt-r-r5008/

https://www.gumptrade.com/14020001201.html

The one I have found is for the Sigma 120-300 f2.8 lens, made by iShoot https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CNC-Lens-Holder-Tripod-Mount-Ring-to-Sigma-120-300mm-f-2-8-DG-OS-HSM-Sports-Lens/113596838983?hash=item1a72e63447:g:qB0AAOSw43JbrfXb It has the advantage over the Mengsphoto one of not only being cheaper but it has an Arca compatible foot. They are available from various sellers in China and HK, all at the same price. I will probably buy from HK, as post seems more reliable from there compared with the mainland. 

Wilson

I have ended up buying the iShoot tripod ring from Highland Photo, as although it is a bit more expensive, it avoids the lottery of duty + tax payment + spoonage etc for a far east shipment. 

Wilson

I have received the iShoot tripod support ring to use on my 500mm MR-Telyt-R. It fits very snugly, just as if it was an original Leica item and is very well made, like other iShoot items I have bought. The only thing to be careful of is to align the raised red dot on the lens, with the gap in the ring when mounting the ring on the lens. You will then have to rotate the lens in the ring before tightening down. There is even a vertical alignment mark on the ring to help with the alignment. Someone has really had their thinking cap on for this accessory. The Arca compatible foot can be reversed, which I will probably do. They even supply the correct hex key to do this.

Here is a photo of my CL with R to L adapter, 2X APO Extender-R and the 500 MR Telyt on the iShoot support ring, giving the equivalent of a 1500mm lens. This works better than I expected but would have to be used on a very clear day. It picks up atmospheric haze and dust, which your eyes-brain edit out. 

Wilson

9 minutes ago, frame-it said:

nice :) please post a few photos after you shoot

It will probably need to wait until I get down to France after Easter, where my house is on the edge of a 500 metre high escarpment, with fantastic views to Aix-en-Provence some 80km away. If it has rained during the night, to clear all the dust away, it can sometimes be very clear early in the morning, before the traffic gets going. In the UK my house is in the middle of a lot of agricultural land with tractors buzzing away, making loads of dust plus in the busy south of England, atmospheric haze/photochemical smog is an ever present hazard to very long lens photography. 

Wilson

1 hour ago, frame-it said:

so Skylight filters really help much with haze ?

I am not using a Skylight filter on the front of the MR-Telyt. There was a very degraded UV-A filter with very scratched coating on the front of the lens when I got it. The original cover glass on the front of the lens was immaculate, so the filter had obviously worked well as protection. On the back of the lens, there is a Leica UV-C filter, which is apparently part of the optical formula and must be retained. I did not think the lens needed 2 UV filters, so I have just put an MRC Hoya protective filter on the front. Having been using skylight, UV-A and polarising filters while in India, the first two seem to have little if any effect on haze, whereas the polarising filter has some effect but not a whole lot. The de-haze tool in PS is a lot more effective. 

Wilson

1 minute ago, wlaidlaw said:

I am not using a Skylight filter on the front of the MR-Telyt. There was a very degraded UV-A filter with very scratched coating on the front of the lens when I got it. The original cover glass on the front of the lens was immaculate, so the filter had obviously worked well as protection. On the back of the lens, there is a Leica UV-C filter, which is apparently part of the optical formula and must be retained. I did not think the lens needed 2 UV filters, so I have just put an MRC Hoya protective filter on the front. Having been using skylight, UV-A and polarising filters while in India, the first two seem to have little if any effect on haze, whereas the polarising filter has some effect but not a whole lot. The de-haze tool in PS is a lot more effective. 

Wilson

nice... good to know..i unfortunately don't have dehaze as im on LR 6.14 and C1v12

Hello Everybody,

I don't think that there are any filters being produced today, UVa or otherwise, that will remove the effect of particulate matter in the atmosphere from a photo.

The purpose of a UV filter of any type is to remove the Ultraviolet Rays from the light hitting the film/sensor surface. Since film emulsions & digital sensors are both sensitive to Ultraviolet Light. Meaning that those Ultraviolet Light Rays would add to the exposure.

By the way Wilson, are you sure that the 39 X 0,5 filter in the back is a UVc?

Best Regards,

Michael

Edited by Michael Geschlecht

1 hour ago, Michael Geschlecht said:

By the way Wilson, are you sure that the 39 X 0,5 filter in the back is a UVc?

Best Regards,

Michael

That is what it says on the side. UV-C. I can't take a photo as I have packed this lens away ready for my trip to France for the summer. 

Wilson

1 hour ago, gbealnz said:

Point it towards the moon some time Wilson, my "usual" lunar picture scope is 1250mm so this at 1500m should really sing.

Gary

Again, I will wait until France, where there is very little light pollution. I tried with my Tele-Tessar 1200 mm lens but that was on the M240, whose high ISO performance is not as good as the CL. 

Wilson

While I see your point, light pollution isn't the deciding factor with lunar shooting, atmospherics is the key. Regardless, try it, it will be good to see the results.

Gasry

10 hours ago, wlaidlaw said:

Wilson

The lens is not meant to be used without the rear filter, nor with a front one. The standard rear one is indeed UV, but it comes with a set of four rear filters hidden inside the lid of its leather case: red, orange, yellow and ND 4x.

Jaap, 

I have been told that the front cover glass is easily scratched, so I think I will continue with the protective filter. Given it is a good quality MRC Hoya (who it is thought may make some of the Leica branded filters) and is only protective not optical, it should have minimal effect on the imaging. I don't have that case you show but the fitted Leica one for an R4 with the 500mm MR-Telyt mounted. There were some empty filter boxes in the case but the only back filter I have is the UV. If I bought more and the only one I would like is an orange, I would have to make sure it was special extra flat ground one from either Leica or Minolta. However given what good quality modern filters from the likes of B+W and Rodenstock are, I suspect they are as flat as the original ones were. The current filter is marked Leitz 500/8 Telyt UVc Made in Japan and is 32mm but with what looks like an 0.5mm thread pitch. I wonder if it is actually UVa but the white paint either did not go into the upright stroke of the a or has come out. 

Wilson

Actually those filter set is dedicated to the lens. I doubt whether it resolves enough for a filter to make a difference.

I have bought a new and unused Leica yellow 500/8 filter on eBay. People seemed to be asking a lot more for the orange. Actually given the slow speed of the lens, yellow might be a better choice, as I think it is only -1.5EV not -3 like the orange. 

Wilson