7Artisans 35mm f2.0

Telemetric

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor einer Stunde schrieb humerc:

Got my 7Artisans 35/2.0 today, so far everything good. BUT: it has no 6Bit Coding! Have they changed anything?

The are prepared for 6-Bit coding.
You only have to colorize the fields with the desired code ;)

https://lavidaleica.com/content/leica-lens-codes#codes

Edited by cp995

38 minutes ago, Telemetric said:

Like mine! I would like better 7Artisans instead of Leica. IMO is a bit fake. Well, not a bit, totally! 🤣

I have both lenses and prefer the smoother OoF rendition of the Leica but otherwise the 7art 35/2 is a sharp lens indeed. I suspect the coding of our copies does not comply with some German regulations but i may be wrong. 

These were on eBay US a couple of weeks ago - gives some perspective on prices. 🤔

Not sure which one sold.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

14 hours ago, humerc said:

Here is the feedback from 7 Artisans:

“It had 6-bit coding before but lots of users said it didn't function so well. Therefore, we cancelled it.“

I think they gave you a b****hit answer. The code on my (early) copy works fine across all generations of digital Ms. They probably got copyright pressure - and might at some point come up with a mount groove "à la Voigtlander" (unless there's already one on your lens?) to help users paint the codes themselves...

Edited by Ecar

Yes, I also think they had problems with the copyrights, what should not work with 6bit coding, its not high end technology...

But it does not really matter to me, the lens performs significantly better than my 50 year old summicon35 also without coding

• Like 1

Mine came coded, which I thought would go against Leica’s patents, and I’d guess that’s why they stopped. Perhaps China finally started clamping down on such things.

I agree the lens is much better than the price suggests. I’ve again experimented with calibrating the focus cam, as I had adjusted per their instructions at 2 meters, and found it a bit off at 3.5 meters. Set it exact at 3.5, and it was off at 1.5. So the cam isn’t perfectly shaped, likely because it’s a sloped cam. But I’ve compromised between the two settings, and have it quite usable now, biased a bit towards the close range where I’m likely to shoot more wide open and close (indoors).

Of course focus is no problem with the 020 and live view, but that’s not why I use an M. 

On 6/10/2019 at 4:59 PM, jdlaing said:

7artisans 35mm = $288.00 new.

Summarit 35mm = $1,995.00 new.

Don't know why, but I'm keeping my Summarit as the only Leica lens I'm finding worth to keep and if I ever get another 35 it is going to be $700+ Nokton II. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ko.Fe. said:

Don't know why, but I'm keeping my Summarit as the only Leica lens I'm finding worth to keep and if I ever get another 35 it is going to be $700+ Nokton II. 

I agree - after I try others (I have several 35s - don’t ask about 50s) it’s the Summarit that ends up on the camera. But I have enjoyed the Norton I, so I’ll try the II to see if it fixes the focus shift.

• Thanks 1

Well, I didn't buy the Summarit 35mm because i have the 28mm and the 50mm so, in my opinion, it has no sense. But for less than $300 I bought the 35mm to play a bit with it. The point is I love the results and I think I will use it more often that I expected so if one day I have a project that needs to be done with that focal length I will use it. 

3 hours ago, Telemetric said:

Well, I didn't buy the Summarit 35mm because i have the 28mm and the 50mm so, in my opinion, it has no sense. But for less than $300 I bought the 35mm to play a bit with it. The point is I love the results and I think I will use it more often that I expected so if one day I have a project that needs to be done with that focal length I will use it. 

Certainly makes sense. With the same logic I bought a Voigtlander 21 f4 as I seldom use a 21. The lens fits my needs, so I doubt if I'll ever "upgrade."

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 6/10/2019 at 11:13 PM, Ecar said:

I think they gave you a b****hit answer. The code on my (early) copy works fine across all generations of digital Ms. They probably got copyright pressure - and might at some point come up with a mount groove "à la Voigtlander" (unless there's already one on your lens?) to help users paint the codes themselves...

Mine dont work at all, 4 black and 2 white but body and LRC don't got it