7Artisans 35mm f2.0

Telemetric

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I got curious about the M mount 7Artisans 35 f2 after my experience with the Sony mount version, so I picked one up last week. The overall construction quality seems quite good, like the Sony mount version, and I was glad to see they decreased the flare by apparently better blackening of the element edges and internal surfaces. I found a 43mm generic vented hood works very well. The images look good, and are quite sharp even at f2, as I tried several close range detail shots.

However, as others have reported, while the focus was quite accurate up close, and appears good also at infinity, at middle distances (15-20 feet) the focus was clearly off a bit, comparing M10 live view to the RF focus. I will try adjusting it, but their design choices make me suspect it may not be adjustable to be perfect at all distances.

To reduce cost - and make the focus feel very light (it is good), they made the lens focus cam similar to the old Leica CL 40 & 90 mm lenses. That is the cam cylinder doesn't move front to back during focus, but simply turns, and the cam action is accomplished by a sloping cam surface:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Leica M rangefinders are designed to work with a focus cam where the cam surface stays parallel (essentially) to the lens flange, and the surface moves front-to-back by a helicoid that matches how a 50mm lens would move over the focus distance. So any Leica lens other than 50 mm needs a 2nd helicoid to move the cam a different distance the lens elements move to focus. This makes a more expensive and complex mechanism, but keeps the cam surface parallel to the mount, so the cam follower always rides on this parallel surface, as in the 1969 35 Summicron:

The issue is that the sloped cam of the 7Artisans contacts the RF cam follower at a slightly different position than a true M mount lens. Also, the RF cam follower actually moves in an arc on its lever arm, so the contact point on a sloping cam will shift the contact point slightly and differently than a parallel cam surface.

Leica used to warn that the Leica CL lenses may not focus perfectly on every M body, although my CL lenses have seemed fine on film bodies. It's worth noting that when Minolta made their CLE and added a wider (28mm) lens that they stopped using a sloping cam on all the CLE lenses and added the 2nd helicoid as Leica does with their M lenses.

Even so, I think the 7Artisans lens may do quite well for most shots, as longer distances are usually outdoors where the lens is normally stopped down where DOF increases.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/10/2019 at 10:43 AM, Telemetric said:

Good morning,

I used until now just Leica lenses. I am not a "lense collector" and I only buy a lense when I need it for project... until now. 

Two days ago, I saw an offer for a 7Artisan 35mm f2.0 and it was very cheap (less than 300€ lense hood included). I have to say that I use mainly a 28mm, followed by the 50mm and the 21mm so I am not a "35mm man", but for it's price and without wishing to set a precedent I bought it just to have it (for it's price).

I guess is not gonna have the quality of Leica lenses but I will post here my opinion. about it.

P.S. I have made a research here and the only post I have found about this lense is in german. If is there any other in english just let me know and I will continue there.

5 hours ago, Ko.Fe. said:

six pages thread.

As I said, I have made a research first and I did not find that post,

Sorry. 

8 hours ago, TomB_tx said:

I got curious about the M mount 7Artisans 35 f2 after my experience with the Sony mount version, so I picked one up last week. The overall construction quality seems quite good, like the Sony mount version, and I was glad to see they decreased the flare by apparently better blackening of the element edges and internal surfaces. I found a 43mm generic vented hood works very well. The images look good, and are quite sharp even at f2, as I tried several close range detail shots.

However, as others have reported, while the focus was quite accurate up close, and appears good also at infinity, at middle distances (15-20 feet) the focus was clearly off a bit, comparing M10 live view to the RF focus. I will try adjusting it, but their design choices make me suspect it may not be adjustable to be perfect at all distances.

To reduce cost - and make the focus feel very light (it is good), they made the lens focus cam similar to the old Leica CL 40 & 90 mm lenses. That is the cam cylinder doesn't move front to back during focus, but simply turns, and the cam action is accomplished by a sloping cam surface:

Leica M rangefinders are designed to work with a focus cam where the cam surface stays parallel (essentially) to the lens flange, and the surface moves front-to-back by a helicoid that matches how a 50mm lens would move over the focus distance. So any Leica lens other than 50 mm needs a 2nd helicoid to move the cam a different distance the lens elements move to focus. This makes a more expensive and complex mechanism, but keeps the cam surface parallel to the mount, so the cam follower always rides on this parallel surface, as in the 1969 35 Summicron:

The issue is that the sloped cam of the 7Artisans contacts the RF cam follower at a slightly different position than a true M mount lens. Also, the RF cam follower actually moves in an arc on its lever arm, so the contact point on a sloping cam will shift the contact point slightly and differently than a parallel cam surface.

Leica used to warn that the Leica CL lenses may not focus perfectly on every M body, although my CL lenses have seemed fine on film bodies. It's worth noting that when Minolta made their CLE and added a wider (28mm) lens that they stopped using a sloping cam on all the CLE lenses and added the 2nd helicoid as Leica does with their M lenses.

Even so, I think the 7Artisans lens may do quite well for most shots, as longer distances are usually outdoors where the lens is normally stopped down where DOF increases.

Thanks for your post. 

I tested the 50mm f1.1 this weekend first. I will test the 35mm soon. At least, I had time to adjust it :)

• 3 weeks later...

I had the 50mm 1.1 and I did not like the non-click f/stops. Also, the lens was horribly out of focus and the chart and screwdriver enclosed with the lens was cumbersome to adjust. However, the 35 f/2 is quite good and I use it on my CL (in manual ) and my M8.2 often--is it as good as my 35mm f/2 Leica? a tad off at the edges, but at f/4 - f/8 very similar and when I am in a busy area (i.e., stadium, etc.), I use the 7artisans 35mm and the results are quite good. To reduce flare, I bought a short B&W rubber hood which has been helpful (about $12 US at B&H Photo). The only thing I don't like about the 7Artisans 35mm is that lack of half-stops-f/stops are full only.

As an aside, I just bought the 55mm 7artisan L-mount lens. Does anyone have experience with that one yet? it's been ok so far, but I haven't used it much as the CL shines with the Leica lenses.

Here you have.

I am pretty happy with this lense.

The clown by Carlos Permuy, en Flickr

• Like 9

On 5/2/2019 at 8:47 AM, james.liam said:

So, you’re all enamored by lenses you pay little for and need to adjust yourself, producing images that a circa-1980 Leica can do better. 

Now I understand.

🤨

Nope. I don’t think you understand at all.

A lens that you can adjust. A lens that is very inexpensive and relatively small that produces a fine modern looking sharp image.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just now, jdlaing said:

Nope. I don’t think you understand at all.

A lens that you can adjust. A lens that is very inexpensive and relatively small that produces a fine modern looking sharp image.

Exactly. Completely agree. 

For its prize is amazing. 

• Like 1

Well, I have the Elmarit 28mm. I bought the 35 because I did not have any and the 50mm for its price and the aperture but I am not sure about the 7Artisans 28mm. If is big, I think I am not interested in it. 

I will check it, anyway :)

Thanks for the suggestion!

• 1 month later...