dkmoore

35 Summilux Canada - Just purchased - have questions

2 hours ago, lct said:

Now the pre-asph 35/1.4 is an inferior lens in that it has more flare, more coma and hardly less focus shift to be honest but it shows below f/2.8 only on my copy

"Inferior" is a subjective term because it implies that these things aren't wanted whereas some of us are quite happy for the lens to exhibit these traits that add to its "character" for certain pictures.😊

Pete.

I have a like new 28 Lux posted for sale on fleabay if anyone is interested in some sort of trade plus cash for the 35 Lux pre-ASPH. 

I decided to keep the 28 Cron V2 and 28 Sammaron and part ways with the Lux because it is just sitting around bored. 

1 hour ago, farnz said:

"Inferior" is a subjective term because it implies that these things aren't wanted whereas some of us are quite happy for the lens to exhibit these traits that add to its "character" for certain pictures.😊

Pete.

I meant it is an inferior lens optically but i do like its defects of course. In fact i prefer inferior lenses generally, superior ones are son boring. Like superior people sort of :D.

3 hours ago, dkmoore said:

I need to keep on the search because all of those imperfections is exactly what I'm looking for, the more flare, more coma, less micro contract. 

Obviously don't need any focus shift in my life.

The Summilux 35/1.4 pre-asph has some focus shift as i said above, at least my v2 copy does suffer from it. But it is not the same as that of lenses like Summilux 35/1.4 asph pre-FLE or Summicron 35/2 v4. My copy is calibrated to be accurate at f/2.8 and focus shift is only significant at f/1.4 and f/2 which accentuates the softness of the lens there. A bit like some copies of the Sonnar 50/1.5 to a lesser extent. But it is a problem on rangefinders only, not on mirrorless cameras when focusing at working aperture of course.

Edited by lct

1 hour ago, lct said:

The Summilux 35/1.4 pre-asph has some focus shift as i said above, at least my v2 copy does suffer from it. But it is not the same as that of lenses like Summilux 35/1.4 asph pre-FLE or Summicron 35/2 v4. My copy is calibrated to be accurate at f/2.8 and focus shift is only significant at f/1.4 and f/2 which accentuates the softness of the lens there. A bit like some copies of the Sonnar 50/1.5 to a lesser extent. But it is a problem on rangefinders only, not on mirrorless cameras when focusing at working aperture of course.

The first copy I had seemed to be perfect at 1.4. I checked using LV and the RF while mounted to a tripod. It had just been adjusted. I'm actually hoping that the scratch in the front element turns out to be just a hair that got under the front element while being cleaned and adjusted because the condition otherwise was fantastic. we shall see. 

On ‎4‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 12:19 PM, lct said:

I believe you had posted about different metal lens shades a while back. I think I found a MINT copy of the 35 Lux pre-asph from M&K in Hong Kong.

It doesn't have a hood but they are willing to add in the Leica 12585 metal hood. Do you or anyone else know if that hood will fit the pre-asph 35 lux?

9 minutes ago, dkmoore said:

It doesn't have a hood but they are willing to add in the Leica 12585 metal hood. Do you or anyone else know if that hood will fit the pre-asph 35 lux?

Look for Leica 12504 hoods. I cannot count how many I have replaced on the old daily newspaper job, but in the past several years the crappy Chinese copies have been surpassed so that there are perfectly adequate Chinese clones for a fraction of Leica's prices. If you plan to us Series VII filters be sure to get the two-part hood.

Best of luck to you1

15 minutes ago, dkmoore said:

I believe you had posted about different metal lens shades a while back. I think I found a MINT copy of the 35 Lux pre-asph from M&K in Hong Kong.It doesn't have a hood but they are willing to add in the Leica 12585 metal hood. Do you or anyone else know if that hood will fit the pre-asph 35 lux?

The 12585 hood is not made for the Summilux , only Summicron, Summaron and Elmar 50. As Pico said above, look for the 12504, unless you plan to use your lens on APS bodies only.

1 hour ago, pico said:

Look for Leica 12504 hoods. I cannot count how many I have replaced on the old daily newspaper job, but in the past several years the crappy Chinese copies have been surpassed so that there are perfectly adequate Chinese clones for a fraction of Leica's prices. If you plan to us Series VII filters be sure to get the two-part hood.

Best of luck to you1

They wanted some absurd amount for the hood (maybe that’s normal). The lens was already more then I wanted to spend but hopefully this one is as described. I’ve never bought anything from M&K but they have a great record and I asked about the glass three times, ha!

1 hour ago, lct said:

The 12585 hood is not made for the Summilux , only Summicron, Summaron and Elmar 50. As Pico said above, look for the 12504, unless you plan to use your lens on APS bodies only.

The folks I bought it from insisted that the 12585 works with the Lux. It was $100 in mint condition. 

Ive found myself in this situation before and i should have just ponied up the extra $200. So little money in the grand scheme of Leica. 

I’ve got to imagine 12585 will fit but maybe it will cause vignette or won’t protect it from flare? Or maybe it doesn’t mount correctly. We will see if my cheapness pays off..

7 minutes ago, dkmoore said:

The folks I bought it from insisted that the 12585 works with the Lux. It was $100 in mint condition. 

Ive found myself in this situation before and i should have just ponied up the extra $200. So little money in the grand scheme of Leica. 

I’ve got to imagine 12585 will fit but maybe it will cause vignette or won’t protect it from flare? Or maybe it doesn’t mount correctly. We will see if my cheapness pays off..

Can't answer this. Leica Wiki states that hoods are 12504 or 12526: http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-wiki.en/index.php/35mm_f/1.4_Summilux_II

My lens has a 12504 with a series VII UV filter sandwiched between the two parts of the hood.

45 minutes ago, pico said:

12504 clone and be happy. It works for me.

I didn't realize they were that readily available on eBay. I should have looked! That is what I will do if this hood doesn't fit.

Does anyone know what issues there may be using the 12585 on the 35 Lux?

M&K assures me the hood fits. 

Hood 12585 is for 50mm lenses.

It does fit on 35mm pre-asph. M lenses, but it can bring some vignetting.

When I used 12585 on Summilux or Summicron 35, depending on aperture about 5% of black corners.

Easy to find out with LV or EVF.

12504 is the hood designed for 35mm A42 lenses.

Thanks, that is disappointing but I guess not the end of the world. I'm assuming wide open would bring the most vignette?

I should have looked this up earlier but I also can't find any reliable source that tells me what the import duty and fees will be for the $2,400.00 lens.

Any recommendations of where/how to figure this out?

I saw some that said it would be $500 and some that said it may be zero because its a used lens.

57 minutes ago, a.noctilux said:

Hood 12585 is for 50mm lenses.

It does fit on 35mm pre-asph. M lenses, but it can bring some vignetting.

When I used 12585 on Summilux or Summicron 35, depending on aperture about 5% of black corners.

Easy to find out with LV or EVF.

12504 is the hood designed for 35mm A42 lenses.

9 hours ago, dkmoore said:

Does anyone know what issues there may be using the 12585 on the 35 Lux?

M&K assures me the hood fits. 

This lens has no filter thread. As written above, you need 12504
or a clone of it if you intend to use a filter without resorting to a hack.

43 minutes ago, Jul said:

This lens has no filter thread. As written above, you need 12504
or a clone of it if you intend to use a filter without resorting to a hack.

The 12585 is not a screw on hood. It clips on exactly the same as the 12504, the barrel portion is just bigger. 

The question is more: what affect on IQ will it have?

28 minutes ago, dkmoore said:

The 12585 is not a screw on hood. It clips on exactly the same as the 12504, the barrel portion is just bigger. 

The question is more: what affect on IQ will it have?

I know that the 12585 clips on, the lack of a filter thread
I alluded to was meant to raise awareness on the ability (or the lack thereof)
to use a… filter without the proper hood.

The concern on IQ is already answered to several times in above posts:
vignetting and the inability to use a filter.

If you shoot black and white, a colored filter can enhance IQ.
How would you, without resorting to a hack, fit a filter on a lens
without filter thread if you don't have the proper two part
unscrewing hood to put the filter in?

If you are not concerned by anything I wrote above, just disregard.

18 minutes ago, Jul said:

I know that the 12585 clips on, the lack of a filter thread I alluded to was meant to raise awareness on the ability (or the lack thereof) to use a… filter without the proper hood.

+1. The only way to use a filter on this lens is to insert in between the two halves of the 12504 hood or Chinese copies of it i have no experience with.